Paris Marathon 2014

Non, je ne regrette rien

6,401 to 6,420 of 10,096 messages
10/02/2014 at 08:04

Happy birthday Emmy! I think you should wear your bling from the weekend all day to celebrate !

Some great running out there this weekend - the racers, those coming back from injury, and those who just dragged their backsides outside the door in horrible weather. Hang on in there, those on the injury bench, it will get better.

And a special thanks to Scott and Jimbob for towing me around London at a rather faster pace than I would normally have managed.

10/02/2014 at 08:12

Well done RR on your run. Love the picture.

Hmm... I'll see what I can do about wearing the bling... maybe I could pass it off as birthday bling?

10/02/2014 at 08:28

Penblwydd Hapus lovely girl   Let there be cake!

10/02/2014 at 08:34
yer maj wrote (see)

Penblwydd Hapus lovely girl   Let there be cake!

Cake.... I struggled with breakfast

10/02/2014 at 08:40

Happy Birthday Emmy. Hope your celebrating!

Well done on everyones running at the weekend. i must say I am a touch jealous of the meet ups. 

Rest day here.......or as much of a rest day as I am going to get! Strangely, given the fact my legs ached and felt sooooo heavy last night, they are fine this morning. A relief considering all this weeks mileage is over the next 3 days - weather permitting!

10/02/2014 at 08:50
E mmy wrote (see)

Morning all,

Back online finally!

Summary: A quad is harder than you think!

Happy birthday Emmy.

I love that quote. I couldn't even contemplate running four marathons in four days never mind under-estimate it!

10/02/2014 at 11:13

Wow! You are all doing so well (and I got all excited at my 5 mile pb yesterday!) I'm not doing Paris....just as well really! 

Congrats and much awe to all.

10/02/2014 at 11:53

Hello; long time lurker, first time poster!

Doing my first Paris marathon this year (and my second overall, Brighton 2012 in a slightly personally disappointing 4.21). Run several half marathons as well, hitting a 1.39 PB in the Cardiff half in October. Am currently trying out the Hanson Brothers training method (http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/marathoning-hansons-way), sticking to it as closely as I realistically can, or at least I have done since the Christmas party season... It's certainly had a fantastic effect on me as a runner - would never have thought I could do successive 50 mile weeks before - but the proof will really be in the pudding as to whether it works for the full marathon.

Only really aiming to beat 4 hours, though current timings suggest something a little stronger could be on the cards (finished a 50 mile week yesterday with a comfortable 10 miles in 81 minutes). Looks like there's some great progress being made all-around here, I look forward to joining in the conversation!

ATM
10/02/2014 at 12:01

Happy Birthday, Emmy!

And welcome into the daylight,tmbrntt. You'll be surrounded by quite a bunch in the Sub-4-or-die corner.. And I think you'll love the course.

When you get rid of that pesky work-habit, DV, could you post a Runners' List for us?

ATM
10/02/2014 at 13:02

tmbrntt - Welcome to the thread. Based on that training and your half PB then sub-4 should be well within reach.

10/02/2014 at 13:13

Happy Birthday Emmy

And wow, what an achievement Emmy and Weedy - absolutely amazing. It's hard enough to run that kind of distance but to do it in laps like that makes it so much tougher. I get bored doing an out and back!

So what are your marathon counts up to now?

tmbrntt - welcome! They are a great bunch here but I reckon you already know that if you've been watching from the sidelines

I agree with Eggy, sounds like you could indeed be capable of getting well inside 4hrs. What happened in Brighton? I'm assuming it didn't go to plan?

10/02/2014 at 13:22
Doing 4 marathons in 4 days is some achievement on its own but to do them all in well under 5 hrs is remarkable,well done.

I managed 90mins on the bike today,I managed an average HR of 165 which for me is about 82%,tho it defo didn't feel anywhere near as tiring as running for 90 mins.Main thing tho,there wasn't really any discomfort on my knee.
10/02/2014 at 13:33

Malcs - at that point I wasn't really the runner I am now in fairness, had gotten out of it for a little while before starting training (my most recent half at that point was 1.53, with a 1.44PB a couple of years previous).

I was on track for sub-4hrs until about 19 miles when I really started to struggle; in the aftermath I came to realise that only taking on water (i.e. no lucozade, jelly babies, gels, anything) during the race may have been a mistake! You live and learn though eh.

10/02/2014 at 13:39
Emmy - happy birthday " a quad is harder than you think" another classic quote from a classy lady
Just heading back up to glasgow after another eventful trip to That There London
16.something ( I dunno what cause my garmin kept stopping to photobomb the tourists ) in the company of jimbob and Running Rodent , jimbob leading the way and RR giving me the full tour guide ,although coming from Edinburgh I'm not sure if she was winding me up ( is the Tower of London really based on the old Edinburgh Meat Market )
I'm now knackered and heading home , great weekend once again
Oh and weedy could you put me down for the finchely 20 in March , I appear to have agreed to do it whilst under the spell of jimbobs charm
10/02/2014 at 14:15

tmbrntt - ah, yes I made exactly the same schoolboy error in my first marathon. Hit the wall terribly at 20 miles. It's a horrible, horrible thing. 

You'll see a big difference with in race fuelling and also a proper carbo load (its far more than just a big bowl of pasta the day before). 

Best of luck - certainly seems like the training is going well!

10/02/2014 at 15:12

Malcs - I'd be interested in what has been suggested as properly carb loading before a marathon. Although I fear it may just point out that I'm on a 365 day a year carb load!

10/02/2014 at 15:39

Hi tmbrntt

Malcs - 25 for me now

10/02/2014 at 15:45

Weedy - wow, racking them up there! Is the aim to make the 100 club? 

Eggy - lol  

I was gobsmacked when I found out what I should have been eating. I tried it for the first time last April and it made a massive difference. 

Here's what I have been advised to have this year based on my weight of 73kg. This is to be done for the two days prior to the race.

Many of the items you could swap for things with a similar carb content. The reason for going for the items below is that they are things that can easily be acquired in Paris (you guys are the experts though so let me know if you spot anything, although malt loaf I'll be taking with me). French bread for example is, I believe, very easy to get hold of . So is beer but oddly that's not on the list.

Breakfast

70g of porridge   or other cereal with 200-250ml milk & raisons with syrup & 200ml   glass of fruit juice

Mid-morning

100g French bread with jam (or three slices of thick sliced bread & marmalade) & 500ml fruit juice over morning

Lunch

100g pasta & 250ml fruit juice & 1 slice of malt loaf.

Mid-afternoon

500ml low fat milkshake (again can sip on this over the afternoon) & bread & jam

Evening meal

100g pasta with tomato based sauce & pint of  fruit juice or high juice/cordial & 1   slice of malt loaf

Supper

4 x weetabix with large banana and 200ml of milk

Edited: 10/02/2014 at 15:49
10/02/2014 at 15:55

even if I could eat that stuff, I think I would be sick with the quantity of food

10/02/2014 at 16:17

I would never have thought of drinking that amount of fruit juice! Other than the malt loaf/Weetabix supper it's not far off what I've done the last couple of years in Paris.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.