Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

19,401 to 19,420 of 19,623 messages
24/07/2013 at 12:26

Fog has cleared and we have torrential rain! Home mid rounds for dry clothes and coffee.

I think I need to emmigrate tooooo!

24/07/2013 at 12:32

LD - a friend of the wife of a sponsor told me that entries open on the 16 september.

24/07/2013 at 12:52
Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Anyway, am conserving my energy for the arrival of Maus. Today is the day we get the keys to our new apartment and start Life 2.0 together.

Wishing you both all of the best. If you need help with boxes/stuff like that - give me a call and i'll nominate Mr. Emmy to help

Dark Vader wrote (see)

Weedy..   you can take my name off the monthly events list for everything apart from Paris marathon 2014.   I'll still be doing those runs, but on my schedule and not necessarily the weekend the events are planned.   More to follow on this.  

This sounds interesting! I look forward to hearing what is next on your plan!

24/07/2013 at 14:35
Emmy H wrote (see)

Anyway, am conserving my energy for the arrival of Maus. Today is the day we get the keys to our new apartment and start Life 2.0 together.

Wishing you both all of the best. If you need help with boxes/stuff like that - give me a call and i'll nominate Mr. Emmy to help

Thanks Emmy! That's very kind of you. Though, one actually needs to have things to put in boxes....

24/07/2013 at 14:45

I can send you some shit to put in boxes if you like?  No muffins, though....

24/07/2013 at 14:46

Yes, I'm sitting here in my apartment of happiness and the only things we've got in here are two laptops and wi-fi internet connection. Might need to do some shopping...

24/07/2013 at 14:59

Nah.  What else could you possibly need apart from a kettle?

ATM
24/07/2013 at 15:12

“If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.” ( William Morris)

* Err, we might not all make the cut but may visit you, sometime, anyway......*

ATM
24/07/2013 at 15:15

would you like me to post you some gluten free choc brownies ... you must be geting hungry soon - oh i forgot young love and all that ..... happy days ....

oh and as I know you can all keep secrets ..... Doc has given me the all clear to do jersey marathon as HRT has sorted my cardiac issues ... still can't quite decide whether this is a good thing or not Mr PF definitely not sure but as he was with me when Mr Cardiologist & Doc confrimed this hasn't a leg to stand on only condition is that if looks like a really hot one (about 26 degrees) then not a good idea ...... 6th oct here I come ..... oh and then theres paris next year

ATM
24/07/2013 at 15:18

Yeah! For the all-clear..

ATM
24/07/2013 at 15:20

Hey PF. Huge congratulations! That's brilliant news!

ATM: That's a brilliant rule!

Dark Vader    pirate
24/07/2013 at 16:17

Yes, I'm sitting here in my apartment of happiness and the only things we've got in here are two laptops and wi-fi internet connection. Might need to do some shopping...

You don't need much else...   I spend my life looking at other peoples houses and I'd make a guess that most people have more things than they really need....

Keep it simple..  keep it minimal...  keep smiling and enjoy it.

Dark Vader    pirate
24/07/2013 at 16:56

yay PF  

24/07/2013 at 17:00

PF

24/07/2013 at 17:35

Great news PF

24/07/2013 at 18:39

PF -great news indeed!

TD - as DV says, keep it minimalist.  (PS Dont tell MrsD I sais that - she'll pitch out 90% of our stuff)

24/07/2013 at 19:24

Yay PF - great news

24/07/2013 at 20:02

PF - good news, but you know your body better than the doctors, so you'll be sensible, especially if it's hot?

OK, here's the ITLR digestion, split into two posts, one about people and one about running. First the people. I wanted to comment on all the threaders who were there.

TD - for spending so much time and energy on the project over the last few months, and donating his last remaining shreds of sanity  (I have the photos of you standing on your head in a shopping trolley)

Emmy - for being rock solid on the running, and especially on the bike, and for all the social media stuff. As well as the comment, when we set off at 2pm 'who do they  send to grind out the miles in the hottest part of the day? The Scot and the redhead...'

Weedy - for a uncomplainingly running whatever was asked of him, even when he ended up doing double the mileage, for always being there on the bike, for tirelesly staying up late to write the reports for the website and post the photos, and still being up first to make the tea. 

Iain - for being the voice of reason, for his expertise in battlefield surgery (although I think I might throw those tweezers out now), and for the drugs, obviously. 

Helterskelter - for her superlative tent-erecting skills, and being another person who got the giggles at inappropriate moments.

DLR - for bringing fresh legs to Frankfurt, and for keeping us up to date with his various experiments, successful and otherwise, in nipple protection.

Suzy - for turning up in the hope of being able to do a few kms with a dodgy knee, and putting in a storming performance, held together only with multi-coloured tape.

Cheers guys, it was a privilege to run with you all.

24/07/2013 at 20:18

Part 2 - running observations.

The main issue was the heat. Even in Central Europe in midsummer temperatures of 40 degrees plus are unusual. We cut back the lengths of the runs after the first few days so that people wouldn't be out as long, and aimed for 5k stretches.

However, I found for me that there's a world of difference between running a race in hot weather, and plodding along at your own pace, knowing you only have to stick out your hand for a water bottle, or that you can bale out into a minibus if necessary. I'm going to miss having a chase car on my next long run, and having Emmy singing out the window.

I also found a buff soaked in water, and re-soaked regularly, helped to keep the back of the neck cool.

Calf guards were a great help. Whether it was just psychological or they were actually physically helping, I don't know, but they certainly gave me confidence and the calf I was worried about was fine in the end.

Crunchy nut cornflakes are very easy on the stomach early in the morning and a good pre-run food. Bratwurst and sauerkraut, not so much. And Speculoos biscuits (the little gingery ones you get with your coffee) are great for carb loading.

OK, signing off from ITLR for now. Isle of Maus, anyone?

24/07/2013 at 20:22

RR - thanks for the great report. What an awesome experience!

19,401 to 19,420 of 19,623 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.