Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

17,441 to 17,460 of 19,627 messages
20/05/2013 at 10:01

Toronto's Danni. Apologies.

20/05/2013 at 10:02

Weedy - love the 25 May event I'm doing  ;-)

20/05/2013 at 11:12

Weedy - you've missed one out for me...

1st June: Kent Roadrunner Marathon.

Maybe we shouldn't include me in the list?

20/05/2013 at 12:02

RR - I'm the same.  If I dont have a plan, I don't go run. 

20/05/2013 at 13:10

DLR - it's on the PC, on the fridge door and on the fruit-based device, for reference on the move. I like spreadsheets .

20/05/2013 at 13:15

I'm the same as Danirr and RR. I like to print it out and have it online to keep a track of.

20/05/2013 at 14:05

Hello!

Lots of news, well done to TJB and Orbutt for smashing their PBs! I think YerMaj got a parkrun PB as well, didn't she? Hoorah!

RR, lovely run report and it sounds like an amazing experience, although I am a bit scared of the carnivorous birds! Carrion? Or live flesh?   I did run yesterday, North Norfolk half marathon. I am a lesson in not running with a cold. I thought it wasn't that bad as it's all in the head area (no aches or pains, basically) but about half way round the hot course (it must've reached 20+ degrees yesterday) I felt very odd. A bit swimmy and my head had pins and needles. Not good. I walked for a bit and my lovely running buddy walked with me to make sure I was okay. I felt better once we hit some shade and managed to run/shuffle from about 9.5miles, stopping to drink some water. Disappointed with my time of 2:07:01 (1 second!!) as I haven't walked in a half marathon since Royal Parks 18 months ago and it's my worst time since then as well. On the other hand, it's a really lovely route and I'm glad I did it, as I'm looking forward to doing it next year when I don't have a cold! It's probably 80% off road, through Holkham Hall's grounds, which are stunning. The spectators had a great day for it - bright and clear, and the warmest day we've had in a good couple of weeks.    The bling's pretty good too. £25 for the half marathon (£35 for the full) and you get a medal, tshirt, drawstring kit bag, bottle of water, energy powder and recovery tablet. Chip timing as well.    That was my last booked race so immediately got on the internet and started looking... Wissey half marathon on September 1st looks like a goer.   
20/05/2013 at 14:10

I tend to be less focused with my running if I have no training plan or no event I'm training for, but I still get out and run.

I'm actually enjoying the lack of training plan to follow just now. The last few years have been complete one plan, a couple of weeks break and then jump straight into the next training plan. I'm enjoying deciding what I'd like to do run/bike etc for once, rather than thinking I need to run x tonight.

KS - Well done on completing the half. I know how badly things can go if you are unwell and attempt to run. I made that mistake at a half a few years ago and ended up walking the final few miles feeling like hell for my slowest ever half.

Edited: 20/05/2013 at 14:13
20/05/2013 at 14:31

I always create a running plan but I tend to tinker with it as I go along. I'd lose track of what LSR I'd be scheduled to do if I didn't have one.

KS - sounds like you did well getting around feeling so sh*t. Don't be disppointed with your time, be pleased with it. Plus, next year you'll blow it out of the water

Just got my chip times from yesterday my time was 1 second less - 52:49, meaning a 2 minute PB. Plus, my time at 5k was also a PB by 19 seconds 25:47 Very happy Orbutt

20/05/2013 at 14:40

With that 5k time I reckon you've got a bit more to squeeze out of your 10k yet

Which means I have too - 5k time 25:46 and most recent 10k 23:25.  Oh dear....

20/05/2013 at 14:50

KS - well done on a hot course. I had friends running the full and they said it was a lot hotter than they expected.

orbutt - you're steaming along!

20/05/2013 at 15:00
yer_maj wrote (see)

Which means I have too - 5k time 25:46 and most recent 10k 23:25.  Oh dear....

Now that's impressive!

20/05/2013 at 15:05

Heh I'm leaving that as it is - my unintentional gazelle moment....

20/05/2013 at 18:55

Well spotted Eggy, I missed it at first reading.

YM  - I often plug my times into the McMillan calculator to see what they reckon I should be able to do. Then I panic and wind it back a bit.

This gives me something to aim for.

20/05/2013 at 19:11

Running friend cancelled our run tonight due to having a new bull.......so my and Naomi just did 3.5 miles including some 5 lots of 200m sprints for her benefit. 

20/05/2013 at 19:14

Cancelled your run due to having a new bull?  Now there's a phrase you don't hear too often.

I assume she means an animal rather than a new bf? 

20/05/2013 at 19:15

YM  - I often plug my times into the McMillan calculator to see what they reckon I should be able to do. Then I panic and wind it back a bit.

This gives me something to aim for.

Hmmm McMillan is almost spot on for me at current pace.  Target time for the Cardiff Half looks a bit scary at the sharp end though

Dark Vader    pirate
20/05/2013 at 21:19
Dannirr wrote (see)

DV - Umm, I'm sending a smallish box of stuff to you that was not included in the big shipment that leaves tomorrow.  Hope that's ok.

ooo..  how exciting...    rocking and rollering..  

20/05/2013 at 21:44

Big shipment did not leave. Delayed another week.  Expected arrival now the 8th. Hope customs are in a good mood and release it quickly.  

Dark Vader    pirate
20/05/2013 at 22:13

Holy moly...  cutting it close....  

Here's an interesting thought...   today, I did the building survey of this house.   The right hand side dates back to 1344.  The left hand side is late 1500's to about 1620.   Behind the tile-hanging, it is basically timber-framed and is in remarkably good condition for its age.

Now..  think about this...   that house was there before Europeans settled in the US, Issac Newton was just growing up and hadn't yet invented modern physics, the Tower of London was still chopping off heads, there was no electricity, cars, planes or running water...    the world has changed a great deal over the centuries, but that house has survived and is still there...

If my client buys it, I'm going to encourage him to get a dendro-chronology test done on the oldest timbers.  This is a test that can accurately date the timber, the tree species and even to where the tree was felled.  It is a fascinating science.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/98627/gallery/img_1202.jpg?width=350

17,441 to 17,460 of 19,627 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.