Paris Marathon 2014

Non, je ne regrette rien

10,081 to 10,096 of 10,096 messages
07/05/2014 at 11:18

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm enjoying mulling them over, especially where they involve food and drink Mr BM currently checking out getting a coach to Fort William and then the West Highland Line train onwards. This looks good too but maybe much less flexible? and I now want a pint at The Drovers

07/05/2014 at 12:36

Comrie..... I must really go visit Alan's Parents. I think the last time I was there was the year he came to Paris!  Strathearn Marathon anyone??

BM - Harry Potter train??

07/05/2014 at 13:02

Scott - yes I could have hung on longer but it would hve involved paying almost 33% more for the pleasure. I'm not going to fire up a future discounting model to know that it's worth paying now rather than in 4 months time

;-)

Am I the only one to think that because ASO have shifted forward applications for next year's marathon, that we also ought to roll forward the launch of the Paris Marathon 2015 thread, so that newcomers quickly find us?

07/05/2014 at 13:42

Kaz, Yes, but I think that the Harry Potter bit is from Fort William to Mallaig. Still looks an amazing train ride though. I think we are looking at driving down the Great Glen, maybe going up some of Ben Nevis if the weather is good, dumping the car in FW and taking that train on to Glasgow. Cairngorms will have to wait for another time (spellchecker wants to change it to rainstorms).

We may change our minds loads between now and then - its just nice to plan ahead and to have Mr BM being enthusiastic

07/05/2014 at 14:39

Entered last night. Gulp.

Plan is to go with the family, and have been looking at apartments near Arc de Triomph. Do people usually book them up this early? Any other hotel recommendations for a family of three? Also - would prefer to get train really, but living in Manchester I guess flying is cheaper/faster.

07/05/2014 at 16:07

15West - It's early to book accommodation, but possibly with these earlier places being sold it might be worth checking out what's available around the Arc.

07/05/2014 at 16:35

BM - yes we did that train from FW to Mallaig a few years ago..... Really nice scenic route which was just as well as the train broke down! Its nice to make plans. We are driving down either Fri evening or Sat morning (depending on who's going) then back Monday afternoon for evening ferry. My sister stays in Inverness somewhere so even of its only me and kids I am good for babysitter on Sunday!

07/05/2014 at 18:07

Sunday night celebratory drinks then!

07/05/2014 at 19:04

Tricky, I'm with you may be easier to start the 2015 thread sooner rather than later.

Just booked my accommodation, and my time off from work, I'm going for 5 days next year so I get to spend some time in Paris before the run. Already looking forward to cocorrans with Emmy, my drinking buddy.

08/05/2014 at 08:01

Well, it's all a bit quiet in here for the moment, so I took the time to set up the new Paris Maraton 2015 thread. Link here. It's been fun, it's been a blast. Thank you very much everyone. Let's turn the lights off here now and see you over in the new thread.

Dark Vader    pirate
08/05/2014 at 08:02
Dannirr wrote (see)

RR - that's exactly what I'm taking along.  I plan on using about one an hour (which is less than their prescribed dosage).  Interestingly, an article int he latest UltraRunning magazine says electrolyte replacement in events under 12 hrs is not necessary.

The duration isn't the issue.   The issue is that it will be hot and you will use and lose a lot of fluids.  Just drinking water won't help.

I've done some very long runs in very hot weather and my advice to you is to include electrolyte replacement in your strategy.   

08/05/2014 at 08:03

Go for it. We've reached 10,000 posts. My runners ocd is satisfied. Don't forget to turn out the lights and redirect.

08/05/2014 at 08:53
I haven't finished reading this one.... can i stay a little bit longer ?
08/05/2014 at 19:07
I have been giving the cadence thing a serious go on my past 3 runs.The 1st couple of runs it felt strange but today it felt more natural and also feels great on the knees,tho I've only been doing short 3 mile runs every 2 days as I'm concentrating on strengthening my core and legs at the moment.

It's funny that the talk the past 2 days has been about north of scotland.I just got told today that I'm working in Arisaig and staying in Fort william for a couple of weeks starting on Monday.
08/05/2014 at 20:06

Hope you get better weather in Fort William next week JokeyBhoy. Boyfriend been there for past week at Scottish Six Day Trials, amd as normal it has rained most of the time! 

New thread BTW! 

08/05/2014 at 20:52

THREAD CLOSED!!!  2015 thread here

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10,081 to 10,096 of 10,096 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.