Paris Marathon 2014

Non, je ne regrette rien

641 to 660 of 10,096 messages
18/08/2013 at 17:42

That's about my aim Orbutt.  Be great just to finish one after the last 14 months!

TheEngineer    pirate
18/08/2013 at 18:15
Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
Orbutt wrote (see)

Maybe your ar5e is designed for poll dancing 

Its not getting smaller because its now muscle. 

I'm not sure that running on empty and taking nothing on for a 22k is something I could do. I'm hoping to go that far later but I will be porridged up and I'll also carry a gel/water mix. Ask TD to explain the science bit. 

There is some evidence to suggest that doing carbohydrate depleted runs is very effecive at training your body to store more glycogen in muscle tissue/ liver and to become more efficient at burning fats over faster sugars. But, this sort of training is pretty dangerous and i would only recommend it if you have someone accompanying you who has got plenty of sugary drinks readily available.

Once you bonk out/ hit the wall, it's pretty difficult to recover from and it feels utterly demoralising to keep going. I've done it before and can't say I enjoyed it, plus it can scare any passersby because you look dreadful.

It's something I've been doing on the bike - going out on a Sunday morning on a small breakfast and going as far as I can without taking on any carbs. I find that if I go with the tri club I can hang on the back while I try and get carbs into me - but when you're running it's a harder hole to dig out of. Flipside is if you bonk on the run, you're less likely to misjudge traffic.

18/08/2013 at 18:52

Some days the gods of running are against you 

went for a 12 mile LSR this morning , sun was shining , a small cooling breeze in the air ,good track on my iPod blasting out , great day to be out running I thought ,, then bang 

fell over a paving slab that was up too high , cut my knee , a few fingers and felt my hip took a sore one but wasn't bleeding , thought may as well continue my run , then got round the corner , stiff breeze against me , three miles of uphill slog , numerous traffic lights , then turned around to head thinking ill find a park instead to run round 

the park was full of prams and dog walkers , my ex then decided to phone me 

18/08/2013 at 18:58

After a ten min rant because my 20 year old daughter wanted to stay with me on mon nite ,started to run and my hip was killing me , had to walk back the final two miles , then saw my phone was damaged on the fall , jogged a bit more when I thought I Could then was nearly ran down by a cyclist , then a car never saw me and nearly wiped me out 

im now taking painkillers , wine and thinking about the BBQ and trifle I could've had this weekend instead 

life is cruel ain't it ????

18/08/2013 at 19:20

Bloody hell Scott, that sounds like a shocker of a run! I hope your hip isn't badly hurt. Keep up the wine intake.

18/08/2013 at 19:30

Bloody Heck Scott, hope your ok and the wine is soothing your pain! 

18/08/2013 at 19:36

Thanks susannah  will need to take a few days off exercise I reckon , then get back on track for the cumbrae 10 mile 

on the plus side it'll give me time to organise a BBQ for 27 people next week for my daughters birthday , gazebo , food drink , garden decorations and a car to be sorted 

emmy + weedy - well done on the runs this morning 

TheEngineer    pirate
18/08/2013 at 20:14

Scott... maybe you'd have been better walking!

Hope you're recovering.

18/08/2013 at 20:16

Well done Emmy and Weedy!  

Scott - near miss there - hope you get better soon

18/08/2013 at 20:41

Winne helpen fe feeling moch better noo 

Randon question !!why do you always fall running downhil , but rarely uphill , or is it just me 

engineer - will slow down to walking pace again , I'm not designed to run  

18/08/2013 at 20:47

dannir - I gave the cyclist my patented " twenty yard death stare " he will get a puncture in the next three years , the voices in my head told me 

the car - well it happens , but I got lucky 

18/08/2013 at 21:06

Scott - that's what karma does to you when you think there's a better offer than the bcrc! But OUCH! Sounds like a shocker!

18/08/2013 at 21:37

DLR - Clean?  Don't be bloody ridiculous.

Scott - I'm wiping away tears of mirth here....

18/08/2013 at 21:39

I may have giggled too...

18/08/2013 at 21:44

thanks for the tea ,sympathy and shit girls

18/08/2013 at 21:46

Dat's why you love us innit....

18/08/2013 at 22:08

You could have had muffins too.

18/08/2013 at 22:36

oh god .... if only i had a dishwasher .....

Edited: 18/08/2013 at 22:37
18/08/2013 at 23:32

Hi .. anyone know the date entries open for Paris? (hands up everyone!) Website doesn't say and Internet search seems to come up with vague "mid-September"

18/08/2013 at 23:40

Registrations open up 16th Sept.

641 to 660 of 10,096 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.