Paris Marathon 2014

Non, je ne regrette rien

781 to 800 of 9,540 messages
22/08/2013 at 12:01

Dannirr - wonderful news and i'm so happy to hear it. I was also thinking about him earlier this week.

22/08/2013 at 12:36

That's fantastic to hear Danni

22/08/2013 at 13:43

+1 for Adam's progress 

22/08/2013 at 13:49

good news Danni

in another news i am tired and bored with training .... i did my interval training today which was a chore on the slippery outer circle of Regents Park. The session went well although my calf/achilles area started to feel heavy at the end so i'm taking it easy for a few days.

Well done to everyone who is getting out there and slogging it out.

22/08/2013 at 13:52

Glad to hear Adam's recovery is progressing well Dannir.

I beasted myself at lunchtime with the first proper Tempo run I've done in ages. Am just a bit fed up of taking things gently with running, first from the op on my knee last year meaning no heavy racing this year, then my hamstring tendon tearing a few months back and the pain/ stiffness I've put up with since.

Anyway, I judged it was OK to go up to tempo pace today, so did 12kms with 8k / 5 miles at tempo. HR averaged around 92% of MHR and I feel a proper 'lung stretch' now. Nice feeling. Nothing feels particularly sore in my legs although I had a proper cold shower after the run, including cooling my legs off.

I'm feeling better prepared to race against M_Maus over HM distance this weekend. Should be a close one.

22/08/2013 at 13:57

Thanks all.

Jimbob - not surprising with the intensity of training you have been doing for quite some time now, and with diminishing returns as you reach your genetic potential. But look back at how far you have come, and how much you have helped and inspired all of us to keep at it. Take a bit of a break after the next big race and enjoy your magnificent achievements.

22/08/2013 at 14:05

Dannirr--Good news!

TD--  Good run!

Jimbob--Sounds like you've done a lot lately. Don't let yourself burn out

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on my race quandary.  Im going to run a few miles prior to the start and then run the 14k.  as the race is sponsored by a brewery, missing the after party would be unfortunate.

Still haven't decided if Im going to run the RPHM for a PB or just enjoy the scenery.  I guess I will have to see how training goes.  Heading out for a little speedwork in a few minutes.

22/08/2013 at 14:23

its better to burn out, than to fade away ...... (ok name that film geeks and no googling)

The training has been very disciplined. I don't overdo it on the mileage but i'm due a break! Basically had a 22 week training plan, then Paris Marathon, then 16 days of no running, then a two weeks of getting back into it/mellow running, then started a 21 week training plan for Berlin that i'm 16 weeks into! Some time ago a certain person by the name of Tricky Dicky said that running two marathons 6 months apart can be tough trainingwise. I'm starting to get his point. I know you have all the crazy people doing a marathon a week, but a fully commited training program, followed by a marathon at full pelt, followed by a short break, followed by another fully commited training program, followed by another marathon at full pelt is bloody difficult.

Will i do a marathon next Autumn? probably! but that will be 4 on the trot! Might have to review my training plans for 2014

22/08/2013 at 14:31

Great news about Adam! 

TD - amazing running as always! 

TJB - You've achieved so much over the last year its no wonder your getting fed up. A few days easy and I am sure you will be raring to go, and your dedication will pay off in Berlin! Make sure you take  a proper break after that!!

I did a tempo run today too, but I cheated and did mine on the treadmill 10k with 8 @ a horrible pace(for me!!). The last km was pure agony, but I finished! 

22/08/2013 at 15:41
The Jimbob wrote (see)

i know you have all the crazy people doing a marathon a week, but a fully commited training program, followed by a marathon at full pelt, followed by a short break, followed by another fully commited training program, followed by another marathon at full pelt is bloody difficult.

I'll remain quiet...

22/08/2013 at 15:42

Dannirr, that's great news about Adam, he seems to be doing really well.

Some great running out there, fast and furious.  I went for a gentle plod along the river Oise today, 21.61k on a mix of cycle track, paths and through villages.  Auvers-sur-Oise is lovely, it is where Vincent Van Gogh lived and is buried.  There are some beautiful/unusual houses along the route, one being the Tunisian Consulate and some are built into the cliff (ATM might be interested!).  Several times I came across replicas of Impressionist paintings at the spot where they were done.  All very pleasant but too hot, it was about 27°c.  Def having a beer tonight  

22/08/2013 at 16:14
Emmy H wrote (see)
The Jimbob wrote (see)

i know you have all the crazy people doing a marathon a week, but a fully commited training program, followed by a marathon at full pelt, followed by a short break, followed by another fully commited training program, followed by another marathon at full pelt is bloody difficult.

I'll remain quiet...

that weren't a swipe at you Ems - i find what i do bloody hard - i can't even comprehend what you guys do. It freaks me out - they'd be picking me up off the street. Just my regimented training does my head in (and body) - like today, was a chore, didn't want to go but i'm determinded to see it through .....

22/08/2013 at 16:27

Jimbobby - I thoroughly recommend after Berlin mara, that you take 4 weeks where you only allow yourself one recovery run a week but you can do as much hard or easy cycling as you want (to maintain cardiovascular fitness). I bet that as you approach November, your enthusiasm and joy from running will come right back.

But it serves another purpose too - relentless pounding of muscles and joints takes its toll. A month away from running willk allow all those micro injuries and strains to heal and recover. On a neurological level, your lack of pleasure from running right now may well be in part due to your body's awareness of its need for repair, which you are not conscious of.

So just how fast are you these days Kaz? My 8K tempo was in 33:47. I reckon you wouldn't be a million miles behind that. It's hard to believe I ran a treaddie 10K last year under 36 mins although that could well be because I had a fan placed behind me

TP - are you suggesting that Vincent Van Gogh was buried alive?!? That's a terrible way to go or I just have a perversely literal mind.

22/08/2013 at 16:43

TD - ha no he shot himself in the chest and died the next day.  After walking back home.  He probably would have been good at marathons with that attitude.

22/08/2013 at 17:33
The Jimbob wrote (see)
Emmy H wrote (see)
The Jimbob wrote (see)

I'll remain quiet...

that weren't a swipe at you Ems - i find what i do bloody hard - i can't even comprehend what you guys do. It freaks me out - they'd be picking me up off the street. Just my regimented training does my head in (and body) - like today, was a chore, didn't want to go but i'm determinded to see it through .....

Jimbob - it's a different sort of hard. Whilst it's a struggle for you to keep up the training and the schedule week after week - it's hard to keep doing marathons when maybe you're not fully recovered or the time it takes out of your life. Both the training that you're doing and the marathons that i'm running take their strains. Just in different ways.

I agree with TD - take a good month off and rest after Berlin. It wont harm your training for Paris as you'll have the strong residual base.

22/08/2013 at 17:35

Great news Dannirr.

TJB - I did 4 on true trot  and am really enjoying an Autumn off. I'm still running, but just and when I feel like it.

Had a brilliant day yesterdaand it it was very emotional to see my eldest son tying the knot. Where have the yars gone??

22/08/2013 at 17:49

Danni - fantastic news!

22/08/2013 at 17:52

Not fast at all TD...... Very slow in comparison to everyone else. 

22/08/2013 at 18:19

Yeah, hear what u guys are saying about the month off, will probably do that after Valencia, bleedin Valencia! Didn't think that thru, anyway 2 weeks off after Berlin, then taking it easy with no time goal! Roll on taper phase .......

TheEngineer    pirate
22/08/2013 at 22:33
The Jimbob wrote (see)

its better to burn out, than to fade away ...... (ok name that film geeks and no googling)

The training has been very disciplined. I don't overdo it on the mileage but i'm due a break! Basically had a 22 week training plan, then Paris Marathon, then 16 days of no running, then a two weeks of getting back into it/mellow running, then started a 21 week training plan for Berlin that i'm 16 weeks into! Some time ago a certain person by the name of Tricky Dicky said that running two marathons 6 months apart can be tough trainingwise. I'm starting to get his point. I know you have all the crazy people doing a marathon a week, but a fully commited training program, followed by a marathon at full pelt, followed by a short break, followed by another fully commited training program, followed by another marathon at full pelt is bloody difficult.

Will i do a marathon next Autumn? probably! but that will be 4 on the trot! Might have to review my training plans for 2014

As Tiddy said, down time is really important. I've got one more race this year (I've swapped Florence Marathon for another Half Ironman in Lanzarote) and I'm struggling to get there. With a build up for May, bridging that to July (accident notwithstanding) and now building to October I can sympathise. After October I have a race in November (Winter Ballbuster) but I can't face building to that as well - so that will have to be a turn-up-and-see-what-happens! A month off, plenty of easy time pootling and abstaining if I don't fancy it, and recharge those batteries!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.