Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

12,441 to 12,460 of 19,622 messages
25/03/2013 at 21:23

oh and who else is having the annual giggle at the Paris marathon email's tentative and evocative use of the english language?

"Don't worry if you feel a little bit sick to the stomach during the second half of the race and if you have a hard time refreshing yourself. This sensation, which is certainly disagreeable, is common during a marathon."

25/03/2013 at 21:31

HaHa RS, was just thinking the same about those emails...

"Do not worry if you are slightly "smeared" during the second half of the race and if you are weary to feed you: that feeling, certainly unpleasant, is frequent during a marathon."

The mind boggles!

25/03/2013 at 21:41
Thanks for responses re expo queues, looks like the earlier the better but need to allow a couple of hours :-/
25/03/2013 at 21:42
I think 'slightly smeared' isn't a bad description of the second half of a marathon...

There's a nasty virus going around my office at the moment. Would it be wrong to go into work wearing latex gloves and a beekeeper's veil?
25/03/2013 at 21:45

Jane - Earlier the better. And just remember the three golden tickets you need to pick up your bib: medical certificate, passport and convocation (download and print from your registration page).

RS - I'm sure we've all had a "disagreement" in the latter stages of a marathon!

25/03/2013 at 21:52
Managed 20km on the turbo tonight and a good sweat. Showered and off to bed with a Lemsip. Planning on doing an hour's running in the morning. -4C. End of March. Daft innit?!
25/03/2013 at 21:59
RS - we may be up to post race scoffing and quaffing, as long as I can get a steak. I got a mad craving for meat last year
25/03/2013 at 22:00

RS - me too if you can wait until I have showered etc

25/03/2013 at 22:15
RS, I'm well up for post race dead animal and cold ale quoffage.

I'm comfortable with my madness. I'm enjoying packing all the lovelies and spare lovelies! Not quite got the concentration to produce a list worthy of the thread.
25/03/2013 at 22:16
I don't have to pack but I've got a list of things I need like, food, kit for the race, post race bag. I've done a average pace/time band at 5k intervals. Got no idea what I'm going to do next week.
25/03/2013 at 22:18
Ahh food list, good call
25/03/2013 at 22:18

I am extremely close to the Arc.  Happy to have bag drop off - but bag retrieve will have to wait until I drag myself over the finish line.  But, there is a bar in the hotel, so the wait may not be all bad....

RS - after a bit of a walk about looking for gluten free stuff last year, we settled on the restaurant across from the hotel and that was fine. People want to eat there again?  At least we know it'll be open. I will be hungry I'm sure.  And they had steak.

I know there are some who are heading home after the race and need to check out their hotel. I'm sure we can accomodate 1 or 2 who might want to leave their bags at our hotel. Could shower too - if you bring a towel along, and wait for me to finish! (the race, not the shower).

25/03/2013 at 22:24

Okay, have a look people: http://goo.gl/maps/qCFgg There's a mcdonalds right by my hotel...but I think I'll need a bit more.  If you find somewhere, check they're open on a sunday.  I'd sort it but super busy.  Got to head off now...I'll check in when I get back, to reality.  hopefully sometime on saturday morning before heading out for a jaunt with RR, TJB and IM2

Last year we ended up at: Le Vin Coeur and it was very average but open and had meat! (not that vegetarians aren't welcome...you will have to watch quite a bit of meat eating though)

25/03/2013 at 22:26

for all those packing already don't forget tape for your tits.

25/03/2013 at 22:33
What type of tape?

I haven't had problems during my long runs however would you suggest vaseline or talc for the feet? I haven't had nipple problems, would tape or vaseline still be recommended?
25/03/2013 at 22:34

Yer-maj - may I respectfully request a departure from the karma-calming normal process? As I need to fly out next week I'm starting to freak about all the stuff I might need and possibly forget and creating list upon list upon list of random shiz. If I need to buy anything I only have this weekend to get it.

Pretty please can we start on the lists? With a cherry on top?

25/03/2013 at 22:37

PC91 - if you havn't needed it on yur long runs, don't try it now.

25/03/2013 at 22:39
Radar Sal wrote (see)

for all those packing already don't forget tape for your tits.

RS - I experimented with Nipguards this weekend instead of my usual Vaseline. They seemed rather useful. If a little weird.

PC91 - I'm deeply envious of your inability to get sensitive/bleeding nipples. I suspect you have much less on moob front than I do...!

25/03/2013 at 22:43

Iain - I used to use nipguards.  Couldn't help but feel like Kryten off red Dwarf though!  Last couple of years I used micropore tape and had no problems with it.

I thought the restaurant last year was ok.  10/10 for the dessert but 3/10 for the quality of the steak.

25/03/2013 at 22:44

I use this stuff on my nipples and other prone-to-chaffing places.  Magical stuff and does not mark clothing. 

http://www.amazon.com/Toms-Sport-Shield-Skin-Care/dp/B001CJX1UY/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_1_9JPK

12,441 to 12,460 of 19,622 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.