Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

19,041 to 19,060 of 19,627 messages
10/07/2013 at 19:03

Happy Birthday RR. Go easy on the gin - I believe there is a shortage and it would be best all round if you left some for Yer_Maj.

Still in rest mode, and enjoying it (too much?)

10/07/2013 at 19:14
Simon MacPerky wrote (see)

Happy Birthday RR. Go easy on the gin - I believe there is a shortage and it would be best all round if you left some for Yer_Maj.

Still in rest mode, and enjoying it (too much?)

Gerroff my gin

10/07/2013 at 19:25

My bad for not pointing out just how naughty the French are and casually assuming it was the 'Straaaalians wot dunnit. What WAS I thinking?!

And another one

That's better. So apart from Dannir and his hill repeats, has anyone else been running around here?

10/07/2013 at 19:33

Running? Not in its purest sense but putting one foot in front of the other whilst breathing heavily and sweating profusely for a couple of hours - yes.

Heat is making proper running difficult but I'm back on my 'plan' for Berlin. 

10/07/2013 at 20:58

I've been playing drill sergeant!

10/07/2013 at 22:19
Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

That's better. So apart from Dannir and his hill repeats, has anyone else been running around here?

Yes I have been sodding well running.  Your Demon Plan told me to and I *always* do as I'm told....

10/07/2013 at 23:06

I ran! I ran! And accosted some guy to take my photo. Best run in ages. Love it.

It would *never* be the Aussies, never!

I had a devastating discussion at the gym this morning. My real life running/gym buddies declared that running was boring and they didn't want to do it anymore  They want something new. Wtf?!?!?

10/07/2013 at 23:33

...they're not doing it right, clearly.

...and anyway, we're your real life running buddies

Aaron - saw a game in Calgary a couple of years ago and loved it. I looked like a bit of a dork sat with my Wikipedia print-out of the rules mind you.

Kaz - like the Full Metal Jacket drill sergeant?

I haven't been to the gin for ages

10/07/2013 at 23:33

L-aaron - yup, Hotlanta.  But I dont think its much worse than Kentucky 

11/07/2013 at 05:59

Clearly they are derranged JusT!

All has clear today..........I have woken up  with such a sore throat its bringing tears to my eyes..........kidz are in for a peaceful day!

11/07/2013 at 07:25

Question for those who've used Hal Higdon. A friend of mine is about to start training for her first half marathon and has been sent a copy of Hal's plan. I think she just has the plan, rather than the book. On non running days apparently it recommends strength training, but she's not sure what to do. Does the book itself give any strength training exercises, and if not, does anyone have any favourite sites they would recommend for a (more or less) beginner?

11/07/2013 at 09:46

I can answer the first bit - no the book doesn't have any exercises.

Whatever your friend does, make sure she does her strength training in a matching outfit....otherwise it'll all go to hell in a handcart.

ATM
11/07/2013 at 11:02

RR, somewhere on the site, Hal does explain the type of exercises he recommends...they involves lunges-with-cans-of-soup...from memory.

+1 for the matching-outfit caveat...* although why a girlie is doing any of this is surely the question....*

and http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1058 is the 20-minutes- at- home-3-times-a-week session that someone recommended to me. Alas, if only I'd done it...

July seems a good time to make a New Year's Resolution

ATM
11/07/2013 at 16:54

I think it was DV who spoke about Kilian Jornet.  This morning he (Kilian, not DV but it could have been) completed the ascent of Mont Blanc in under 5h. The report doesn't say the distance travelled but Chamonix to the summit is nearly 4000m in elevation.

11/07/2013 at 18:15

did you get the cash back dv? 

Sr junior#1 did a similar thing with in app purchases on a fruit based tablet device and I was able to get the money back on the basis of it not being his card - as a one off exception.

he is only 7 and didn't understand it was real money...

training for Yorkshire is going really well at moment get out early most days to avoid the heat.

bday wishes for yesterday rr

11/07/2013 at 20:59

Thanks folks - yes, I've warned her about Hal and his 'views'.

Any other ITLR types getting a bit tapir crazy at the moment? I've convinced myself my calves are going to explode, and I've got Lassa fever (again).

However, I have a plan B. I'm going to see if I can fit DV into my suitcase, in case I need some help in making the mileage .

11/07/2013 at 22:29
Dannirr wrote (see)

L-aaron - yup, Hotlanta.  But I dont think its much worse than Kentucky 

Danni - I've had a Crunchie or two today to celebrate your recent Alpine endeavours.

Best not send them over... they'd only melt in all that heat you have over there!

11/07/2013 at 22:29

I don't think I've run enough in the past there weeks to tapir  I'm in for a seriously tough week ahead. I'm really fed up of work always always taking over and everything having to stop to fit it in. Sigh. Sorry moan over. Much as I'm going to find ITLR seriously tough I really am looking forward to it.

11/07/2013 at 22:30

Oops and happy birthday RR!

11/07/2013 at 22:43

helterskelter wrote (see)

I don't think I've run enough in the past there weeks to tapir  I'm in for a seriously tough week ahead. I'm really fed up of work always always taking over and everything having to stop to fit it in. Sigh. Sorry moan over. Much as I'm going to find ITLR seriously tough I really am looking forward to it.

Right there with ya, HS. Rather worried about it but it'll be class.

Edited: 11/07/2013 at 22:44
19,041 to 19,060 of 19,627 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.