Paris Marathon 2014

Non, je ne regrette rien

3,301 to 3,320 of 10,096 messages
24/10/2013 at 16:11
Emmy - tis I ,, the artist formally known as Scott the slightly faster than walking walker but who know thinks its a bit long winded !

Have you forgotten me already ?
24/10/2013 at 16:24

I'm sorry, who are you again?

I had an inkling it was you but you never know... there werent too many ,,,, in your last post so I could have been mistaken

24/10/2013 at 16:33

On the 'What marathon plan?' front I am veering madly between a slightly adapted P&D with lots of miles (for me anyway) and a 3-quality-runs-a-week-FIRST-type-thing. How do you decide?? At this rate I will just wing it and make it up as I go along. Will somebody just tell me what to do please? So long as I don't have to follow Hal Higdon.

24/10/2013 at 17:18

If you follow Hal you have to wear matching clothing, preferably pink.

This year I will be doing P&D again but will be substituting one of the recovery runs for cross training on the bike.  That would be the bike that I haven't got yet....

24/10/2013 at 17:56

Hal has already been taken to the charity shop .

P & D looks brilliant but I don't think I could get up to the suggested mileage without injury - it just increases so fast at the beginning. I am already anticipating the shin splints. I also want to keep my club runs up, which don't quite fit the plan but get me out running on a wet winter's evening. I think I will end up with an 'adapted' P&D maybe also substititing a static bike session for a recovery one. Right, sorted. Thanks

24/10/2013 at 18:09

BM - if your concern is the rate of ramp-up in the P&D plan ten read their caveats/ assumptions of capability before you start. Effectively, you should aready have a substantial running base if you want to use any of their plans.As to whether or not their plans are the right ones for you, well that depends on your running experience, the amount of time you've got to train and most importantly, what your objectives/ aspirations are. Tell us more and we can say something a bit more specific

Ran an 8.5km race at lunchtime. Pretty hilly. 5 hours later my lungs are still throbbing. 32:50. Done and done good.

24/10/2013 at 20:35

Hi Scoot - pull up a chair and tell us a bit about yourself. Will this be your first Paris marathon? Most importantly, which pen are you aiming for? Purple's the place to be I hear.

If you message ATM, she'll send you some information about the race. And some scones probably.

24/10/2013 at 20:49
Jeez oh weedy ,,, ET TU !!!
24/10/2013 at 21:16

Oh go on then scoot tell us about your injury. Patapat pat.

24/10/2013 at 21:21

TD -  I've read the caveats; I'm running 25-30m per week and doing regular half marathon length LSRs but I still feel the plan would be a big step up for me. I'm in the grey pen (sub 4.15) but i'd still be thrilled with 4.30 for a first marathon. I can run a sub-2hr half. I want to train hard but steady and be ready to step back if there is any sign of injury, although I've been just about injury free for a year now. I'm ok with 5 runs a week or four plus a cross train - more would be hard to accomodate. I want to enjoy it and not cry like a baby for the last 6 miles. I love all the sports science stuff. I'm fine with a bit of speed and tempo (though I'm not especially fast).

24/10/2013 at 21:31

Weedy / Scoot you Billy Sollox's

24/10/2013 at 22:03

Ah, I knew it was you all along Scott, honest.

Ditto what HS says - is the injury bad?

24/10/2013 at 22:44
Thanks guys - Twisted my back in work last week and I've now developed a pain in my knee , I'm not sure if its real , I appear to have a habit of doing this to myself

I asked last year if pain can be phycisomatic and how much is real , can your mind trick you into thinking you have an injury that's not there ,

Do I have an over active imagination ??

On seconds thoughts , anybody that has met me already knows the answer to that one !
24/10/2013 at 23:06

Twisted your back "in work", huh? 

25/10/2013 at 07:44

BMM - prior to my first marathon, my first half was 2:02. I completed the full in 4:31 including a bit of stopping due to muscle cramps.

I would say 4:15 would be within your grasp and 4:30 should be your bronze target

25/10/2013 at 07:57

Scoot - I think everything in 90% mental if you're physically fit. I also think it can be stress appearing in different ways.

BMM - If Paris is your first marathon then i'd be wary of P&D. As TD says - the amount of mileage that you should already be doing/have in your legs is important.'Have you had a look at the Shades training plan on here?

25/10/2013 at 08:02

BMM - well I wouldn't be too intimidated to have a go at the first of the P&D plans if I were in your shoes - that peaks at 50 miles per week I think. TBH marathon training is a bit daunting. I've run over 1,400kms in prep for some marathons and after a year and a half in furlow, I am daunted about going back to the training. As long as you are careful to ramp up and avoid the shin splints, I think you should be OK. If I had one word of advice it would be to start pushing your LSRs up from around 21kms to 28-30kms every other weekend between now and Christmas. And don't be afraid to be doing tempo runs each week, whatever happens.

Scoot. What is the nature of your work and are there any vacancies for someone willing to put in a hard effort? I'm interested in working with others and not doing it on my own.

25/10/2013 at 08:54
TD- my work consists generally of pointing at things and telling people what to do with the things I'm pointing at , I think I overdid the pointing at one stage

As for your desire to work with others rather than solo ,, I believe you already have that covered with MM
25/10/2013 at 09:04

It's too early to wheel out the injury bench - restrain yourself from pointing until that back is sorted!

My new Hokas have arrived (heavily cushioned shoes with a low heel drop for running loooong distances). I think they might need a bit of getting used to - but the main problem will be fitting them in my bag for travelling - they're huge!

So this evening the great Beachy road trip begins - Eastbourne here we come! (No, that really doesn't sound right). 

Edited: 25/10/2013 at 09:06
25/10/2013 at 09:19

RR - Have a safe trip and good luck to all those running Beachy. I really hope the weather isnt as bad as they predict!

RE: Hokas. I've heard that they can take a while to get used to!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.