Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

19,061 to 19,080 of 19,623 messages
12/07/2013 at 10:48

TD - frankly, I'm terrifed, but excited too... Your hard work will be so much appreciated byt the reat of us. See you Sunday.

Danni - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

ATM
12/07/2013 at 11:04

You know you love it, TD...

Will you be able to post en route? And  can you send us the GPS link thingy so we can stalk...I mean, follow, you?

ATM
12/07/2013 at 11:39
helterskelter wrote (see)

It's gone to be immense!

You guys need to go sensibly next week - 10 miles a day for 8 days on the spin is a lot of mileage and your bodies will feel it not having a day's rest - even the super speedo likes of Tricky Dicky Yoda and all his sports drinks.

You guys are going to have wonderful time and it's an amazing thing you are doing.

May the force be with you

12/07/2013 at 12:00

Today, oi shall mostly be packing (AKA making a pile of stuff next to my bag, then cramming as much of it in as I can)

DV - 47 miles  If that doesn't get you your mojo back, I don't know what will. Let us know how it goes

12/07/2013 at 12:01

RR - a belated happy birthday. 

ITLR - Good luck everyone. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. Sad that I won't be there with you. 

I'm on the ferry back to Oban after a few days on the bike over on Coll and Tiree. Now with added sunburn! 

12/07/2013 at 14:11

TD - This must be the Rubik's cube of running. How can we follow you ?

Good luck to all the ITLR. 

12/07/2013 at 15:32

I need some advice from y'all.

Heat and humidity is killing my runs - too difficult to maintain pace.

So, while I can continue at almost the right pace for my long runs, easy runs and recovery runs, the speedwork is suffering and I am not getting the benefit of the workout I should be getting.

What I am considering is doing my "pace unimportant" runs int he mornings as I have been, but have 2 other options for the "pace important" runs:

1.) the evenings are less humid (about 65% instead of 95%), but also 15-20 degrees hotter (85-95 degrees versus 70-75 in the mornings)

or

2.) treadmill indoors

Advice please

12/07/2013 at 16:12

I've sponsored ITLR via the Virgin Giving page, rather than the JustGiving.

JustGiving take a cut of the Gift Aid, whereas Virgin Giving don't. 

If you haven't yet sponsored them - and you intend to - then use the Virgin page.

However, the most important thing is, sponsor your buddies

12/07/2013 at 16:17

Hi Dannir

Pace important runs are tougher in the heat, so can't you switch the quicker runs like the tempo run to the morning?

Personally, for my first 3 years of half-marathoning my only training was on the treadmill. Now i can't believe i spent so much time on those awful things. I understand the need for them but i would always pick an evening run in warmer conditions and just make sure you have access to plenty of fluids along the way. Of course if it were boiling and so hot you could barely be outside - (like a couple of years ago in Perth on Christmas day when it 46 degrees of dry heat and about 15 of us huddled around an aircon unit in our underpants!) then i guess i would suck it up and do the treadmill work. Better to run than not to run. Or go at KOC .....

12/07/2013 at 17:09

I must sponsor over the weekend!

I am really jealous of all involved in ITLR. So wish I could be involved in such a great cause.

Not much happening here. I have taken yesterday and today as rest days(apart from work) to see if I can shake off this awful virus which is just about putting me to bed. I also don't  know how the hell I am going to motivate anyone at circuit training tonight....

Take care this weekend everyone, make sure you stay well hydrated.

Good luck to Simon, and anyone else racing  this weekend!

Dark Vader    pirate
12/07/2013 at 18:08

Dannirr...    when is your next event..?   The preference must surely be to get outdoors when you can, but bursts of speed sessions on your new dreadmill in air-conditioned comfort won't hurt you....

12/07/2013 at 18:13
ATM wrote (see)

You know you love it, TD...

Will you be able to post en route? And  can you send us the GPS link thingy so we can stalk...I mean, follow, you?

We can only throw the live tracking link up each day as we commence running as it is generated by the Garmin Connect site. But on the ITLR main webpage each day, we'll post the live tracking link plus the runner's roster and probably a profile of the day's running.

And there'll be loads of blogs and commentary being generated as we go along

I got in a cheeky 10K this lunchtime, so my running prep is done for ITLR. By my standards, it has been dreadful. Organising a big event like this, trying to train, coming to the end of a 22 year marriage but trying to maintain good relationships with wife and daughters, finding somewhere new to live, keep on doing my day job... well, I'm looking forward to the end of July really.

A time to sit back, take stock, recharge body and mind, develop healthy relationships and restore some trust. I think I will get quite some running done as I try to work out how to do this.

Thanks for being a great bunch of people here. Maybe you don't know just how much i appreciate you.

12/07/2013 at 18:46

when you put all down in one paragraph there Rico, it must be one fkker of a tough time at the moment. Suprised you havent picked up a tranquiliser from Doc Moore! But seriously, you need some chill time, some nice long running and relaxing/bantering with good friends in the evenings over the next week or so should be just the ticket. You'll be recharged and ready for the exciting times ahead!

Long distance running is therapy for us types!

12/07/2013 at 19:11

Dannirr - I'd say outdoors, but then I hate treadmills. If I had to run on treadmills I'd never stick to running. 

Simon - See you at Loch Lomond tomorrow if you're still doing the triathlon.

12/07/2013 at 19:46

Danni - I'd say if you can cope with the treadmill, go for that. Could programme in the ITLR route and run a few miles along that for the next week or so. Be good to have you running alongside us.

Kaz - hope you're back to normal quickly.

TD - that's a lot to cope with. It'll be a well-earned back seat.

And thanks to everyone here who's sponsored us ITLRers - it's much appreciated.

12/07/2013 at 20:23

What Weedy said - a huge thank you to everyone who's sponsored us. We'll be doing our very best. TD and his team are doing a huge job to get the show on the road (literally), now it's our turn to put in the miles.

Just finished packing. I've been labelling my camping crockery with my name - I haven't done that since Brownie camp .

12/07/2013 at 21:16

TD - Hugs mate.

On the glass half full side,

• you're in a new and exciting relationship with a bit of a babe
  • you are the driving force behind a stellar fundraising event
  • you have inspired an incredible bunch of people to join you in this event
  • you are held in the highest of esteem by your cyber pals
  • you can run

I went for a run tonight and it was a bit warm and I was a bit slower than normal. I don't normally see that many other runners when I'm out and they are generally running towards me, so I wave and carry on.

Tonight I was overtaken by two runners who went past me like I wasn't there. I can handle that.

Then I heard heavy footsteps gaining on me and I was overtaken again. By a bloke in jeans and a jumper in deck shoes. To crown it all he was carrying a rucksack. And he disappeared into the distance.

He was probably half my age and late for work and trying to show off and on drugs or something and.........bah.

12/07/2013 at 23:53

Next event is October!   I like Weedy'd suggestion - run some of the route with the team in a virtual sense.  I made my donation several weeks ago and now I can sorta get to particiapte 

Dark Vader    pirate
13/07/2013 at 07:45

One in, one out.  46.7 miles run overnight. 9:43. It got surprisingly chilly in the tree covered paths but was otherwise a nice steady plod. I shall call this route the 'Down' route as it goes north to south.  Mrs DV is just having breakfast and then will go and do a 50 mile bike ride.  This afternoon we will explore the local forest with the dog and children.  I thought of you ITLR runners. You have an epic journey ahead for a good cause. Will look forward to the updates.

Dark Vader    pirate
13/07/2013 at 07:47

Danni, October is ages away. Too long for speed sessions now to be worth worrying about. Programme your new treadmill with part of the ITLR route and do some speed work on that. Keep it fun

19,061 to 19,080 of 19,623 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.