Portsmouth Coastal Marathon 2012

21 to 40 of 94 messages
04/10/2012 at 14:32

Can't remember how cold, I wore legings, long sleeve top and running vest, and gloves. It's a cold time of year to be outside at all! I remember dumping my gloves with my girlfriend half way around and regretting it a few miles down the road!

05/10/2012 at 07:51

mmmmm- i'll probably go with the multi-layer option.I'll be plodding slowly so I'll probably need hi-viz stuff too!!

08/10/2012 at 22:57

Nidgey, how did you do in your half? I'm having the same dilemma as you. I was not pleased with my Edinburgh time - was hoping for near 4.45 and was nearer 5.30 - I would like to improve on it before 2012 is over. I'm not worried about the terrain, but there does look to be a few short sharp climbs on it http://connect.garmin.com/activity/127166182. Would those who've run it agree (bearing in mind my experience is Edinburgh!) or does it not feel too hilly actually?

15/10/2012 at 14:23

This was my first marathon last year, I have since completed a marathon a month and will end up doing this one again on the 23rd. This is flat course but open to the elements with some trail running and a couple of beaches thrown in for good measure. There is a lot of support along the promenade at the begining and then when you reach Hayling Island and at the end of the Billy Line. Being so close to Christmas I am sure there will be festive cheer everywhere. Its a going to be chilly, but leggings and long sleeve Under Armour or the like should suffice. I often run this route as part of my training and never get bored. Keep an eye out for the tape markers and you shouldnt go far wrong. Was voted in runners worlds top ten, definately concur. 

16/10/2012 at 23:57
I'm in and looking forward to it! Having just sat out the Liverpool marathon due to injury I'm really hoping to recover properly and be fit in time for a pre Christmas run. For those of you still considering whether to enter...Get your name down!!!
24/10/2012 at 23:37

I'm in. 

Looks like it'll sell out as only 170 places left.

26/10/2012 at 16:11

I'm in. I'm looking forward to it, it will be my 14th marathon of 2012.

26/10/2012 at 20:31

SSQ, me too, hopefully will meet you at this one.

26/10/2012 at 20:38

defo.  Is anyone else running Portsmouth as their 12in12in2012?

31/10/2012 at 00:39

although was tempted to run it SSQ but i'm not going to, i'm going to come along and support all you 12 in 12'ers ( dont want to steal your thunder ) and hopefully we can  celebrate your epic year of running so many marathons 

I'll be happy to shout for others on here, hopefully nearer the time we can perhaps arrange to have a meet up before the race and if people give me race numbers with their names i'll shout you on the way round, need a few people to hollow at to take my mind of not running it 

02/11/2012 at 09:50

@3medals - That's great your coming along.  I might be in fancy dress.

02/11/2012 at 10:00

Fancy dress - now there's a thought...........

02/11/2012 at 12:06

Yep, not sure whether I should go for organge or B/W prison clothing

02/11/2012 at 12:41

I'm in.  Not going for the fancy dress lark  but may wear a santa hat only to keep myhead warm

thedrainman    pirate
03/11/2012 at 21:17
Did this last year, will be doing again this year, was my first Marathon and did 5h 28m enjoyed every minute
07/11/2012 at 07:53

SSQ - Orange - definitely!!

I'll go for the Polar Bear look - might keep me warmer!!

07/11/2012 at 07:53

drainman - that's my sort of pace - did you get your feet wet at all?

09/11/2012 at 11:03

Just entered this as my second marathon. My first was Edinburgh this year (like several others it seems) and I don't think they could be more different. Edinburgh was stinking hot and a lot of people suffered. I managed 3h41m which was 1m off what I was aiming for but still felt like I ran badly - ie a massive positive split. I'm guessing Portsmouth will be a bit colder. If we're lucky and the weather isn't terrible then I'm hoping to do a 3h20 but after reading the comments about the terrain I'm not sure if this will be realistic.

Still I'm sure it'll be fun!

15/11/2012 at 17:27

Hi all,

After the cancellation of the NYC marathon earlier this month, i'll be running the Portsmouth coastal for my charity instead... I was doing some hill training for the bridges in NYC -- any tips on how to get in a bit of extra training for the terrain of this one would be much appreciated! I am aiming for a sub-5hr, as I ran Berlin in 5hr00m27s -- is it realistic on this course? I didn't have a very good strategy in Berlin and went far too fast...

The 12 marathons in 12 month gang sound awesome -- which ones do you do?

21/11/2012 at 08:14

I'm in! Can't wait, am two into a plan of 12 in 12 months, having previously managed 2-3 per year. 

Didn't spot the exact location of the start on the website? Also if anyone knows of a decent B&B / Hotel for the night before that is reasonably priced and close it would be much appreciated. I enjoyed the A20 Path N' Dowbns recently but, having stayed in a big well known type of Lodge was kept awake by the local party goers the night before. I'd like to sleep!!

PS, how do I change from my name above to nickname?     

21 to 40 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.