Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

12,201 to 12,220 of 19,623 messages
23/03/2013 at 20:43
How is DV?
ATM
23/03/2013 at 20:55

He's fine, PC19. He's home, his ankle is sore but he'll live and he sys it was fun... the conditions were terrible and he was sliding allover the place.No doubt he'll bring us up to date when he's completely thawed out and fed. I don't know any of these people   http://www.centurionrunning.com/live/2013-tp100/   but I can't help thinking about them. Emmy, are any of your friends doing this?

RS, yellow? *I always get a bit psyched out when I see runners wearing finishers' shirts.Maybe that's the idea.

ATM
23/03/2013 at 21:04
RS - Hal would say that it is fine, as long as it matches your shoes
23/03/2013 at 21:06
Yep, ive got 5 friends still running it. There's been a comms breakdown as the site isn't being updated correctly but from what I can hear from FB - most of them are ok. 3 of them are 'old dogs" when it comes to 100 milers so have settled into the pace quite easy and are holding strong. The leader pack are going well. For the newbies - it looks like they're struggling according to the results/feedback but it could just be a bad 10 miles. It's utterly awful conditions and I worry about the volunteers at the checkpoints. It's going to be a long cold night.

I'm going to keep an eye on them tonight.
23/03/2013 at 21:07
RS - I think it's ok - as long as its a race you've run and it's comfortable.
23/03/2013 at 21:21

Its some time since I have posted on this thread. I am busy on 2 other threads and have struggled to find the time to keep them going as well as the running and a very busy period at work.

Good to see that most are doing ok despite this crazy weather.  Anyone got any idea what the weather for the race in Paris is going to be like ?

This week has been a bit of a disaster for me. Having pushed on from a new PB of 1:41 on a hilly HM course and completed my 5th 20 mile LSR (I have only ever done 1 20 miler in my previous 2 marathon attaempts) last Saturday, I was beginning to think that something close to 3:30 was possible. My original aim was for 3:45 having never broke the 4 hour mark before.

Have been knocked sideways with a chest infection of some sort and have been struggling all week to shake it off. Thought yesterday that I had got the better of it but it came back with a vengence today.

So week 1 of my taper has seen no running with me dosing myself with every possible remedy on top of antibiotics that the doctor gave me because I said I was running the marathon but he said I had a virus and that they probably would not help.

Am still planning on getting to Paris but very concerned about the impact of this on my ability to run  a decent race.

Had to pay the doctor £20 to sign the medical certificate. What a rip off,

ATM - thanks for all the updates. Loved the video. My race number is 20737. Do I need to bring anything else to the Expo ?

Just 2 weeks to go. Have to give serious consideration to what running gear to wear on the day. I have never run with music. I do most of my running in London and find that I need to be aware of what is going on around me with traffic, people, pushcharirs, bikes etc and have always thought that music may get in the way. But each to their own.

Hoping to run this coming week sometime. Had originally planned a normal midweek running regime with a 12 mile LSR for today. Then from next week I was going to reduce the mid week runs and pace and drop the LSR back to 8 miles. Now I have no idea what I should do. Am thinking that I should do a normal week of running if I can get out on Tuesday. Any suggestions ?

23/03/2013 at 21:32
ATM wrote (see)

Malcs, I was just thinking about you....'not in a creepy way , I swear.I keep forgetting that you're not actually doing Paris. As I remember, you're a few weeks' behind' us, right? So, you might have more LSRs to do? Do you run with music? Have you thought about downloading the mp3' guide' from the Paris site.It 'talks' you through the course...to music...pointing out the sights.You choose your own' time goal' so that the pace is ok..You could always do a LSR the day we're racing and follow us in spirit... * Well, it's blizzarding outside and I have too much time on my hands...*

Ha - no creepyness assumed  Yes, that's right I won't be at Paris but I'll be thinking of you all. It's quite nice because with all the talk here I feel like I'm tapering already.

Not a music when running fan but the mp3 guide just might persuade me  I can't watch London on TV anymore because I just get too jealous. I reckon I'll have similar envy when you're all in Paris so your suggestion could just save me - many thanks!

DV - really bad luck with the injury. I guess if you were going to have to pull out of one then this one, with the conditions so bad, was not a bad one to pick.  

23/03/2013 at 21:32

Carl, sounds like you've trained well mate and you're ready to run Paris. A few days off running with the chest infection is probably doing your muscles a favour and i doubt you'll lose much from the lay off in terms of fitness. The most important thing is you clear that infection up. when you are sure it's gone away between now and the big day, have a few good runs and you'll be fine, don't worry about LSRs. Of course if you think you want to have a long one - i'm also based in London and desperate for someone to run with tomorrow morning (couple of hours duration / a minute per mile shy of target marathon pace - probably similar to yours by the sounds of it) cause it's gonna be so cold'n'orrible! I'm setting off from east finchley around 7am heading to the Thames/Waterloo Bridge by about 7.45 (thats silly o'clock but my kids will have me up at 6 so it makes sense)  - give me a shout back if you want to join in!

ATM
23/03/2013 at 21:38

Carl, at the Expo you need your Medical Certificate, your passport and your Convocation .

ATM
ATM
23/03/2013 at 21:43

Jings, Emmy.I'd forgotten all about the Volunteers. They must be frozen. Good job, the TP100 volunteers!

ATM
23/03/2013 at 21:46

ATM - I dont know, I'm an iPhone person. Sorry 

RS - I think it's ok to wear last year's shirt - as long as you are absolutely confident you'll finish. We are, so let's see it.

23/03/2013 at 21:49
I have more friends volunteering than running today. They've all got full winter layers on and trying to keep the guys warm. I saw a comment earlier that at one checkpoint they couldn't open the gas tank to start getting a cuppa going as the valve had frozen shut!

It looks like all of the runners are well prepared though in proper clothes as well as changes of clothes at regular intervals.
23/03/2013 at 21:49
RS - I'd say its fine. I've seen plenty of runners at events with finishers or event shirts from previous years.
23/03/2013 at 22:11
Just been out for a 20k at MP . I felt a bit guilt as there is no snow here, nor gale force winds, neither plagues of locusts. I feel sorry for you lot living nearer to the north pole. Paris is going to be cloudy with showers next week but too early to have an idea for the 7th although spring should arrive before September.
23/03/2013 at 22:42

I was really loking forward to seeing the live results at  theTP100 website.  Looks like the weather is causing issues.  Good to hear DV is doing well and updating people by other means.

Carl, weather here in Paris is very nice at the moment, and the only forcast for the 7th I've seen says high of 10 and low of 1.   Sounds comfy to me if that holds true.  

23/03/2013 at 22:43

Can anyone fix the font size?  I'd like to see my spelling errors BEFORE I hit send.  

23/03/2013 at 23:42
RS - 100% fine to wear last year's top. For Berlin 1 I wore my Amsterdam top. For Berlin 2 I wore the Berlin top from the year before. (I have no pictures as the Vaseline made me look like I was lactating!) You'll look great!
24/03/2013 at 00:21
14 mile run today , and after weeks of long slow runs it felt good to up the pace for a long run , weather was so bad , wind cutting thru me but got the 14 mile in under 1:59 .prob 6 mins quicker than I thought I would do it in , must've been my choice of music -- fifties stuff
I always need music when I'm running as well ,, even for a 5km
24/03/2013 at 01:16
Scott - good work, great timing.

I used to be the same but stopped using my ipod at Parkrun and didn't really miss it. The Half was fine - chatted with others, no spectators really - but not sure if will abandon for Paris...

Sometimes, when you're really down in it, a song can put you back on track, but reduces the sociability... So, when I'm training on my own as usual, it's invaluable.
24/03/2013 at 01:22
Ps . ATM - love running to music. Always cool to compare playlists.

5/10k for me - rock: Deftones, Metallica, propulsive...

Half - my selection of relatively fast-paced rock, often Jane's Addiction, Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails, you get the idea.

Marathon - more chilled vibes, feel good music such as U2, Interpol, The National, Primal Scream.

Eh. Each to his/her own!
12,201 to 12,220 of 19,623 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.