Paris Marathon 2014

Non, je ne regrette rien

3,201 to 3,220 of 10,096 messages
20/10/2013 at 14:32

I'm going very slowly but as soon as I take even one hand off the rail I feel like I'm about to wobble/ roll an ankle/ fall over/ fall off. Then because I'm holding on with a vice like grip I get really sore shoulders!

Im much happier to run outside but I thought maybe I should master the treadmill because it can be positioned under the air on- summer here can hit 42C 

Will try it with an incline but I think the road still wins.  Thanks or your help benignmurmurring

ATM
20/10/2013 at 14:45

Charlie4, I find I need to keep an absolutely steady pace on the dreadmill .If my mind wanders off , I stumble around .What about a wee running metronome, or an mp3 player with all the music manipulated to the same tempo, that reflects your normal running cadence? It's boring but I think you have to run like clockwork on those infernal machines..I can see why they were used as a punishment in prisons.

ATM
20/10/2013 at 15:43

Thanks for all the info! Really looking forward to the trip and a few nice morning runs!

Dark Vader    pirate
20/10/2013 at 21:14

34 miles for me today - Run Across Kent.  Was hard work, and very wet at times.  Great fun though and it was good to be back out there.

20/10/2013 at 21:33

Nice one DV

charlie4 - are you sure your treadmill is level side to side,  and is the belt tracking properly down the center of the treadmill?

21/10/2013 at 07:32

Good morning everyone,

Just arrived to work after leaving Amsterdam this morning at stupid O clock. Will reply more when i've got time later on.

21/10/2013 at 08:45

Good Morning All, what an awe-inspiring weekend, DV training in a deluge in preparation for his 50°C run, Dannir completing a HM a week after his full marathon and injury, and Emmy.... Emmy who's tapering included Berlin PB, Brussel and Cologne HM PB.  Cramping up with 17km to go and still finishing with a highly respectable time.  Well done and to everyone else who laced up this weekend.

Emmy, you're nearly a third towards your goal, it's far too early to consider but it would be an honour to run with you for your 100th.  End of 2015/begining of 2016, could block an Egnima day (30 runners).  I presume that much of 2014 will be races you've done this year (except Malta), any new one's you're hoping to do ? Are there many people in the 100 club ? If you do join them, or fall for TJB need for speed, or turn to the dark side of ultra running.  What you've done is amazing and whatever you'll do will be amazing.  You're amazing !

21/10/2013 at 08:58

Hi PC - you're too kind. I think the 100th will depend on the time of the year. Ideally I'd like to have Paris if it's springtime but we need to see when that comes RE: Races - I would actually like to not run the same races again! there are so many marathons out there that I dont want to run the same race again. It'd have to be special (i.e. Paris) for me to do it again. Next year is already filling up with a lot of new interesting races for me and hopefully more trail races so that I can run with the dog. If anyone does know of any longer races that allow dogs and is on trail in Belgium/Northern France/Holland - let me know

The 100 club is filling up more every year and I know a lot of them from the running circuit already. I'm just trying to enjoy runs and enjoy marathons. I'd like to do some for speed, also some ultras... I just want to be happy running

ATM
21/10/2013 at 09:16

Race Report, Weedy 'n' Em ! We're doing these marathons with you..in our heads.

Lovely 6k, v early for me...out in the dark and home as the sun came up. it's a beautiful day.I hope tartanpimpernel is getting the same weather further north as she runs across Scotland.Off to town for wedding anniversary lunch (35)

ATM
21/10/2013 at 09:35

Happy Anniversary ATM

21/10/2013 at 12:17

Well done everyone on all this weekend's runs!

I think your first 10k is magic.  For me it shifted my own beliefs about what was possible, not just running achievements but other areas of life too.  I did my first 18 miler on Saturday. Apart from an odd blister/bruise thing (first long run in those shoes), and feeling knackered all Saturday afternoon, I'm gobsmacked at the total lack of aches and pains.  Just had a short run today but could have done more.

21/10/2013 at 12:21

Kristen--Well done!  Im jealous that you don't have many aches and pains.  I definitely had a lot after my first 18 miler.  Actually, Ihave a lot after pretty much every 18 miler.

ATM--Happy Anniversary

Emmy-- Wow, as always.

DV--Great Run!

21/10/2013 at 12:22

Happ anniversary ATM! And Happy anniversary to you too, Orbutt - I saw the Liverstool on fb but forgot to comment. 

PC that's a great idea fo Emmy's 100th!

Well done to all of you amazing racers and marathoners over the weekend. My feeds were chock full of news from all of the races - York marathon, Cabbage Patch 10 and of course, Amsterdam. 

The Fenland Ten went okay yesterday, although I was unimpressed this weekend - managed to bring Mr KS' barcode to parkrun by mistake so didn't get a result and had the catchphrase 'No Barcode, No Time' quoted at me. I tried to argue that I had a barcode, but they weren't having any of it. Pah. Sunday I woke up an hour earlier than I needed (after a post midnight bedtime) feeling a bit cold-y: cough, headache, achy. Managed to shake it off and do the ten mile course anyway - goal was 1h30 and managed it in 1h27 despite the headwind and the three hills (they told us it was flat!). Glow in the dark t-shirt in medium (no smalls left) and a cracking cake table for afters.

21/10/2013 at 13:36

Hi all. After very hard run on Saturday (just in intensity if not duration - used 181 of my 182 heartbeats available to me), my legs haven't fallen off. Cyst looks pretty grim, MRI in 9 days. Will try to get as much cycling and running in as possible in the coming month on the assumption this is going to require an operation and rehab.

21/10/2013 at 13:57

TD if they try to make you go to rehab will you say no - no - no ?

KS - great effort, with that form S4orD should be a goer.

PC - great Idea for a mass get/run together at Emmy's 100th marathon - count me in, well up for that.

Emmy - you legend!, of course i will encourage you down the road of (as PC put it) TJB's Need for Speed. With your age, experience at 26.2 and relaxed running technique i think you have some fast marathons in you. Before you hang up your speed gears and go all ultra-tastic (as soon enough, 26.2 won't do it for you!) - obviously you have to do what is right for you, so i won't "pester" you (too much).

I'm actually hoping some of this year's Paris Posse will run their Boston qualifying time in Paris as i would love the company there in 2015. (if i get in of course) - come on you lot!  That has always been my motivation. Sub3 is not really the main thing on my agenda, if it happens one day then its meant to, but its not the be all and end all for me - i will try to go a bit quicker in Paris to try to cement my chances of getting into Boston. Plus you can use the time to get into That London bypassing That ruddy ballot!

21/10/2013 at 14:14

KS

TJB - out of interest I looked up the Boston Qualifying time - bwaaahahahaha. 

So I looked up the VLM GFA - bwaaaaahahahahaha. 

Unless, I may be able to convince them I'm over 70. 

ATM
21/10/2013 at 14:24
I eat only brown rice...I am so going to outlive their GFA..Orbutt, you n me, Boston, 2045..
ATM
21/10/2013 at 14:29

Boston Qualifier? Are you smoking something Jimbob?

21/10/2013 at 14:34

Jimbob - most of us are in the Sub 4 or die group !  If I may quote the words of a great man 'Bwaahahahaha' !

21/10/2013 at 14:40

Orbutt - or the other option is a sex change. The women's qualifying times are much, much easier than the men's. There are several women on this thread who could do GFA times - I reckon anyone who's done sub 4 is within striking distance for London (3:45 for 40 and under, 3:50 for 41-49, sub 4 for 50-59).

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.