Portsmouth Coastal Marathon 2012

81 to 94 of 94 messages
20/12/2012 at 17:14

NicelronDad-  It's Christmas so i'm sure no one will mind. Go for it.

20/12/2012 at 17:23

Hey Waccy, I was being entirely selfish, and had not even considered the chance others may object! Next you'll be suggesting I tone down the en route Christmas Carol renditions

(....just getting in to the spirit, and really quite looking forward to this one!)

20/12/2012 at 17:27

Anyone have an idea what conditions are like on the ground? I noticed a news story on the bbc about a village - Wallington - on the otherside of portsmouth harbour that has been evacuated because of potential flooding! The forecast isn't looking great either.

I bought a pair of sealskinz waterproof socks (£20!!!) yesterday as I was freaking out how wet it's going to be. I don't fancy the idea of 26 miles with wet feet - hope they work. Anyway whatever it's like I'm just going to do my best to grit my teeth, have fun, and not worry if I don't make my 3h20m pb target time on this one.

20/12/2012 at 18:22

Sounds like I'll be running next to you ro616 (3:23, but anything under 3:30 is happy). I hear the ground is wet with large puddles but only muddy in sections. It's not going to flood because it's next to the sea! Unless you run really slowly and the tide has come in.

Body Glide FTW.

20/12/2012 at 18:26

Sorry NiceIronDad i just assumed you'd meant the other runners. 

I would never try to stop a fellow runner from singing when they run. In fact i am highly in favour of it.   

21/12/2012 at 06:18

Just seen the forecast.

Lashing down with high winds.

Can't wait

21/12/2012 at 08:29

Use accuweather: http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/portsmouth/po1-1/weekend-weather/330359 That says "a couple of showers". I'm definitely going with that one 8-13° too, so around 9° at the start which is warmer than last weekend down here. It even has a picture with the sun on.

Edited: 21/12/2012 at 08:31
21/12/2012 at 20:23

All the best 2wheels. Make sure you stick to the route near the dual carriageway. Mental fitness needed for the run over the sand/shoreline.

22/12/2012 at 12:15

After the mother of all weeks on the Christmas ale, I'm seriously looking forward to this for a detox!  As far as I'm concerned, the wetter the better for detox purposes!

Good luck all - its a great day to be doing a marathon leading up to the 25th

22/12/2012 at 13:29

Aggghh. Works Christmas party last night and i am hanging...

Perfect mara prep lol

22/12/2012 at 18:24

Just went for a 2m run in similar conditions to tomorrow (same wind, rain and temp) in a Gore vest and shorts and gloves and was plenty warm enough. Will take a light windproof wrapped around me in case the wind gets strong along the coast.

Have fun everyone!

24/12/2012 at 08:27

Congratulations to everyone who finished yesterday!

I had a tough race, messed up badly at the start by going way too fast in the first half getting there in 1h30m then something happened with my knee and I was pretty much in agony for the rest of the race - staggered back very slowly and finished in 3h42m - over 20m slower than my target.

But I have to say although I didn't enjoy that, more-or-less every runner who passed me asked if I was ok or needed help as did many of the supporters - and that made up for my pain and disappointment. 

Overall thought the race was really well organised, the stewards, supporters and fellow runners were great - so thanks to all of them. I would suggest anyone considering doing this race in the future to get some cross-country experience - the mud and puddles make it a very different sort of challenge to a bog-standard road race.

25/12/2012 at 13:43
Fantastic race. Much better than standard road runs and great atmosphere. Big thanks to the organisers. Glad to see not too many DNFs as well. Can anyone clear up where the 'missing' 0.2 miles was? Expecting the finish to be beyond the start it was like Christmas come early when the blue mat came into sight. If only all race organisers would be kind enough to hide a few miles here and there towards the end of long races!!!
29/12/2012 at 10:16

My GPS came back with 26.3 miles.

Great race - really good fun compared to road races once you realised that running in a straight line through puddles on the forefoot was far better than weaving around them.

I couldn't get my heartrate down which was annoying - I ran the first 19 miles at a pace that would have been 150bpm in training but on the day was 160+ However, it didn't rise at all which was good, so with 7 miles to go I got a bit bored of going slowly and sprinted to the finish at 170-175bpm. Apologies to all the people I came piling past in the last 6 miles. Finished in 3:38 - my dry weather road target was 3:23 so considering the conditions, perhaps that 15 mins would have been very close? It was a personal best anyway!

Also, did anyone see Phil Hewitt (author of "Keep On Running") getting round with blood all over his face? You can read about it here: http://marathonaddictuk.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/the-kindness-of-runners/ It was me that distracted him just at the wrong moment! Ooops.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 94 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.