Paris Marathon 2014

Non, je ne regrette rien

6,201 to 6,220 of 9,770 messages
03/02/2014 at 10:46

...Oct 12: PF's birthday. Yorkshire Marathon - Andy W.
Oct 19: Denver Marathon: Orbutt.
Oct  28: Stort 30 - Emmy.
Nov 2: Leeds Rob's birthday.
Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
Dec 1: James B's birthday.
Dec 27: Wiola's birthday.
Dec 31: TD's birthday.
Jan 3: OO's birthday.
Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
Jan 15: Aaron's birthday, Yer Maj's birthday.
Jan 19: DV's birthday.
Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.

03/02/2014 at 12:10

Well I am glad to say it seems my Paris marathon training is on track, I PB'd a hilly half marathon yesterday, I was under instruction from Steve the marathon coach to go at a comfortable pace and see how I felt at the end and not just push as hard as I could, his advice was great, I kept at about the same pace as my PB on the same course last year up to 9.5 miles, then had stacks in the legs and charged home taking a minute off my PB and feeling great in the process.1.22.41

Ruth, the nutritionist got me to practice a pre-race carb loading diet that had me eating a huge amount of food the day before, this really helped and i had loads of energy during and didn't need gels to get me round and didn't collapse in a heap at the end, so I am definitely learning and getting stronger.

looking forward to reading half next, anyone else doing reading?

03/02/2014 at 14:57

Sounds like everyone had a good weekend of running!

I managed a pleasing weekend of running, the weather was surprisingly good here in somerset which helped! 5.5 easy miles on Saturday morning, and my 18m LSR sunday.

The LSR was much harder than I thought it would be compared to last week. Partially due to the 250m elevation gain (Please someone tell me that Paris is less than this?!) and partially as it was my new PB longest run. Uncharted territory, so I was pleased to complete it!

I tested my Nutrition strategy - My stomach agrees with the SIS GO gels which is pleasing though I expected them to be much sweeter! I took a 500ml bottle of water that attaches to my belt. I drank a the same time as I took my gels and it just about lasted, though I could have done with more.

Think I'll try and find a bottle that is bigger yet still fits in the belt. My concern is carrying the extra weight, but at least it means i'll be "Lighter" come April 6th.

No long run this week, Longleat 10k for me instead then up to the dizzy heights of 20m the week after!

9 weeks to go

03/02/2014 at 15:26

Matty - knock a zero off that figure and you'll be closer to the Paris elevation gain. Only a couple of slopes out of underpasses to bother you. From what I recall, two were a bit mean but nothing you won't have encountered on a flat training run. Also, water stations every 5k. I carry water but I get most of it at the stations - and it's in bottles. 

Weedy - very clever but I had to resort to Google. 

03/02/2014 at 17:04

mattywarr - do you have a friend who needs a free 10k Longleat entry? I'm registered but racing around hills would really kill my crappy knee at the moment. Have you noticed that the course has completely changed from previous years? I'm thinking its not so good because it doesn't end with that brilliant downhill run towards Longleat house. Perhaps I'm just feeling bitter because I can't run it.

03/02/2014 at 17:26
Congratulations Rog on a fantastic half pb. You will fly in Paris!
Re Reading, sadly for the first year in many I won't be taking part. I would have been there but for some strange reason they decided to put it on 2 weeks earlier. On the plus side, i will be at Silverstone with a big posse from this thread. Hopefully have a good burn over there.

Rog, if your plan permits you might have another pb attempt in Reading, it's a fast course despite two hills.
03/02/2014 at 19:39
Benignmurmuring - I'll pop something on Facebook and see if I get any bites if you like? I'd have taken it just to get the missus in the venue (another big change, charging for spectator entry!) but I've talked her into the fun run instead - her first 'race'!

It's my first time running it, so I don't know what it was like before but I've had something like 3 emails changing the course. That and now spectators having to pay to get in... It's all seemed a bit of a shambles!
03/02/2014 at 19:41
Hilly half in 1.22, crazy running, fantastic work Roger! Yep trundling Reading half, looking forward to it. LSR going a dream since advice, reigned it in to 30 - 40 secs slower than mp pace, feeling content! Happy running week all!
03/02/2014 at 19:57

mattywarr - yep, go ahead with the facebook idea - I've already offered it around my running friends with no takers. There is still time to post on the race number/chip. It is a good race in a beautiful setting but I am unimpressed with the organisation this year.

Do you make sure that you run fast. There is always a rumour that they let the lions out to round up any stragglers

03/02/2014 at 20:06

Roger reid - you did Watford didn't you? I saw the RW pacers.

03/02/2014 at 20:09

Bleurgh. Germed up. Through my hallucinations I read someone ran 1h22 hilly HM. Most be seeing things (but nice one Roger!)

TinkerBEL is feeding me Jewish penicillin (apparently). No trips to Ikea are on the cards thankfully. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be running for a couple of days yet (and the last one was Wednesday).

2 mins off a 10miler PB - fabulous KeyserSuze. You don't need tattoos to be a marked woman. Keep it going, great stuff.

03/02/2014 at 20:57

Jewish penicillin? With or without noodles?

TD, if you can crawl off your sickbed at some point, can you repost how to calculate the number of calories you need to consume during a long run? I think it was you that posted it. I remember at the time thinking I don't take on enough, but there seem to be a lot of different theories. Ta.

03/02/2014 at 21:07

Ooooh yes please, I'd like to see that too.  It's about time I had something else to obsess over....

03/02/2014 at 21:14

Roger - how much and what type of carbs did you load up on? I love eating, me.

RS - I ran with a Runners World pacer at Blackpool last year. She cheated a bit by running too fast for the first 12 miles and then slowing down to ensure she came in on time. Not that I'm complaining as she helped me to a PB (since beaten). 

03/02/2014 at 21:31

For P&Ders of this parish, I am relieved to announce the safe despatch of that pesky little 11 miles with 7 at LT pace this morning.  And it didn't rain.  Which was nice.

03/02/2014 at 21:35

I chased the 2 hr pacers at Tunbridge Wells a few yrs ago. Then they stopped!  They were on gun time and I'd started well back. Smashed the sub 2 barrier for my first sub 2. Pacers are good...actually...was it Tunbridge you did roger? I saw the asics team there that year.

03/02/2014 at 22:16
I chased a sub2 pacer for 10 miles at Silverstone 2010, got a stitch and he disappeared! Came in at 2:00:20, was miffed! Took another 18 months/ 7 attempts before I finally skimmed 1:59:47 without a pacer!

They can be useful but they also get mobbed by runners, probably cost me a couple of mins in Paris last year trying to jostle past the 3.30 pacer for about 5-6k who had about 500 people sticking to him. I was constantly speeding up/slowing down as i tried to weave through. Quite frustrating when you have 27k behind you. Beware the Paris Pacers, with a 40,000 field its a chocka marathon
Edited: 03/02/2014 at 22:17
03/02/2014 at 22:30

Just following on from that little story .... talking of Paris, its a busy marathon, but it is possible to run your goal pace. (more or less) - i was pleasantly suprised at how easy it was to change pens - unlike some/most races. 

It was very cool to be able to switch to a zone where i was surrounded by people running pretty much the same pace. If everyone follows pen ettiquette it makes it far more enjoyable. We had quite a few of us change pens last year, people who had revised their goals near the time, others who weren't able to train enough through injury dropping back to the pink pens. (for the boozing)  

So, Marathon/Paris newbies. At the end of the training cycle when you have done all yur tune up races and long runs and you enter the insane tapering phase, then is a good time to give yourself a realistic goal based on your recent results/training pace zones. Then maybe talk to some more experienced people about what you think you can run, and then at the expo - go and get in the appropriate zone. This will give you a happier less stressful experience.

At Berlin last year, the faster pens were a joke and you couldn't change leading to congestion for the first 20K.

The Paris starting zones are great (apart from all the urine)

Edited: 03/02/2014 at 22:31
03/02/2014 at 22:33
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and gearing up to do my first marathon (Paris). I noticed someone mention the 'puddles' at Watford - that wasn't a puddle, it came half way up my shin!! I had been told there were a couple of hills and there certainly were, but no one mentioned that I would need my snorkel!
03/02/2014 at 22:52
Got an appointment with the physio for Thursday,he's going to assess my injury then hopefully make a schedule for me to get me ready for Paris.fingers crossed my injury isn't too bad.

I've been using the bike at the gym and it's tough fighting off the temptation to jump on treadmill,it's like opening the fridge and trying not to eat all the kids goodies in there,tough
Edited: 03/02/2014 at 22:57
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.