Paris Marathon 2014

Non, je ne regrette rien

1,181 to 1,200 of 10,096 messages
03/09/2013 at 22:40

TD - I don't think there is any point, or success, to putting on weight.  You are genetically thin. What would putting on weight achieve?  There is a great danger to very thin people, who in an attempt to put on weight eat a lot of "wrong" foods as they are more "fattening", and do not put on weight but they do create the same problems within their coronary arteries as everyone else.  Unless you are unwell, there is likely nothing wrong with you.  At least physically

03/09/2013 at 22:52

Would you like me to issue some sort of certificate, Dr Dannirr? The UN can do those kind of things...

04/09/2013 at 06:34
Dannirr wrote (see)

TD - I don't think there is any point, or success, to putting on weight.  You are genetically thin. What would putting on weight achieve?  There is a great danger to very thin people, who in an attempt to put on weight eat a lot of "wrong" foods as they are more "fattening", and do not put on weight but they do create the same problems within their coronary arteries as everyone else.  Unless you are unwell, there is likely nothing wrong with you.  At least physically

Hi Dannirr - just to be clear on the subject, I'm not worried. Am just curious why my weight has dipped to an unusually low level and seems to be staying there. It doesn't correlate with my usual experience. I've never tried to manage my weight - it just is what it is. But I am incredibly lean, with body fat often below 7% these days. Muscles are popping up all over the place but I look like I am wearing borrowed clothes. Swings and roundabouts. I'm not going to change my diet particularly but am making a bit of an effort to eat a little bit more.

Wishing you all a fabulous day - expecting 28C here in Brussels and 31 tmrw

04/09/2013 at 06:45

Holy Moly thats hot TD........we are averaging 17C now and very hummid. Never noticed this before but its awful! 

TheEngineer    pirate
04/09/2013 at 07:49
Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
Dannirr wrote (see)

Hi Dannirr - just to be clear on the subject, I'm not worried. Am just curious why my weight has dipped to an unusually low level and seems to be staying there. It doesn't correlate with my usual experience. I've never tried to manage my weight - it just is what it is. But I am incredibly lean, with body fat often below 7% these days. Muscles are popping up all over the place but I look like I am wearing borrowed clothes. Swings and roundabouts. I'm not going to change my diet particularly but am making a bit of an effort to eat a little bit more.

Wishing you all a fabulous day - expecting 28C here in Brussels and 31 tmrw

You've not been involved in the detonation of an experimental gamma bomb, by any chance?

Dark Vader    pirate
04/09/2013 at 07:49

Run Across East Sussex is on for Sunday.   Mrs DV will drop me off at Burgess Hill and I'll run across to Rye.   This will be about 45 - 49 miles depending on which route I take.  I'll probably start about 8am and it'll take as long as it takes.  No rush.  I just want to get back out there and enjoy running again.

Anyone in the area who would like to join me for a run or for a coffee/cake along the way will be very welcome.

TheEngineer    pirate
04/09/2013 at 08:09
Dark Vader wrote (see)

Run Across East Sussex is on for Sunday.   Mrs DV will drop me off at Burgess Hill and I'll run across to Rye.   This will be about 45 - 49 miles depending on which route I take.  I'll probably start about 8am and it'll take as long as it takes.  No rush.  I just want to get back out there and enjoy running again.

Anyone in the area who would like to join me for a run or for a coffee/cake along the way will be very welcome.

A while back I'd looked at a few similar jaunts as you can usually use "County Ways" - great idea and I wish you all the best! I'd love to join you for an hour or two but I'm getting a niggle in my hip that I'm doing my best to listen to (despite desperately wanting to keep my resurgence of passion for running alive!).

ATM - The Falkirk Wheel! Did you know that turning the thing uses the same energy as boiling just 8 kettles? Marvellous things, bearings. Well engineered and form that impresses as much as function. We need more stuff like this! 

04/09/2013 at 08:20
Dark Vader wrote (see)

That is such a great clip...   I'd forgotten all about that.

Perfectly normal behaviour....   

You are my forrest gump. You're amazing! Good luck DV!

Weedy - I'll just send it to Jimbob so he can verify it's risqueness

04/09/2013 at 08:52
TheEngineer wrote (see)

You've not been involved in the detonation of an experimental gamma bomb, by any chance?

If he starts turning green it might be time to panic.

ATM
04/09/2013 at 09:09

It's a great idea, DV. Can you take some photos so we get to travel without the faff of actually running?

Bearings! Of course.... It's pretty spectacular...( Let's forget the Tay Bridge...).Don't exclude that run, DV. It's along the canal towpath. The locks at the West are Victorian(?)..hand-cranked. Seeing a boat go through is pretty interesting...errr, You know what I mean.

And we could meet you in the ' sail through' chippy...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PrkwDJGzZuY/TA-ikVI0sfI/AAAAAAAAAws/av8PkS1jEKQ/s200/Fish+%26+chips.jpg

Chips, TD! No?

ATM
Dark Vader    pirate
04/09/2013 at 10:36

Mrs DV and a bunch of her cycling friends will be joining us in Paris to run the race in 2014.  For most of them it will be their first marathon.   I've pointed them in this direction and hopefully they will come and say hello here very soon.

04/09/2013 at 11:26

Quick tidy up, Mrs DV is coming.  What an honour ! Will she me known as Mrs DV or Padmé Amidala ?  It's going to be a tight squeeze if she's bringing her friends, we might have to knock out a few walls.

TD - I think it's too early for questions on HRM, I've only used it a few times.  I did 220-age and use a HR range.  Perhaps in the future I'll calculate the HHR% to be more precise.  My runs are slower at the beginning, I have a more constant pace thus running further.  It's basic but I'm happy.  Any comments are always welcome. You like to push it to 100%, is that for intervals, faster finish ?

JB73 who ?

Edited: 04/09/2013 at 11:27
Dark Vader    pirate
04/09/2013 at 11:32

Although I refer to her here as Mrs DV she actually has had her own forum identity for several years as Classical Diva.   At one time she was one of the pirates and did a few tri-sprints.   She has done a couple of 10k's and a half-mara but that was a few years ago and we'll be going back to basics with her training for Paris.   Although she is new to running, she is a keen cyclist and can knock out 100 miles on the bike without any trouble...  so, I'm hoping that she will be comfortable with marathon training once she gets started.

04/09/2013 at 11:39

Hi all. Some fantastic running going on here. Feeling jealous of the Berlin crew but glad I haven't had to go through mara training recently. 

Signed up for the Powderham 10k this Sunday so might try again at going below 42mins but not sure I have it in me right now. 

Passed the 1000 mile mark this year by the end of August so was really chuffed. 

I'm going to have to wait to see if I'm in London before considering signing up for Paris but it is tempting me with the doors almost open. 

04/09/2013 at 12:25
TrevO wrote (see)

Passed the 1000 mile mark this year by the end of August so was really chuffed. 

Yup, me too.  Happy about that.  Expecting to put  a lot more miles in the 2nd part of the year as I have a few big events coming up.

DV - great new plan for your runs.  If you can carry a small camera, after you have completed all the runs it would make a lovely book, or at least article for the print version of RW.

04/09/2013 at 12:50

There's hope for Paris:

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/your-next-race-might-have-more-porta-potties

04/09/2013 at 13:56

Subject to what my wife says and the medical experts I am going to pencil in the Liverpool Half Marathon in March 2014 as my first race back.

So the plan is, if the CT scan goes well in the middle of October, is to run gently up to christmas and follow a steady 2 hour plan for the half.

A PB will be out of the question. for the moment.

And my heart rate did go up considerably at the site of a tit on page 3.

04/09/2013 at 13:56

Subject to what my wife says and the medical experts I am going to pencil in the Liverpool Half Marathon in March 2014 as my first race back.

So the plan is, if the CT scan goes well in the middle of October, is to run gently up to christmas and follow a steady 2 hour plan for the half.

A PB will be out of the question. for the moment.

And my heart rate did go up considerably at the sight of a tit on page 3.

04/09/2013 at 13:57

ooo posted it twice. One with the spelling error, the other without.

04/09/2013 at 14:18

Good to see you on here jb73. Just remember to take things slowly. 

1,181 to 1,200 of 10,096 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.