Paris Marathon 2014

Non, je ne regrette rien

3,261 to 3,280 of 10,096 messages
22/10/2013 at 21:53

1:44 is a great time Picklelilly, especially in the heat. What is your PB for the half?

ATM
22/10/2013 at 22:07

Great Report, Picklelilly, and a fantastic time! Let's hope it's not too hot, next April.

Anyone getting ahead with the Medical Certificate..Save yourself hassle.It's the French way or no way so downloading the proforma is a good idea...And make sure it's stamped..as well as completed, signed and dated.'Cos you only get one chance at the Expo and they do look.

ATM
23/10/2013 at 07:22

Picklelilly - i had a few friends running the full in Palma and 'they've been raving about it as well. Great course, cheap beer afterwards and a rather hot 29ç during the race. I know a few people from colder climates have struggled with the heat as it's normally still quite warm there.

Agree with ATM - the medical form may look shite and unprofessional but it's the way they do it. I've used my Paris certificate for other races with no issue.

23/10/2013 at 08:34

Well after 3 weeks I have put my dummy back in! 

Starting to feel better, although still a few demons around. I have had plenty of time to evaluate and re-evaluate......and although I have not reached any final conclusions I know that it is my mindset and self belief that are my main problems. To achieve what I want I need to know in advance that I am capable of doing it, so with that in mind it is time to take a different approach to training! Next few months, are going to be focused on getting fully healthy again but with that lots of faster running as oppopsed to LSR pace/recovery pace. This also means that I am going to have to ditch the running on empty that I have always done and start running later in the day after food as there is no way that I can run at anything but easy pace at KOC with no food! 

I have sorted out a manageable running schedule, and as long as other things run smoothly it is doable and all in daylight hours. 

At the moment all thoughts of running Paris are off the agenda, but that doesn't mean that it won't happen.........we never thought I'd be able to run it this year after my appendix op either! 

23/10/2013 at 09:22

Great news Kaz 

23/10/2013 at 09:36

Yay - Kaz is back

Dark Vader    pirate
23/10/2013 at 09:38

For the new people..     don't phone your GP asking for a 'medical'.  Just make a routine appointment for a check-up and while you are there, ask for the form to be signed.   Simple.

23/10/2013 at 10:00

Great stuff Kaz, also, consider having 2 or 3 days off a week as rest days ..... i'm not an advocate of high mileage - athough that just for me - a lot of people do more miles, if my body could take it it maybe i would as well. Something that always rings in my mind is what TD and other experienced runners have said - is getting the best out of of your training sessions, the "quality sessions" - but then also being able to recover from each session properly so the next "quality session" has enough quality in it - innit! they didn't word it like that but you get my drift. So my quality sessions are (in order of importance for me) 1) medium long tempo at mara pace 2) long run 3) speed/interval/threshold - recovering from those runs could be a rest day or a gentle 30-40 run - others might have an hour on the bike or in the pool. You've probably heard all this before - so i'm not trying to patronize - you are more experienced than me at the distance, but the impression i get is you train hard. You know you are capable of going like the clappers from your training data so its a case of training smart, recovering, conditioning to get yourself in the right zone for a real crack on race day. Of course if you (or anyone) get a virus the week of a marathon then it's kind of buggered, so put into context how you performed in Berlin with that in mind and you actually did very well to get under 4 hours.

23/10/2013 at 10:00

Hi folks, newbie here - for the thread and the marathon!! Hope I'm not covering too much old ground with this qu...

I have just signed up for Paris (and booked a 'check up' with my GP!) and have started looking at training plans... as a first time marathoner I'm not sure how heavy handed to go in with the training, my recent half marathon PB was 1h46 which by the RW calculator gives a target marathon time as sub 3h45, which seems a bit too fast to me... so my question is, start the training for the faster time, but knock it back if it's too much or start on a 4h00 schedule and ramp it up if going smoothly?    Any advice welcomed! Jo

23/10/2013 at 10:18

That's great to hear Kaz. You don't have to worry about self-belief - we've all got more than enough belief in you to make up for it. You're more than capable of doing anything you put your mind to. You've proved it time and time again.

Hi Jo  The experts on training plans will be along shortly, but I'd say you have to work out what you want to get out of the race. If you want to get the best time you can, you'll be looking at a different plan than if you're just wanting to have a memorable weekend and get round in a decent time, with the aim of improving on it in subsequent events. Turning a 1.46 half into a sub 3.45 full does seem a bit of a stretch to me, but there's six months of training ahead, so it's doable if you want it. I'd say aim high, then see how it goes.

DV - That was Chucky. This is Chuckie. Different spelling

Charlie - Are you maybe running too far forwards on the treadmill?

Picklelilly - That's a great result

23/10/2013 at 10:27

Thanks Weedy, as it's my first one, I'm looking at it from a memorable day point of view... my aim was more in the 4h15 mark, which I think is a bit more achievable than the 3h45!!

23/10/2013 at 10:50

Welcome Jo, sounds you're going to be part of the "Sub 4 or Die" group. 

Weedy - I'm good at hunting your clues on Google. Very appropriate film about friendship and achieving one's potential. Lots of drinking involved. Can't remember where it was set.

23/10/2013 at 12:50

Great news Kaz!

Jimbob - interesting to here you say you are not a fan of high mileage as I had the impression that's exactly what you did?  What weekly mileage are you reaching about 4 weeks out from a marathon?

Welcome UisgeJo

23/10/2013 at 13:05

Kaz - Welcome back

UisgeJo - Welcome... i will apologise already for misspelling your name in future... it seems safer as I already had to correct it twice

If you can run a 1.46 half then a 3.45 is definitely on the cards but I'd choose sub 4 as the target and then join in with the bunch of merry (wo)men running sub 4 or die. I'm in a similar boat timewise but would give yourself a little time to train and build up mileage in your legs. RW do some training plans but I'd also recommend Shades Training plan on here.

I'm not going to say anything... I shall just flump into a chair in the corner and watch everyone for a while.

23/10/2013 at 13:38

Thanks Dannirr, thanks Weedy,

Will persevere with this one. As far as I can tell the treadmill is fine. I can walk quickly on it with no problem. I run quite far forward, largely cos I'm short and because I h

23/10/2013 at 13:41

Have to hold on with a death grip! 

The more I look at it, the more I think I probably need more practise and maybe a stronger core too.  

It's going to be 32deg tomorrow so I may need to learn this skill before too long

Thanks for helping! 

23/10/2013 at 14:30

Thanks, I'm just trying to work out what's realistic, as my big fear is going too hard and injuring myself close to the event!

Emmy - no worries - just Jo is fine!! Shades contacted as well!

23/10/2013 at 14:33

Thanks Jo I started out my first marathon with Shades and still loosely follow her plan now. She's my go to guru for advice (she's done over 300 so knows whats shes talking about).

Have you sorted out your accommodation yet? if you PM Marathon Maus/ATM your email- they can send you lots of useful information about where to stay etc.

Charlie - I have a colleague just outside sydney and they were saying that the only time that they can run is 4am in the morning as the temperature is just too hot otherwise

23/10/2013 at 14:33

Danni - peaking at about 46-47 miles ..... but that is only for a couple of weeks.

My average mileage was 33.5 miles p.w for my 21 week Berlin training plan. It should have been more like 37 but i had to ditch some recovery runs last minute for rest days to help with my niggles.

23/10/2013 at 14:56

Had a really good run yesterday.  5 miles after work, about 12C at sunset.  Not a very long run but it felt wonderful.  Did you ever have one of those runs where you felt like you could run forever?  Where you thought you were just jogging, but looked at your Garmin at the end to discover you ran much faster than an average run?  Where you felt pleasantly cool throughout? 

It was like that yesterday.  Such runs are few and far between lately, but are a great reminder why I run.

I hope everyone has a run like that today.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.