Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

19,081 to 19,100 of 19,627 messages
12/07/2013 at 20:23

What Weedy said - a huge thank you to everyone who's sponsored us. We'll be doing our very best. TD and his team are doing a huge job to get the show on the road (literally), now it's our turn to put in the miles.

Just finished packing. I've been labelling my camping crockery with my name - I haven't done that since Brownie camp .

12/07/2013 at 21:16

TD - Hugs mate.

On the glass half full side,

• you're in a new and exciting relationship with a bit of a babe
  • you are the driving force behind a stellar fundraising event
  • you have inspired an incredible bunch of people to join you in this event
  • you are held in the highest of esteem by your cyber pals
  • you can run

I went for a run tonight and it was a bit warm and I was a bit slower than normal. I don't normally see that many other runners when I'm out and they are generally running towards me, so I wave and carry on.

Tonight I was overtaken by two runners who went past me like I wasn't there. I can handle that.

Then I heard heavy footsteps gaining on me and I was overtaken again. By a bloke in jeans and a jumper in deck shoes. To crown it all he was carrying a rucksack. And he disappeared into the distance.

He was probably half my age and late for work and trying to show off and on drugs or something and.........bah.

12/07/2013 at 23:53

Next event is October!   I like Weedy'd suggestion - run some of the route with the team in a virtual sense.  I made my donation several weeks ago and now I can sorta get to particiapte 

Dark Vader    pirate
13/07/2013 at 07:45

One in, one out.  46.7 miles run overnight. 9:43. It got surprisingly chilly in the tree covered paths but was otherwise a nice steady plod. I shall call this route the 'Down' route as it goes north to south.  Mrs DV is just having breakfast and then will go and do a 50 mile bike ride.  This afternoon we will explore the local forest with the dog and children.  I thought of you ITLR runners. You have an epic journey ahead for a good cause. Will look forward to the updates.

Dark Vader    pirate
13/07/2013 at 07:47

Danni, October is ages away. Too long for speed sessions now to be worth worrying about. Programme your new treadmill with part of the ITLR route and do some speed work on that. Keep it fun

Dark Vader    pirate
13/07/2013 at 08:11

Orbutt, no worries matey...   he might have been a burglar making a dash for freedom..  he won't have run as far as you..

13/07/2013 at 08:48

Dannir - if you are quick and tell me where to send them, I can give you all the GPX tracks for the ITLR route to load into your treadie. I'll be around computers most of today.

Orbutt - thanks mate. Thanks. Just one correction: she's a lot of a babe and she makes me deliriously happy

First lots of ITLR runners and helpers are now on their way! Meanwhile I am quietly panicking about the navigation, learning to use new fruit-based computers and did i mention navigation. Gulp. All I need is about another week and I'll be fine.

13/07/2013 at 12:34

TD will there be plenty video footage? Make a little doccy of your journay?

13/07/2013 at 12:40

TD - I have messaged you - thanks!!!

13/07/2013 at 12:43

Greetings from sunny Vienna. Sitting in the airport with Dr Moore abusing their free wifi while we wait for RR to land

13/07/2013 at 13:03

Yes yes, rub it in why don't you?

I'm at home, in my stiflingly hot office, after a really unpleasant 18k run this morning.  I've finally waved the white flag and got hardcore, knock out an entire stable of horses prescription drugs for my hayfever because I was sick of not being able to open my eyes/see anything/sleep/have a sense of humour/work/breathe...that sort of thing.  I'm extremely drug sensitive so I'm feeling pretty shite right now, while my poor abused system gets used to them.  But I can open my eyes, breathe and not want to open up my throat and scratch it raw...as soon as my sense of humour returns and I stop feeling sick and spinny then it'll be happy days

In the meantime I am going to sit on my (no longer so) lardy arse and watch the lycra clad boys steam effortlessly* up big hills

*that bit may not be true

13/07/2013 at 13:28

It's not all fun and games. The plane was filled with what can best be described as very elderly people off to soak up the Viennese culture. We were the youngest on the plane by about 30 years. There was quite a queue for the toilet I can tell you...

13/07/2013 at 14:58
The Jimbob wrote (see)

TD will there be plenty video footage? Make a little doccy of your journay?

That's the plan Jimbob. Dannirr - how many of the 1250kms do you think you'll be able to do by Monday week?

13/07/2013 at 17:34

On the train with Iain and RR earlier

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/727962/gallery/train_-_copy.jpg?width=350

Emmy, HS, RR, Iain and I are now ensconsed in the hotel. We'll be off partying later at the bus stop up the road that has a built-in speaker pumping out Euro techno dance tunes. And that was when we passed it at 4.30pm - imagine what it'll be like come 11pm

13/07/2013 at 17:36

Remember to pace yourselves...Not only when you're running.

13/07/2013 at 17:40

Arrived in Bratislava. Pleased to say the terrain looks quite flat between here and Vienna. 

YM - drugs are definitely the way forward.

13/07/2013 at 18:39

Ooh RR and Iain, you make quite a handsome couple!

You guys pace yourselves, although most of the sloshpots aren't involved, but watch out for that Douglas Maus......

13/07/2013 at 18:53
Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

That's the plan Jimbob. Dannirr - how many of the 1250kms do you think you'll be able to do by Monday week?

Ahhm, not that many,but some!

I love that picture of Iain and RR.  Is another thread-match in the making?  I hope so

13/07/2013 at 21:38

"Sloshpots" Jimbob?  Whatever do you mean by that terribly vulgar expression??

13/07/2013 at 22:11

Thank you Danni and TJB, you gossips! (I am however 'taken', as I think the kids (don't) say these days.)

19,081 to 19,100 of 19,627 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.