Paris Marathon 2014

Non, je ne regrette rien

3,241 to 3,260 of 9,506 messages
22/10/2013 at 08:11

HS - I've done a few of them as "ägilty" races. What i'd recommend is strength training and as TD said: Good gloves. I let all of the matcho men go off and i chilled out at the baçk. It's advisable to do it with a team so that you can support each other on the climbing ones as it's normally a mad scramble.

22/10/2013 at 08:46

II was about to try and sign up for the Sodbury Slog, my local mud/cow manure run. But - damn it! - its full. Sort of disappointed. I definately don't have your insanity levels HS.

Got my medical certificate signed by the GP yesterday, no problems. I took a fresh ECG along and she listened hard for my 'benign murmur' which seems to have disappeared. Two other Drs at work coundn't find it either. I'm feeling really chuffed and more confident now. No more being a sooky la-la for me (great vocab that I learned from Maus). Should change the name but too much hassle.

Steve H - has to be a good thing to know if you have high blood pressure or not. If it does turn out to be high and you don't get your form signed this year then you can maybe still do it in the furure. BP is dynamic and running is great way to improve it, so long as you're not pushing too hard.

22/10/2013 at 09:39

Happy anniversary ATM!

Dannirr, I got all excited that I might be able to blame my treadmill for my inept performance. I can now report that one of us IS extremely unbalanced and consistently runs off centre. Unfortunately, it's not the treadmill. Oh well, it was a nice thought while it lasted.

22/10/2013 at 10:06

10 mile tempo this morning with a bit more zip than last Thursday's attempt.

not really into muddy trail running cause i'm a wuss, although a bit of trail is good for your training to strengthen the foot muscles - so i have a few traily bits on my normal 10 mile route

22/10/2013 at 12:58

The Tough Mudder/Warrior Dash events have become incredibly popular here.  Several people in my office have done them.  They all come back bruised, but seem to have enjoyed them.  One complaint is that their shoes get so muddy it is difficult to climb the obstacles.  They all agree that you should do the events as part of a team.

Personally,  I think running is hard enough without being covered in mud or crawling under barbed wire, but to each his own.

22/10/2013 at 13:14

Charlie4 - it might still be the treadmill and not you.  It could be the mechanism that gives springiness to the deck.  Get someone else on the treadmill and see if they have the same problem as you.  If not, then it's you!   Do you always drift to the same side?

22/10/2013 at 14:02

benignmurmurring wrote (see)
Got my medical certificate signed by the GP yesterday, no problems.

I called my docs to ask about it. They didn't have a clue what I was on about but said if I dropped the form in at the doctor she'd look at it to work out if she needed to give me a medical and/or if I needed to be charged for it. Bit cheeky considering I haven't been to the doctor's in about 5 years!

22/10/2013 at 15:14

Matty - France is full of bureaucracy.  You need a sports certificate to do any sport, ie 20€ for a rubber stamp. Multiply that by all the various sports men and women !!!  I've had a dozen certificates, never a question asked. You also need a medical certificate to work, renewed every 2 years.  English doctors tends to be cautious to committing themselves and could insist that you have some tests.  Better get the certificate out of the way early because it's always the person who waits until April who gets the doctor who insists on a MRI scan and full cavity search, which has a 3 month waiting list.

Edited: 22/10/2013 at 15:15
22/10/2013 at 15:38

Matty - It's normally if you havent been there for ages that they will give you a full medical. I normally get it done when I go there for a regular check and just say: sign this will you? And the dr doesnt give a second look. I agree with PC - better to have it done now than risk a long waiting list.

22/10/2013 at 15:56

Dammit I should have gone in under the pretence of an ear infection! But you are quie right about getting it done early. And of course here we are at 4pm and not a peep has been heard...

22/10/2013 at 16:02

The form looks like a bit of a joke - it doesn't even have the name of race printed on it, or the name of the organisation to whom it will be presented. It looks vague and homemade. All its really asking is if your Dr knows of any reason why you should not do the race: if you've nothing in your past medical history, which they have at their fingertips, and your blood pressure is fine and maybe they listen to your heart then I can't see that they would be justified in making it an issue. And from your photo, you've got youth on your side, which has to help.

My Doc did manage to ask those classic 2 questions; 'where is it held?' (written on form) and how far is it?

22/10/2013 at 16:09

Hey Jimbob - I did a similar run at lunchtime - 15.3K, tempo heart rate - 92% of MHR - in 1h06. Not so fast but it was really hard work, certainly over 20C today. Absolutely glorious autumnal weather, blue skies, all the colours in the trees, reflections off lakes, idyllic. And there was me with my sweaty red face and heaving breathing. Still, it's the hard ones which count.

22/10/2013 at 16:10

BMM - it's so you can use it in other (French) races.  How far is it ? depends on where you live, about 200 miles from London !

22/10/2013 at 16:15

Regular check up is always a good one to go with because they're mostly always tell you that you're fine and healthy to which you can reply: Well - here you go. This wont be any issue for you to sign... see - a simple way of getting it done for free

22/10/2013 at 16:34
Emmy H wrote (see)

Regular check up is always a good one to go with because they're mostly always tell you that you're fine and healthy to which you can reply: Well - here you go. This wont be any issue for you to sign... see - a simple way of getting it done for free

Devious! Maybe I'll try the same at the local NHS walk in clinic  instead!

22/10/2013 at 16:35

Devious? moi?

22/10/2013 at 17:54

But do walk in clinics have the same on-line access to your medical history? If not I think they will be obliged to send you back to the GP. But I'm all for devious if it works.

22/10/2013 at 17:55

TD, yes yours had a bit more zip than mine mate, I'm trying to hold marathon pace so HR was more like 75. Legs can't quite take the abuse just yet after recent efforts in races. Hopefully we can do 20k or so together on 02/11 although I will want it fairly relaxed as saving all my nitro boost cards for Valencia on 17/11. I might go super naughty fast this weekend, but only for a very short distance

22/10/2013 at 21:17

Just got back from Palma and...oh my...what a lot of catching up I've had to do.  Only ran the Half on Sunday although the full distance and a 10K was also racing at the same time.  

What can I tell you about this event? It was hot, hot, HOT. No where near enough toilets at the start (how predictable), but a truly beautiful route around the Port and then through the historic town centre.  It was a tad undulating but nothing too serious. The atmosphere was great and the volunteers manning the water stations "Whooped" their hearts out as we charged through.  On the subject of water stations - every 3k like clockwork and water in bottles that you can actually drink from on the move instead of stupid plastic cups.  Much needed.

Nice medal but no goody bag or t-shirt.....but it WAS only a Half.  

Then it was time to assess my performance. Initial disappointment (1:44, should have trained better), was replaced by amazement when I saw 1104 women had raced and I had somehow placed 67th - and come 12th out of 200 in my age group.  That'll have to do for now.

I would definitely do this event again, but way too hot for me to contemplate the full marathon here.

Well done to everyone else who raced this weekend.  Would be very interested to hear about Dam....

22/10/2013 at 21:48

Picklelilly - great running. I would love a 1:44 half.

You'll also love Paris, water in bottles every 5k

Matty - I doubt you'll get much joy at a drop in centre, some doctors won't even sign. There was a lady who ran in 2011 who's doctor scribbled out the 'after examination' bit and wrote 'without examination'. Totally useless, as the organisers wouldn't have accepted it. She had to go to another Dr.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.