Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

12,261 to 12,280 of 19,627 messages
24/03/2013 at 11:23

I can't wait for the early light mornings, so I can get all my training done again at KOC. The joy of heading to work on a morning with  miles already run or a circuit training class already done will be good! And I will have so much more free time to garden, walk dog.........Sunbathe?!?!?

Edited: 24/03/2013 at 11:25
24/03/2013 at 11:57
Couple of PBs today in the GPS data, .6min05secs for a mile and 3.29 for a km. Wasn't expecting those, at times today I did "take off" when I wasn't running into a headwind!
Dark Vader    pirate
24/03/2013 at 12:08

Just back from sainsburys...   it was definitely a good decision to stop..  my ankle and achilles is sore again...  earlier this morning I was questioning my decision and thinking that perhaps I should have kept going for a bit longer, but now I'm in no doubt that it was the right decision.

Lots of runners out today....  

24/03/2013 at 12:10
TJB - you're flying dude.

Curry and beer last night have meant I am recuperating without a run this am... Boy, idiotic behaviour.

So, was checking out some other RW threads. I had only ever really been on this one and last year's Berlin thread. People are REALLY nice on this one. A fair amount of hurtful sarcasm and name-calling it would seem on some of the others. You feel like telling everyone to grow up. So, I'm sticking to this one. Forever.
24/03/2013 at 12:12
What I mean is, you people are great. Thanks.

I look forward to breaking bread, pasta and wine with y'all soon.
24/03/2013 at 12:13

Good call Iain- I'm on another marathon thread but this is by far the friendliest. And wait till you meet them !

22 miles for me this morning in the windiest conditions I've experienced for a long time. Good mara campaigns are made of runs like that....

24/03/2013 at 12:17

IM2 - I'm with you on that. Some of the other threads are quite abusive and there seem to be some characters who are just out to troll.

I think there are a large number of long standing disagreements amongst some of the participants out there so as soon as one of them posts the others begin a flame war. Pah.

The Berlin thread is quite nice but that could be because it is 'Son of Paris'.

24/03/2013 at 12:23
DV - wise choice, and well done for the run! Until November I would have said that I could not imagine anyone running in those conditions, but I saw what you ran to Brighton in, so now I say, "well, no-one but DV!" Great job.

RS - in the same way that I can see DV in these extreme runs, I see you I the marathon. I cannot imagine you'll not finish simply because that's not possible.

Two weeks. Hard to believe. So cool. Might sound corny, but I think I'm more excited at seeing you lot than the marathon itself. Maybe.
Edited: 24/03/2013 at 12:24
24/03/2013 at 12:30

Here here to all the above!!

We're excited but I have an eleven yr old packing one handed as we 'speak'.......I think I may be in for a very long few days!! I love seeing her like this really!!!

24/03/2013 at 12:59
Orbutt - 'son of Paris' - I love it!

Dannirr - me too.
24/03/2013 at 13:06

Dannir - me too, I live in the sticks, see no one, so it's great when I venture out of my rural bubble and see/speak to people.  Hopefully two weeks today we'll be in the pub chugging back a wine or four

24/03/2013 at 13:32

15kms done in glorious sunshine this morning.

Yesterday was a rest day but I played Laser Quest with the children - that counts as X-training, right?!

Getting nervous and stupidly superstitious.

2 weeks today!!   

24/03/2013 at 15:26

7 miles yesterday and 13 miles today in a bitter cold wind,my side of my mouth was so num it felt like i had been to the dentist.

It will be nice to meet up with you all on race day by the ark.

The hard work is done now so taper well.

24/03/2013 at 15:46
The Jimbob wrote (see)

Carl, sounds like you've trained well mate and you're ready to run Paris. A few days off running with the chest infection is probably doing your muscles a favour and i doubt you'll lose much from the lay off in terms of fitness. The most important thing is you clear that infection up. when you are sure it's gone away between now and the big day, have a few good runs and you'll be fine, don't worry about LSRs. Of course if you think you want to have a long one - i'm also based in London and desperate for someone to run with tomorrow morning (couple of hours duration / a minute per mile shy of target marathon pace - probably similar to yours by the sounds of it) cause it's gonna be so cold'n'orrible! I'm setting off from east finchley around 7am heading to the Thames/Waterloo Bridge by about 7.45 (thats silly o'clock but my kids will have me up at 6 so it makes sense)  - give me a shout back if you want to join in!

Thanks for the offer but I did not see silly o'clock today. Got up very late and still not fighting fit. Hopefully another few days will have it sorted. Most of my training has been in the dark as mornings in my house are quite busy. I live on the Gospel Oak side of Hampstead Heathh so I would imagine that we run on very similar routes particularly iff heading down to the Thames.

Looks like you had a good run today.

ATM - thanks for the info.

In 2 weeks, all those that turn up at the start will be well finished by now. Only 2 weeks.

24/03/2013 at 15:54
Carl, where exactly do you live? I went to Gospel Oak Primary and grew up in Dartmouth Park, Laurier Rd. I'm a Burghley boy! Family still based round there. Mate I'd be well up for some training in the summer (evenings) I've got Berlin at end of Sept. The LSRs are easier when you have someone to chat to along the way.
24/03/2013 at 16:06
kaz1 wrote (see)

DV - In serious awe of you, running a marathon+ on a twisted ankle......

RS - I am of the decision that 22 on Tuesday is toooo much and I am backing that with my current lazitis!! Now I am thinking - usual 10 tomorrow and 15 on Tuesday then prob my usual 10 on Wednesday, day off Thursday.........But all may be subject to change given weather and meetings this week.... As for the wardrobe situation, if my daughter has her way and she wants my t-shirt co-ordinated with my trainers, my Paris t-shirt would be the only one I could wear but I think it will be Minnie the Minx again!

My face feels like someones skelped it.......

I would skelp it, if i was close enough!  You're in TAPER woman!  35 miles during the week?!?!  You are truly mad, but that's why we luv yah.

T-shirt coordinated with trainers?!?  has she been speaking to Hal?

Well...I didn't get 20 miles in.  Actually got no where near it but I'm happy.  Considering I have a bloody awful cold (virus type) and how cold it is outside (intermitten snow with chill to the bone wind) I'm happy with 13miles (21kms).  The stumpies weren't too happy about it all and my digestive system was not good during or now (figuring it's the virus and blood flow being inhibited but correct me if I'm wrong doctor types), so i'm going to take it as a win.  There's pretty much nothing more I can do now...just tapir to Paris and see where crossing the start line takes me...

Yes, the Paris forum is where it's at!!  I shall repeat my metaphor for it:

"A big warm slightly damp hug with a little too much hip contact that lasts a little longer than you'd like but then you give in and let the good times roll."

24/03/2013 at 16:28
RS - I imagine the muscles have been struggling because of the added demand on blood flow - in general your body has enough to do just fighting infection. I suspect that's also the reason for the stomach upset. Well done on the 21k while unwell, great effort.

I'm due 16k but bad stomach upset/slight hangover mean I remain @home...
24/03/2013 at 16:29
Well done DV - and good call to stop when you did.

Against all sensible advice I ran the Inverurie Half today. I know, I know. Pointy finger already wagged by Mrs Mac. Coldest run I have ever done. Baltic! I even had to wear long sleeves! Targeted 100 minutes and finished in 99:20. Everything still working, but my private bits felt like they had been attacked by copious amounts of Biofreeze. Again....

And my daughter got a 10K PB - 54 minutes. So I am very proud!
24/03/2013 at 16:35

SM - well done, hope you got a J G Ross's buttery at the finish!  

24/03/2013 at 16:40
TP - went for a huge fry up at the 'Dairy'. Nummy.
12,261 to 12,280 of 19,627 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.