Pharmalink Maidenhead Half Marathon

1 to 20 of 53 messages
14/01/2012 at 20:37
This was a great inaugural race in 2011 & perfectly timed between other events. After setting a PB  I was looking forward to reusing my number this year. Sadly the organisers have moved it to 2 weeks later than last year & it now clashes with the Farnham Pilgrims Marathon & Half. I wonder if there is any reason for this change & if it will always clash in future?
13/06/2012 at 18:06
This was my first half. Apart from the mix up at the start was an excellent race. Will enter again this year. Should beat my last time as my latest pb is now eight minutes quicker.
13/06/2012 at 21:47

I'm running it for the first time this year, looking forward to a quick run with any luck.

15/06/2012 at 23:02

Just entered.  Already started serious training by upping my long runs to 18 miles.

16/06/2012 at 14:36

18m Surrey? Is that with a marathon in mind for the future or just halves?

16/06/2012 at 15:28

Not planning on another marathon till next year's London.

I did my current pb while marathon training - Wokingham in Feb - so reckon running significantly over distance will help me improve endurance and maintain speed.  Current HM pb was at 6.25 pace, aim to run Maidenhead at 6.20 pace or better.

01/07/2012 at 08:45
Does anyone know if the course has changed? The start was a massive balls up and running down a set of steps to access a tunnel under the A4 was dangerous in last years wet conditions.

Apologies if ive missed the communications, but I can't find any info on their site or here addressing these issues from last year.
01/07/2012 at 12:57

Johnas how you doing!

ps i have no idea on your question, but thought i'd say hello!

09/07/2012 at 08:28

I'm in. Have had mixed half marathon results in 2012 - Brighton and Paddock Wood were very good - Southend and Milton Keynes not so good. So have 68 days to get things back on track!

Can't skip Sunday long runs and those long runs need to be longer!

Happy training all!

10/07/2012 at 08:45
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Johnas how you doing!

ps i have no idea on your question, but thought i'd say hello!

Alright Stevie... All good here. Training for Berlin well underway. Hows tricks?

So, no-one knows if the course has changed?

16/07/2012 at 07:48
Hi all, the route has changed and the new date was imposed by the Council. We hope to get our second Sunday in September slot back next year.
28/07/2012 at 20:19

Really looking forward to it. I live in Maidenhead and ran it last year. Interested to see how the new course will work out. Currently the Easter 10 is my favourite local race...but you never know.

28/07/2012 at 20:51

Yes, the course has changed.  There is more in the town centre now at the end apparently so they are hoping for more spectator support.  Last year, I had 3 guys run full pelt into me at the start (they were running in the wrong direction!)  Hope they have organised paced starts.  Last year, the 6 m/miler were together with the 12 m/milers. 

Johnas, I see you are running Berlin Marathon 2 weeks later.  Do you think it would be ok to race Maidenhead or just run it at MP?

29/07/2012 at 07:28
Hi Leisa. If I were to do Maidenhead, it'd be a MP paced run - 2 weeks before Berlin is too close for a PB effort.

Still haven't entered Maidenhead. Lack of info on the course has put me off - think I'll just do an MP run instead.

i hope your training is going well?
29/07/2012 at 21:35

Hi Leisa,

Do you have a link to the new course?

Thanks

SR

08/08/2012 at 13:40

Now on the site. It looks different from last year, with 1m or so, then a couple of 5m laps, then home.....

04/09/2012 at 16:41

I'm really disappointed that they've changed it to two laps, instead of one long loop.  I ran it last year and know there were a couple of problems but putting in laps instead of one loop is a shame and makes me less enthusiastic about running it again this year.  Does anyone know if this is what they will stick with in the furture, seems a shame as there are lots of nice routes in Maidenhead without having to go over the same ground twice?  Also they need to change the event page on here as it is misleading.

04/09/2012 at 21:34

Must agree with you Martine, I don't like laps either and would have picked a different race if I'd known

06/09/2012 at 10:34

Although now two laps, apart from about a mile and a half after the start, and half a mile or so before the finish, I think it is still an attractive course, and believe the organisers deserve great credit for addressing the points raised last year. The loop at the start has gone, so faster runners running into those still to start, will not be an issue. The loop at the end, which involved running past the finish, about 500m before the end has also gone. Leisa H, I'm pretty sure that this actually means less in the town centre, not more (I've lived in the area for many years, and know the course quite well) Johnas, The steps under Maidenhead Bridge are no longer on the route, so no longer an issue. From the course map, there are however two subways under the A4 to be negotiated, one after just over 1km, and the second, different one in the last km. While last year's road closures were very well thought out, and seemed to work well, I shouldn't think that closing the A4 was not and isn't an option, so surely, the safest and only way to cross it, is via the subways... But I am one of the slower runners, and don't mind walking up and down the steps, and through the tunnel if neccessary. Looking forward to it, and fingers crossed for perfect weather.

11/09/2012 at 10:12
Really looking forward to this. Apart from a few 5ks will be my first proper race since May. Need to blow away the cobwebs.
1 to 20 of 53 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.