Paris Marathon 2014

Non, je ne regrette rien

3,281 to 3,300 of 10,096 messages
23/10/2013 at 15:12

Welcome Jo. I advise you use the VDOT calculator (easy to find with a popular search engine, for example www.dogpile.com - other search engines are available

Put in a relevant race time run under ideal conditions, such as your HM PB. It will then give you the training paces you should be using for whatever training programme you adopt. You can reevalutae the ideal paces half way through the programe and then maybe again in the last 4 weeks, to get a better idea of what you are capable of runing on race day.

I always say that the first marathon you are going to be about 15 minutes slower than the second one you do, because you really have no idea how hard it can be. I don't advise chasing a tough goal like 3h45 unless you are a really disciplined and committed trainer.  Stick around and join in the fun - we will motivate each other all the way to race day.

23/10/2013 at 15:14

Cheers Emmy, I have booked accomodation as thought it was better to do it sooner rather than later, about a mile from the start line, nothing fancy so will hopefully be ok!

heading out for first "post-sign up" run tonight... hoping it will be similar to Lawyeraaron's run yesterday!

23/10/2013 at 15:16

Thanks Tricky Dicky, will check out VDOT, sounds like good advice on timing and expectations - cheers

23/10/2013 at 15:31

Jo - Tricky is right and that's a fab way to understand what pacing you should be doing. I saw mine and cried a little inside

Good luck for your run. I'll be "saving" myself until the morning. Tonight I have a date with my kitchen and baking ingredients. For some reason my running buddies at work thought they heard that I'd bake them cookies if they met the pacing on our Tuesday night run... They did and now I need to bake!

23/10/2013 at 20:21

Jo - my 1st marathon was 15 minutes slower than my 2nd (as per TD's post) and the training was pretty similar for them both. Mentally i was better prepared for the 2nd one. Personally I'd aim for 4 hours and see how you get on in training.

(my HM PB at that time was 1:44 and my first marathon was 3:54. Sub 4 or Die?)

Lawyeraaron - my last two runs have been like that, but normally they are few and far between!

Kaz -  Enjoy the shorter, faster runs and see where it takes you. Do you have any local 5K or 10K races you could enter? Getting a few PBs under your belt is a great motivator/confidence booster. And take some rest days!

23/10/2013 at 20:45

No 5 or 10k's here Simon....I will make do with some X country instead......starting Sunday! 

23/10/2013 at 21:19

I've never tried cross country (apart from at school, which was a few years ago) - I'm sure you will enjoy it. Good luck.

ATM
23/10/2013 at 21:37

kaz! I thought you were going to rest? 

Welcome to the thread, UisgeJo.A mile from the Start sounds like a perfect warm-up walk.

ATM
24/10/2013 at 02:59
Go Kaz
24/10/2013 at 07:05

Well ATM i have just got up.......theres resting!! And if this weather continues there will be no X country on Sunday anyway - gale force winds and horrizontal rain again! 

ATM
24/10/2013 at 07:26
Ooo, I was up before Kaz! I m going to put that in my diary... Stay inside, Sunday. It s going to be horrible.
Jo, I ve messaged you but the forum s eating a lot of stuff so it might not reach you..Can we welcome you to the Caledonia Massive? This place is hoachin with Scots...This one is heading for Paris, totally underprepared for a Half in the woods.
ATM
24/10/2013 at 08:39

ATM - You're not enticing me for Sunday's race ;0)

24/10/2013 at 08:59

Fortunately, I'm racing on Saturday . I have a feeling we may be up to our necks in mud though.

24/10/2013 at 12:50

I'm in *lalalalalalalalalalalalalaaaaaaaaaa* mode about Saturday.  We'll be too high up on a hill for there to be mud

ATM
24/10/2013 at 13:33

Picklilliy and Jo, I ve sent you mail but I m on a Mac with a French keyboard and this is an old dog typing... 

Me, too, yer_maj....

ATM
24/10/2013 at 13:35

Anyone seen Eggy lately?   Starting to get worried about him....

24/10/2013 at 14:21

Think Eggy's away to Barcelona??

24/10/2013 at 14:23

ATM - is the azerty and all the !@#&$* getting to you?

Danirr - good question....

24/10/2013 at 15:02
How come no one misses me when I don't post

I'm currently injured if anyone cares to know !!
24/10/2013 at 15:42

Scoot W - have you recently changed your name or are you a new poster...?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.