Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

17,321 to 17,340 of 19,627 messages
17/05/2013 at 10:03

DV - front liners have to be 18 now after incidents of under 18s being killed/wounded on recent ops.  Many of the infantry on front line ops in Afghan are young lads.

17/05/2013 at 10:05

Hello all,

I don't want to divert the chat but i'm looking for some brainstorm advice. I'm trying to work out my fundraising strategy for ITLR (in the long run) and after talking to a few friends about 'normal' methods: please sponsor me. It's not going to be too successful. Especially as my networking abilities and ability to ask/do things locally is quite difficult. What do you think of the following ideas:

- Cookies/Cake sale at work (finally get my colleagues to pay for the goodies)

- Raffle for total of number of miles run over the 8 days (not too sure how easy it is to pull off for prizes)

- Raffle for the number of hours/minutes that I'm running over the 8 days (not too sure how easy it is to pull off for prizes)

- Run a marathon before/after in fancy dress 

- I've asked my company to sponsor me but it's not looking too positive (they initially said No and I wasnt allowed to promote the charity event at customers).

Dark Vader    pirate
17/05/2013 at 10:52

Emmy..  a cake sale is a novel idea...   you could also use of the 'text your donation' services..   I used one of these for my A2A fund-raising and it worked quite successfully actually...   also, have a 'just giving' page...  that is probably the easiest way thesedays.   Contacting your local radio station and newspaper to do a feature on you would also raise your profile.

Mrs DV made good progress yesterday.  They took an over-night ferry and this morning they are in Holland...   her current position is..:

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/98627/gallery/screen_shot_2013-05-17_at_10.41.28.png?width=350

17/05/2013 at 10:55

DV - Great minds think alike. I've already asked about text services. The issue with my 'local' radio station is that most of them won't care that a foreigner is doing it (harsh but true).

It's a good idea to maybe contact my local paper back home -i'm sure that I could get something from local friends who aren't on Facebook.

She's using your spotify? What a great idea!

Have you heard about Mimi's next attempt? double GUCR. Absolutely incredible!

Dark Vader    pirate
17/05/2013 at 11:15

yeh..  she has the tracker and its working perfectly.   

Mimi is exceptional...  and also very lucky that she doesn't have a job, so she can devote time to doing these things...  and also lucky that she has some sponsorship to assist with logistics..   I think whatever she does now it'll have to double-whatever as a single-whatever just won't be enough to satisfy her competitive edge.

I think people often overlook the benefit of having logistical support and simply focus on the obvious of the person who is doing whatever they are doing.   I'm sure all of us could do much more and much better if we didn't have real life get in the way.

Have you heard about Dean Karnazes next massive challenge..?   I can't remember the specifics but it's something like a year or more of running in most parts of the world.   Its sponsored by The North Face and must surely be costing $millions in terms of air fares, hotels, crew and support.   Great for him for being physically able to do this, but lets not forget the massive team/machine behind him to make it happen in the first place.

Its the same when you go to a concert to see your favorite band.   Everyone cheers and has a good time at the musicians on stage but doesn't give a single thought to how the show got to the theatre for that one night so you could see it.  The crews and people behind the scenes are what really makes these things happen.

Dark Vader    pirate
17/05/2013 at 11:40

TD..   is there a general sponsorship page..?   If so..   publicise here and on FB and we can forward it... also, on twitter and you can ask for re-tweets from people... 

It's a remarkable undertaking...  well done to you and your organising team  

17/05/2013 at 11:43

DV - that's right, and is why I tell parents of my patients that it's not me (or my partners) they should be bringing the cookies for - its the nurses.  They are really the people who make the difference.    And I'm sure that's true in many, many walks of life.

17/05/2013 at 11:45

And in sad news....

http://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Athletics/OMTOM-winner-tests-positive-20130516

wi
17/05/2013 at 11:48

Very true, watching "this is it" by Michael Jackson made me realise how much work,effort, money, time and how many people goes to organise a good show

17/05/2013 at 11:54

DV - You're completely right about that. She's got quite a team behind her. I think the team from the North Face are really trying to make a USP because all of their runners are doing crazy things recently (like the guy that ran across New Zealand).

It's great that you can keep a track of her.

You're completely right about having a crew behind you. It's one thing that i'm seeing by helping with ITLR. Tricky is doing so much and the team are utterly fantastic.

Dark Vader    pirate
17/05/2013 at 12:23

A truly epic self-funded adventure going on right now is by Tom Denniss.   He is literally running around the world....   as of yesterday he completed his run across Europe and now covered 21,000 km which is approximately 80% of his journey.   He has his wife and a daughter with him and he is, as far as I know, funding it himself.   You'll see from his biog that he is a succesful businessman..

http://www.tomsnextstep.com/who’s-this-‘tom’-guy/

17/05/2013 at 12:29

Weedy - It was in Kenya !  The strimmer is also refered to as the Weedy, (I was not implying to kill weeds).

Eggy - how did you catch a GFA ?  I find the Taser works best

17/05/2013 at 13:44

Maybe you could start by offering me a beer PC91. No promises though...

PC91 wrote (see)

Eggy - how did you catch a GFA ?  I find the Taser works best

DV - when we've got ourselves just that little bit more together in the coming week or two, I'll make a pain of myself by plugging the ITLR activity. We'll certainly be very grateful for all the retweets, blogging and Facebook Sharing that can be done by other people thereafter. Thanks for the prompt!

17/05/2013 at 13:48
Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Maybe you could start by offering me a beer PC91. No promises though...

Not on the first date eh?

17/05/2013 at 14:08

PC91 - remind me to wear my wellies next time we meet.

This made me laugh http://borntoplod.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/lost-in-translation-a-beginners-guide-in-how-to-speak-runner/

17/05/2013 at 15:43

Orbutt - I'm in the Interval study, giving blood every 8 weeks. I'm finding it retakes slows my running down (yes, even more than normal). Does it affect you much?

17/05/2013 at 16:16

RR - good idea, you cant out run me in wellies.

Dark Vader    pirate
17/05/2013 at 18:02

Catalogue of issues today on Mrs DV's bike ride...  heavy rain, umpteen punctures, two separate crashes leading to one bike being damaged and requiring the support vehicle to deliver a spare bike, cuts, grazes, and generally a miserable day on the road..   they only managed 65 miles..   too far behind schedule to complete today's ride so the bikes and riders will be transported to the hotel.  They are just north of Antwerp..

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/98627/gallery/update.png?width=350

Dark Vader    pirate
17/05/2013 at 18:17

Mind you..  some very funny messages on the blog..   sense of humour seems still in tact...!

17/05/2013 at 19:08

Crickey DV - that sounds heavy going! I worry for them if they're having issues in the land of bikes And cycle lanes!

17,321 to 17,340 of 19,627 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.