Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

201 to 220 of 565 messages
25/11/2013 at 19:22

Really looking forward to this one! Last 20 miler on sunday, then a cheeky half in bedford the week after. It's going to be a guilt free christmas this year for sure.

26/11/2013 at 09:58

I ran 21.25 miles on Sunday off road, and felt strong, and tempted to go further. I ran the South Downs Marathon in June, and have been consistently averaging 40 miles per week. Last weeks mileage, which included Sundays run was 52, so I am feeling more confident now. Not paying £23 though for the t shirt. The technical t shirt at the Southdown's marathon was included in the entry fee.

26/11/2013 at 12:29

True Miss happy not really done enough to look forward to this one - but it was just really a carrot to keep my training and base level up for london marathon next year.

should be enough to get me round in an acceptable fashion though.

Terrance - I agree the T-shirt is a tad expensive - but then the entrance fee for portsmouth is quite reasonable.

26/11/2013 at 12:45

Hey people,

Well done Terence and Gingermagic; proper mileage!

Did a recovery run this morning on the seafront in Portsmouth. The first 2 and last 2 miles of the course are very straightforward. If the wind is kind (it was today) you can really find your stride before it gets a bit tricky. If there is wind, please let it be against us on the way out, when we're fresher and when there is more chance of hiding behind other runners!

26/11/2013 at 12:56

my home town has a marathon, i never knew about, should i add it to my marathon dream list and return one day to run it....decision decisions. Good luck all.

26/11/2013 at 17:24

Wenty - I must admit my reasoning was much the same, it's not a target race - though that doesn't stop the thought of maybe sneaking a little PB. I really want a marathon time beginning 3.3x.xx - missed it by 18 seconds at VLM this year.

26/11/2013 at 21:07

Just to put you all to shame - I did a whopping total of 9 miles last week.  Yes 9! Combination of a calf and a bug.  Damn animals.  Last of the sniffles is pretty much gone and leg feels OK so will hopefully get out tomorrow night for a few miles and hope to get a long one in on Saturday as have a cycling sportive to do on Sunday.  Crossing the line on 22/12 is now my target rather than any hope for a time.  My family now can't come and cheer me on/carry me back to the car so may need a bit of help afterwards dudes.

27/11/2013 at 13:49

Dean my goaI is the same as yours, just get round!

plan to do a long run sun/mon and then taper, it's coming round so quick!

27/11/2013 at 17:02
Zoe - tell me about it. I was reminded today that my work Christmas do is next week! 22nd will be here before we know it.
28/11/2013 at 08:06

My running is curtailed a bit due to the fact that the kids have the lurgy. If they're better tomorrow I'll do the Hayling Island side of the course. As long as the dry weather holds, that should be fine. My impression is that the no man's land between Portsmouth and Hayling could be the most testing mentally when you're tired and there still is so far left to go.

Another funny thing is that when you're half way it's like you can actually almost 'see' where the finish is, across the bay. But you know it's another 13 Miles....

28/11/2013 at 11:53

Dean - I can beat you - 5 miles this week! I woke up a few days ago with a painful foot. Outside of the sole of the foot. So painful i can barely walk. No idea why and never had it before. Hope this does not drag on for too long. Looks like a week or 2 of rest!

Oh well - looks like just getting round is my goal now!

28/11/2013 at 12:49

Last long run before taper this weekend. Hope everyone's training is going as planned. 

28/11/2013 at 13:53

Wenty - have you frozen a bottle of water to roll it on? Hope it's nothing serious.

Francis - hope the kids don't infect you!

22 miles for me today, last LSR but one, really enjoyed it, helped by the fact that conditions were just about perfect for running.

28/11/2013 at 16:54

Nice one Little M.iss! Commisserations to those who struggle. Got a quick 5M in today in between everything else.

If kids are back in school tomorrow I'll examine the Hayling side of the course...

28/11/2013 at 17:27

Hi,

I'm afraid i can beat a 5 mile week with my zero miles  A lingering lower back issue has resurfaced just when i needed it least.

Hopefully i can run without pain tonight and attempt my last run this weekend.........fingers crossed.

28/11/2013 at 23:37
Sorry to hear other people also have training schedules that are being thrown out the window. I just haven't been able to shake this bug off and feel proper crud. Heading for a zero mileage week. Hope we are all able to get out there soon and get some miles in.
29/11/2013 at 11:35

Miss Happy - good idea re the frozen water bottle - does not seem swollen but i guess there may be small tendon swelling etc. No idea what it is but very painful and cant walk let alone run and no idea what caused it!

Dean - my training schedule has been totally abandoned now!!!!

29/11/2013 at 12:46

bless you Wenty, Dean, and Alun. Hope you'll be able to turn things round soon...

I had a session on the course today. Did a good 15M from the bridge out of Portsmouth (handy parking next to the A2030 turn off) to the end of the Hayling Billy Trial and back.

The course is in very good nick. No puddle dodging required at all.

The bit next to the M27 is uninspiring with the car noise, but look right and you see the Farlington Marshes. It is slightly off flat here, nothing to worry about but not ruler flat. 

Turning right for some trials but the going is still really good. It feels a bit fiddly this bit, with a stretch on a Havant Industrial estate (all very short) and then it gets nicer, back to the waterside and on the trails. It was already quite breezy. It was right in my face on the way back and it makes a difference!.

The pebble stretch is fine, couple of hundred years. It only takes 1m30sec or so. 

You will get blown sideways on the bridge onto Hayling Island and then a few twists and turns lead you to the Hayling Bill Trial, the disused railway. It ran like a dream today, flat, quiet and relatively sheltered with a few exceptions. It's a good stretch. If you're ready for the distance you'll be clocking the Miles away here. 

All in all, it's looking good at the moment.

Hope you all will be able to get some training in - it's 3 weeks and 2 days away...

29/11/2013 at 13:37

Thanks for that update - really helps to have some local info on the course and let's hope the puddles don't accumulate over the next few weeks. Doing my last 22 miler tomorrow and so far so good. Am really looking forward to running the course as it does sound different to the usual road races.  Keep us updated with the state of the course if you can - I may revert to trail shoes on the day if it sounds too muddy/wet.

29/11/2013 at 13:38

I share your pain - my training has been interrupted by illness, holiday, heel pain....hoping to get a solid 20 miles in on Sat which will hopefully make me feel more optimistic about finishing!

Thanks for the update on the course Dutch - it's sounding good!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.