Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

141 to 160 of 19,622 messages
Dark Vader    pirate
08/08/2012 at 18:15

Dannirr..  are you doing the London-Brighton car rally again this year..?   if so... what car will you be bringing over, what consumption does that give you and how long will London-Brighton take you..?

Dark Vader    pirate
08/08/2012 at 18:24

Mini Diesel...   the car for discerning hairdressers everywhere... 

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/mini/cooper-hatchback/1-6d-3dr/summary/61091/

08/08/2012 at 18:32

I loved my mini - I had the Welsh flag on the roof too 

Dark Vader    pirate
08/08/2012 at 18:37

The downsides...:   tyres...    the front ones last about 25,000 miles...   they are about £180 each.    Servicing is expensive.   My car is so high mileage that its out of warranty and any servicing packages so I have to pay full price for everything.   It has only ever been touched by the main dealer I bought it from but nothing is cheap on it.  Having said that, it goes from service to service without fault.  

Insurance is also expensive, relatively speaking.   My Porsche is cheaper than the Mini.   They are both with the same insurer and identical policy terms.  The Porsche cost three times the Mini to buy, yet is cheaper to insure!   I never did figure that one out.....

Edited: 08/08/2012 at 18:40
08/08/2012 at 18:42

Do you have the runflat tyres?  I had them and they drove me crazy...

Dark Vader    pirate
08/08/2012 at 18:45
yer_maj wrote (see)

Do you have the runflat tyres?  I had them and they drove me crazy...

Yes..  Dunlop run-flats...   they were standard on the car and I've always replaced with the same.   The ride is very hard but I like it...   I now have them filled with nitrogen, not air, and they seem to last a bit longer and maintain pressure longer...

Dark Vader    pirate
08/08/2012 at 18:46

Apologies to those not interested in cars....     I'll stop now..  

08/08/2012 at 18:50

I would  love a mini, I have always loved them. Don't think my pooch will fit in it thou.

08/08/2012 at 19:32

Mini's are cool cars. Not really for me though, as i don't think the target mini driver market is 6'4" in height. I've got a diesel Seat Leon and I get 60-65mph easy enough on motorways. I remember my shock when I had a hire Crysler 300 in the States a few years ago. I was almost crying as you could see the fuel gauge dropping every other second. A Boeing 747 would be more fuel efficient!

I think my legs are rebelling after my efforts on Sunday. Every run this week has been really tough. It was painful 9 miles tonight.

08/08/2012 at 19:42
Don't apologise DV! Only you would have nitrogen in your tyres

By coincidence I sold my 40 year old Corvette this weekend, to a guy who turned up with his wife on an overnight train from Berlin, paid the full asking price without any discussion, and drove it back! At least I hope they made it, haven't heard anything to the contrary yet!
08/08/2012 at 19:54
Dannirr: British and US definitions of mpg are different because of the different size of a gallon. Although I don't think the difference is huge. 65mpg sounds very good but not unbelievable, especially if DV was driving like a girl (apologies ladies of the thread)
The car I just sold used to get around 6-8 mpg depending on how you drove it
Dark Vader    pirate
08/08/2012 at 20:04

Dannirr...   have a think about this little idea...   it could be a good laugh...

London to Brighton car rally, November 2012.   I'll race you.    You in your vintage car vs me running.   Loser buys the ice-creams!    We'll need to work out how long you think it'll take you and how long I think it'll take me.   You'll need to give me a head start but we'll time it so that we should aim arrive on Brighton sea front at the same time.   I'll wear my Spot Tracker, so you, and the forum, can be assured of no cheating and that I haven't run across London to Victoria station and jumped on the train.

What do you think...?    It'll be great fun... 

My kids would like a ride in your car at some stage...!

ps..   I'll have a flake with my ice-cream!  

08/08/2012 at 20:36

Neil, US gallon is 17% less than an Imperial gallon.

Dannirr wrote (see)
Those consumption numbers are outstanding! I have never heard of such numbers - even the hybrids don't do that.

Hybrid cars aren't designed to be more efficient on long journeys. Diesel will ALWAYS win that fight because of the higher energy density per litre than petroleum. Hybrids will usually win out where there is lots of braking involved as they are able to recycle the kinetic energy. That process does not happen when you've got the cruise control on, so no energy recycling benefit.

One of the Toyota Prius variants has a photo-voltaic roof, but even this doesn't contribute directly towards motion as the energy is used to power secondary electrical systems like aircon. And the later Minis do have a wonderful diesel engine, although the earlier ones had relatively poor engines supplied by Toyota and then Peugeot. Anyone want to guess what industry I used to work in?

08/08/2012 at 20:42

Dannirr - Baker's Cist, bursae, I don't know? But here's a couple of pics.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/345267/gallery/bakers_cist1_0.jpg?width=350

The shaded light blue area shows where the swelling is on the posterior of the knee. It starts from the centre and moves downwards and out to the medial side. It's not very pronounced at the moment. It doesn't hurt to press it but it is very hard.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/345267/gallery/bakers_cist2_0.jpg?width=350

This shows the maximum knee flexion before it starts to hurt. With the other leg I have not problem for the heel to come up to the butt.

08/08/2012 at 20:47

Mrs O and I have Mini Steroid - otherwise known as the Countryman - and we love it. Normal mpg for commuting and everyday driving is 41mpg calculated full tank to full tank,

08/08/2012 at 21:02
TD: I read up on baker's cyst today after your earlier post and it does look like that. The only thing I couldn't find any reference to was the way it vanished after running. I'll be interested to hear what our resident doctors think
08/08/2012 at 21:13

mini MPG and TDs legs.  It's a good night on the forum!  My first car was a 1952 morris minor.  She was yellow and called murtle.  Then I got (dad got me) a morris 1000.  He was green and called toad. mpg...no idea, but toad almost got up to 65 miles per/hr going down hill with the wind behind him.

DV & Dannirr - RACE!!!!!  Dannirr, watch out for sabotage from DV jnrs though, if you let them in the car.  Like pub stops etc.

Edited: 08/08/2012 at 21:14
08/08/2012 at 21:26

TD - yes, that does look like a Baker;s cyst from the position. Funny - would not have thought that related to your previous issues, and like Neil, I didn't think they would spontaneously appear and disappear.  Got yourself a sharp needle?

DV - you might have me talked into a diesel Mini for myself now!  My diesel truck (F350) is horrible on gas consumption but of course, it's pretty huge.  Thse numbers are impressive. As for nitrogen - new cars in the US come with that standard now - which is a pain as filling is an issue  - so I just top up with air.

London to Brighton race?  Now we're talking! I'll be driving my 1902 Delahaye - a lovely French lass with a body to die for. My consumption will likely be about 10 mpg - and it will take me a while to get to Brighton.  I will start around 7.30 am from Hyde Park and expect (Ok, hope) to arrive on the pier around 2.30 pm (cutoff time is 4.30 pm).  I think your idea of a race is fabulous - you're on!  I don't think you'll need much, or any, start given my speed. Your kids are welcome to a ride - we'll be on Regent Street all day Saturday Nov 3rd.  In fact, any and all from this wonderful thread are welcome to "party" at my car on Saturday.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/698298/gallery/delahaye_1902_web2.jpg?width=350

08/08/2012 at 22:08

I smell a thread reunion coming on....

08/08/2012 at 22:22

Its my 33rd birday on the 2nd

141 to 160 of 19,622 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.