Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

16,621 to 16,640 of 19,627 messages
ATM
02/05/2013 at 17:13

They blinked ?Ah, the power of suggestion..

ATM
02/05/2013 at 17:16

Dark Vader wrote (see)

There are a few of you following a gluten free diet...  for the benefit of those of us who aren't familiar, can you explain why you do this and how it impacts on your food choices during the day...  also, any complications when eating out... 

Hi DV. Sound slike many of you are experiencing some of the symptoms of gluten intolerance or Coeliac's Disease. To live with a diet that totally excludes gluten is tremendously difficult to do. If you sffer badly with gluten ingestion, it can be highly painful and effect you badly for the best part of a week.

Gluten is two proteins which are found in wheat. Because Barley is frequently milled in places which also process wheat, it is cross-contaminated unless specifically labelled as gluten free (only in health food shops normaly).

Wheat flour is used almost indiscriminately. Pies, cakes, sauces, cookies, beer, whisky, pasta, pastry, breadcrumbs, bread, toppings, fillings, thickeners, binders. This is not such an issue when buying products from a shelf. Food labelling in the UK and US is really good for spotting gluten. But if you go to a restaurant, it can be highly stressful to find something which you think you can eat.

Then you explain your problem to the waiter and they aren't sure what the ingredients are completely, so they ask the chef. But the chef maybe doesn't think about how wheat can be an ingredient in a packet that THEY open, so they don't say it is present in the dish.  Or they say, cook the pasta you provide (GF of course). They might even think to cook it in a clean saucepan. But there's a high likelihood that they will stir it with the same spoon, or drain it in a collander that has had regular pasta in it.

Just those simple steps mean the food you get is contaminated. 5 days of stomach cramps, diaorrhea, farting, tiredness, sore skin... the symptoms can be very diverse.

Most processed meat products use bread as a binder. No more Mcdonalds (not a problem for me, but maybe for you DV). Haagen Daz cookie & caramel ice-cream. Uhuh. No can do. Salt & vinegar crisps. No, the flavours are bound to the surface of the crisps using wheat flour. Go out for a drink with the lads. Comfortable to have a glass of chilled white wine instead of a beer? Basically, it's a royal pain in the ass.

But WAY better than having Luekemia or something like that. Let's have some perspective! On the positive side, since there's so much crappy processed food you just can't touch, you start having a narrower range of foods you can eat, but they tend to be healthier. Carbs can be had from potatoes, rice, quinoa. Lots of fruit and veggies. You learn the labelling pretty quick and gluten free pasta, beers and breads are getting better and better, although here in Belgium, we don't get anything like the "FreeFrom" variety that exists in UK supermarkets.

But losing all that discomfort is truly wonderful. I thought I was dying from some miserable wasting disease before I wporked out what my problem was. After a week of careful diet change, miracle cure! Hope that info helps.

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 17:17
02/05/2013 at 17:22

Yes feeling like your dying, and until hey found out what was wrong I looked like I was too!!! 

It certainly enforces healthy eating!!!

Dark Vader    pirate
02/05/2013 at 18:14

Anyone here listen to BBC Radio 6Music..?    On Monday on the Steve Lamacq show I will be on the 'Good Day, Bad Day' feature about 4:40pm...   listen in to hear me chatting about music.....       If you miss it, it'll be on iPlayer so maybe someone can clip it and do a link...

Dark Vader    pirate
02/05/2013 at 18:17

TD..  that was an excellent lecture..  thanks.    I do think there may be some link there.  I today bought some 'free from' products and will start to eat them and do my best to avoid gluten in other ways and will let you know what happens....

02/05/2013 at 19:07

DV - I'd love to her that but will be on Skye so out of digital contact - I'll find it when I'm back. Mr Lamacq is a legend. 6music is fab.

Attention Scottish people! 

Advice please - I am going up to Skye on Sunday for a week. I have today, for the first time this year, been attacked by bugs in Newcastle's Town Moor and wondered - am I going to get eaten alive up there, on the off-chance there is some good weather? Do I need mosquito repellent etc? I am prepared for the wet - always - but not sure what it's like in Scotland when the weather's good. I'm not sure I've ever been in that eventuality...

Thank you as ever.

Running high has been achieved tonight after work. How lovely. Nice to see the sun too.

02/05/2013 at 20:06

It's early for midges, but I wouldn't rule them out. As a person who is apparently a walking midge buffet I have much experience of this. And don't assume they'll only appear if the weather's good - you can definitely get a delightful combination of rain and midges.

There are various approaches - the midge helmet http://www.langdale-associates.com/finland_2012/part_4/pic_26.htm chemical warfare (anything containing DEET, or if you'd rather smell nice Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil). Or you can take up smoking. 

Can you tell I've been scarred (literally) by Highland camping holidays? I'm sure you'll have a lovely time IM2 . (Seriously, it's a fabulous place).

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 20:07
02/05/2013 at 20:15

RR - your first two sentences completely cracked me up. That's all I have to contribute.  Except...iain doorstep you can always do (like me and London). Paris she'll get to meet all of us...

02/05/2013 at 20:55

anyone thinking about Paris Accommodation next year? I'm thinking at least 2 nights with my 3 girls in tow- anyone else thinking of getting an apartment? got a couple of spare rooms, they want someone to chip in on? Just throwing it out there early doors

02/05/2013 at 21:23

Iain - I have had a quick look at the weather and you might be lucky. It's probably a bit too cool for the little blightlers. A stiff breeze might also help. As RR says, Avon Skin so Soft really works. And you will smell lovely. It's a magical place - enjoy.

02/05/2013 at 21:53

Thanks Simon - I'll see if I can find some of that avon stuff before setting off.

I can't wait. I will be out of wifi/3G coverage for a whle 7 days though! Not sure how I'll survive...

02/05/2013 at 21:55

3G whats that??????????

02/05/2013 at 22:10

Iain - have a good time on Skye. Probably an urban myth, but apparently the SAS swear by Skin so Soft to keep the midges away. Bummed about Paris for you.

Dear Paris and Brighton...

02/05/2013 at 22:16

Weedy - thanks dude. Good luck for Saturday.

02/05/2013 at 22:21

Iain you know you want to come to Paris....

And the Skin so Soft stuff works - I used to get bitten to death.  You too can smell like a laydee....

02/05/2013 at 22:28

Cheers Iain

02/05/2013 at 22:30
Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Suze - Is that pic Eric Liddell? I'm in. 

RS - it's my sis. She won't go for Paris - already tried. Brighton starts and finishes on her doorstep, it's her 'bucket-list' run etc.

So. Berlin will have to be Paris substitute this/next year...

Yes, I believe it is - I googled 'sub four or die' and that's what came up!

I think I'm going for Brighton next year too.

02/05/2013 at 22:48

Iain - There's not been many midges out yet, but be prepared. Skye is notorious for the little blighters.

02/05/2013 at 22:57

They're having a wee snooze just now.  They heard Tasty iain was on his way so they're building up an appetite 

03/05/2013 at 01:41

They heard of his recent Nutella intake....

16,621 to 16,640 of 19,627 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.