Here but not up yet......http://perfect-timingphotography.com/events.php
xxxpancho    pirate
24/05/2010 at 15:03
Thanks Gatton
xxxpancho    pirate
24/05/2010 at 15:06
How's racing where next ??? Im on the look out for my next race
24/05/2010 at 20:53

still looking for the photos but what the heck!  A great day out despite siezed up thighs after only 4-5 mile training runs and 20+ years since my last 1/2M.  Those Help for Heroes guys were immense !

Really good day !!

25/05/2010 at 08:51
xxxpancho I don't know if you can sign up on the day, but the postponed Dover Half is taking place at Fowlmead Country Park on Monday 31st May. I am doing that, along with one or two others who also did Canterbury.
25/05/2010 at 20:19

I'm tempted withe Dover Half, is it another hilly one?

25/05/2010 at 21:58
The route is a bit different this year because of the postponement but I believe it is a bit hilly.
26/05/2010 at 14:54

well i tried my best to run the big hill and... they let me out of hospital today!!!

26/05/2010 at 15:02
Roderick....was it you who had to be taken off the course by amulance then?? Are u ok??
26/05/2010 at 15:27
Roderick McLachlan wrote (see)

well i tried my best to run the big hill and... they let me out of hospital today!!!

If it was you I ran past laying on the ground, you didn't look too good

Hope you're feeling a lot better now.

26/05/2010 at 16:54
Rod if that was you........................... ...maybe an e-mail to the organisors will make them and us feel alot better knowing you are recovering.
26/05/2010 at 20:53
Yes, have done Mike. I literally got let out of the hospital this afternoon so I've been mailing around various bods.

I was extremely foolish, running way too hard for my fitness in the conditions but mainly for not taking on nearly enough fluids during the race. I was totally, totally, dehydrated and got a bad dose of sun stroke.
I can't remember what actually happened, just remember coming to in the ambulance in a very confused state. I got to A+E and popped on a heart monitor and a drip. They kept me in the hospital so long as they were worried I had damaged my heart or kidneys but thankfully I seem to be ok. I was well looked after throughout.
Doc says I'm not supposed to run for 3 months which I view as suitable punishment for being so foolish. Does mean missing the Northumberland Coastal Run though

Huge thanks to the organisers for having such good marshalls and first aid it could have been a lot worse otherwise.
I am especially grateful to the two runners who came with me in the ambulance. I feel enormously guilty about them having to give up their races for me. I'm afraid I can't remember one of the chaps name, he was sitting at my feet end! If anyone knows who he is could they please let me know so I can get in touch with him to thank him.

Bit wiser for the whole experience. I will be back next year when I will be better prepared and much more sensible.
27/05/2010 at 10:28

Hi Roddy,

Thanks for the email - it is great to know everything has turned out OK - once the ambulance service pass you on to the hospital it is difficult for us to know what the outcome is.

To all.....

We have had a lot of emails after the race praising the marshals and drink stations staff - thanks for that - I have passed them on to the people concerned as it does make a difference to those who have given up their day to help.

If you had traouble getting online yesterday to see the photo's my brother apologises as the volume of traffic after my email exceeded the website bandwidth - you should be OK to view the pics now.

28/05/2010 at 07:54
Glad to hear you're ok, Rod - was that you sat down with a drink at the top of the hill on the way back? I guess that finished you off, eh?!
28/05/2010 at 08:19

could have been!  I can't remember!

30/05/2010 at 19:00

Worst time ever for me.  Focussed more on finishing and surviving than posting a decent time.  Despite this, very enjoyable (looking back of course - different at the time).

Organisation, marshalls and whole package very good indeed.  Thanks especially to the marshalls, they had to stand the heat too and were consistently supportive and encouraging.  Plenty of water and drinks stations very well placed and manned.  Thanks again. 

Only down side for me was runners disregard for how they disposed of water bottles and tops.  Can't we be more thoughtful about this? I worry about criticism that could be heading our way on this.  As for the runner in front of me coming down the hill shortly after the first drinks station who disgarded his bottle by throwing it high and to his left so it soared up and into the high lane-side hedge where it lodged - I'd like to force him headfirst into the hedge to go and get it.    

31/05/2010 at 15:47
Hear hear, we do need to respect our surroundings and the feelings of those whose villages we are running through, many of whom come out to support us. I always check out where other runners are and try to make sure I find the side of the road with my bottle or cup. Top marks for lunacy must go to the organisers of the London Marathon one year who thought it was a good idea to hand out slices of orange. By the time I got there the road was like a skidpan. 
31/05/2010 at 16:34
Agree about the water bottle spead, I tried to dump each one at the next station, perhaps we could have big bins to aim for !

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 58 of 58 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.