Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

141 to 160 of 562 messages
11/11/2013 at 08:06

Hello all! This will be my first marathon, and I am equally scared and excited  

Suziewee- was the hilly marathon you missed Broadway by any chance? I just did the half marathon option there and thought it was *incredibly* hard -it literally felt at least twice as hard as a road run, so I am sure you will find Portsmouth a breeze by comparison! 

11/11/2013 at 12:10

Yes Joanne it was Broadway   I did the half last year (the course was slightly different then as it started and finished at the tower)  Well done on completing it, it is a tough but beautiful course.  I bet the underfoot conditions were challenging.

I'm just desperate to feel up to running again so I can get some longer runs in and get my head back to marathon mode!  I'll be sensible and rest up first though.  Best of luck with the rest of your training, you never forget your first marathon!  Well done again on completing Broadway.

12/11/2013 at 07:38

Thanks Suziewee! I don't feel particularly proud of myself for finishing Broadway - I walked a heck of a lot of it, sometimes because the uphills were too steep, sometimes because the downhills were too steep, and sometimes because I just couldn't get my footing - I stupidly did it in road shoes.

Hope you get back to feeling 100% soon so you can jump back into the training. Like you say though, rest up first! I'm just getting into unchartered territory for me now with an 18 miler to do this weekend (will be my longest run so far), but at least it will be relatively flat  

12/11/2013 at 08:48

I did 11 miles in 1 hour 40 minutes on Saturday in the pooring rain and I'm still aching from it!  Ouch!  Keeping everything crossed that it'll be a clear day or maybe at best light drizzle in parts on the 22nd.  Going to have to invest on wet weather running gear just incase because 26.2 miles in rain like it was on saturday would be horrid!

12/11/2013 at 08:55

On a side note for those of you that have run marathon distance before how are your training schedules?  I'm doing a 20 mile run Saturday from my house to my not so local Parkrun, then do the Parkrun and the rest of the miles on treadmill and a 6 mile run Sunday for Bath Skyline.  How many times do you reccomend doing the whole distance or longest possible runs before the event itself or would a few long runs of 10 miles a time do?  Obviously rest up the week before or woud you say two weeks bearing in mind the longer runs?  Can't beleive it's five weeks already :/

12/11/2013 at 13:01

I like to do at least five long runs of 20 miles and will do the last one three weeks out with 14 miles two weeks out.

12/11/2013 at 16:31

Managed to swap my shift today so I can do the marathon 

12/11/2013 at 17:14

Excellent

12/11/2013 at 18:11

Gosport half for me ths weekend then 20/21 miler next weekend, can't believe it's 5 weeks on Sunday!

12/11/2013 at 19:50

It's coming quicker than xmas

13/11/2013 at 07:40

That sounds great Miss Happy thanks, pretty sure I can fit in a few more long runs after this week, even if it means early morning or late evening runs or worse comes to it treadmill miles!

13/11/2013 at 16:33

If you don't have a huge endurance background Ella don't run them too close together. When I first started marathon running I'd probably do 18/20/16/20 rather than 20s on the bounce as I do now. It's important to make sure that you don't injure yourself and that you recover sufficiently from the long runs and are able to do your other sessions.

14/11/2013 at 08:48

That sounds like a good plan, I think if I know I can run 15 miles plus before the big day I know that I can manage a long distance without training like crazy.  It does seem like a crazy amount of miles.  What are your tips nutrition wise, do you eat on the run?

14/11/2013 at 12:40

I think that nutrition is very personal - and needs to be practised. At this time of year I do 20 mile training runs on nothing more than my breakfast and a drink of water before I go out though I usually carry £1 and a gel in case I bonk badly. In a race I use High 5 gels but not the ones with caffeine as they give me cramp.

14/11/2013 at 19:15

Portsmouth is now sold out! 

17/11/2013 at 12:40

21 miles run - trying to get them in before the forecast cold weather descends on us.

17/11/2013 at 13:04

I did gosport half today and took over 6 minutes off my time! 

Long run next week

17/11/2013 at 15:46

Well done Zoe!

17/11/2013 at 21:26
We'll done @ Gosport Zoe. I took a minute off last years time but was suffering with mega sore calf and now have a big blister to contend with. Email today telling us we are 5 weeks away was not helpful. Need to get busy on the foam roller and aim for a 20 miler next week. Whose idea was this?
18/11/2013 at 10:10

Argh - I've just enetered Portsmouth marathon!!!! what have I done!!!!

entered the waiting list and they called my bluff and got a call up........

Too late to get a training plan together, so i think i will go straight to the tapering stage.

141 to 160 of 562 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.