Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

41 to 60 of 565 messages
08/10/2013 at 17:14

I did it in 2011, and it is challenging for two reasons.

1 - as some of the chaps have already said; the variety of surface, wind, and inclines make it a pretty challenging course.

2 - training during December. I found keeping to a plan ahead of Christmas was almost impossible last time. My wafer-thin willpower crumbled time and again, leaving me underprepared and woefully inadequate. I think I finished in 4.35.

I'm toying with the idea of entering again, but there is absolutely no reason why point 2 won't happen again.

08/10/2013 at 20:39

Thanks all - I will refrain from wearing a Southampton FC shirt!!

Having completed Basingstoke Half on Sunday without incident, will definitely enter Portsmouth.  Looking forward to it.

Listening to an excellent programme on Ironman which is on Radio 5 live.  Well worth a listen.

10/10/2013 at 13:38

Ran a slow 15 miles today, very windy! 

My lower back hurt a little? Need to get some more long runs in!

thedrainman    pirate
10/10/2013 at 20:24
Also done Basingstoke half, legs are very tight and looking at getting out again tomorrow for a short 2 mile, Training towards an Ironman next September so Portsmouth gets my running target a few months ahead of where I want to be.
11/10/2013 at 09:45

Am tempted by this marathon - ran the bournemouth marathon last week and I have the a20 path n downs marathon next month. Hmmmmmm decisions...

11/10/2013 at 09:58

drainman - is it Wales you're doing?

Britrisky    pirate
11/10/2013 at 22:44

Im thinking about doing this, too - have to build a week away, I.e. over Crimbo into the bargain, though, as its too far to come otherwise.

How to sell 'Christmas in Portsmouth to OH? Mmmm ....

11/10/2013 at 23:17

Right. I am in.

Bring on a long December.

12/10/2013 at 07:41

Britrisky - we're going Bristol (in-laws) on to Portsmouth, two nights in a Premier Inn (bargain) and back to Bristol for a couple of days over xmas. Pompey is nice for a break (assuming you don't know it) there's a Warner's on Hayling Island, in fact there used to be two, though they would be expensive, a couple of nice boutique hotels or you could always do a ferry trip for a couple of days.

14/10/2013 at 16:15

I'm thinking of doing this as a training run for the Thames Trot in Feb. All depending on if I survive Snowdonia in 2 weeks.

14/10/2013 at 18:05

A good friend of mine has encouraged me to take this on. Having battled through VLM and Robin Hood Marathon on my debut year of marathons, 4:53 and 4:35, i'm determined to hit sub 4.30 before the years out, 

Look forard to see some of you lot there

14/10/2013 at 20:52

Having run this last year, my advice would be (as alluded to above): run fast... or take your swimming gear  The incoming tide will be hurrying you along!

I hadn't expected it to be as multiterrain as it was.

It was nice though to reach the turn-around point and know that you were now heading for home.

15/10/2013 at 06:50

That sounds a little worrying shazza - define 'fast'

15/10/2013 at 17:01

Is the running fast bit where it states if you've not done the half marathon bit at 3 hours you get wet because of the tide?

i ran a very slow 17 miles, my knee is letting me down at the moment 

15/10/2013 at 17:23

Oh dear - time to take a few days off Zoe?

15/10/2013 at 18:34

I am on nights for a few days now, plan a short run on Friday, couple of short runs next week and then have great south run

What plan are you following and how long do you leave between your long runs?

15/10/2013 at 20:49

I make it up as I go along - used to do one long run a week but have been known to do them closer than that, depends how my legs feel, when I get my long bike done and what the weather's like.

16/10/2013 at 04:52

Does anyone know if times acheived would count towrads a race which asks for a qualification time e.g. london? Would times acheived on this course be verified? Please help!

16/10/2013 at 06:52

As it doesn't seem to be affiliated or say on the website that the course is accurately measured by one of the official bodies I would guess not - but an email to Rob the organiser would tell you for sure.

16/10/2013 at 15:55

Thank you. I had already asked Rob who replied that he has been asked before and that the race was chip timed. So he thought the time acheived would count. also, the London Marathon Office told me that as long as the race is accurately measured, it doesnot matter whether a race is on road or trail/MT the time would count. i hope that Portsmouth is accurately measured, Rob assures me it is.

41 to 60 of 565 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.