Preston Guild 5K

Guild series pt 1 !

1 to 20 of 28 messages
20/03/2012 at 12:01

Anyone else aiming to do the whole series?

I`ve never done a 5k before but I`m planning to get over to Lancs to do the first part of the 4 races. I`ve seen a map of the course but I don`t know the area really. Is it pretty quick?

Looking forward more to the 10 miler and (hopefully) the marathon.

20/03/2012 at 16:25

I am going to do marathon and usually do Preston 10 mile and Run Preston 10k anyway, so am tempted.

Haven't done the 5k race before but have had a look at the map. The course is net downhill so should be quick! There is a short steep climb to bridge to cross over river and another to get from tram path onto other track back into Preston. Looks a good course.

22/03/2012 at 08:43
I was thinking about doing this and the maybe the half or full marathon (undecided yet), as I have previously done the Run Preston 10km I had to say it was my least favourite race I have ever done. But this year I am going to do the four race series, I'll just grin and bare it for the 10km for another 20 years.
22/03/2012 at 08:50
I have just looked at the map on the Red Rose Runners website, It's fairly flat with the only up hill part being about 3 and half km in other than the one which goes up to bridge that crosses the river. Should be a good run if the sunshine continues
22/03/2012 at 19:55
Thanks Chris. Why`s the 10k so bad?
23/03/2012 at 07:39

I think it was more my expectations more than anything else. I was looking forward to it so much which is only a bad thing. I did it in 2007 so things may have changed or improved.

However, although the 5km route is part of the 10 km, it is the best part. Where the start of the 5km is the bottom of a very steep hill which is the entrance to Avenham Park, once you get over that then there is another incline up Winckley Square. Also there was multiple laps (I think 3 which I hate) around the market.

If you are also one for souviners the T-shirt faded after a wash the medal wasn't up to anything. The photographer was at the top of the market looking down on the finishing, which made it look like it was a sniper taking the photo and you couldn't see yourself unless you wore something unusual. I may be being harsh as after running the Middlesborough 10km and I was comparing to it to that.

27/03/2012 at 23:33
Just looking at the map, do we go up the Avenham Park hill that goes up to Winckley square then turn right along the top before coming back on yourself and then down the otherside of the Japanese gardens?
28/03/2012 at 16:03
I`ll enter this over the weekend hopefully. Maybe the OH will do it too.
29/03/2012 at 12:36
I think where your talking about Ashley is the start point, and it looks like you run away from that point.
09/04/2012 at 21:06
I have run what seems to be the route and it comes up short at 4.5km
10/04/2012 at 09:44
10/04/2012 at 10:16
I am entered for all the Series. The 5k is a nice course and is quite quick, but it will depend on numbers if it attracts a large number of people (due to it being part of the series) it could get busy on route
14/04/2012 at 08:15

Please let me reassure everyone that the courses for the Guild Series races are accurately measured and certyified as accurate: I finished measuring the marathon and half yesterday and just have all thedocuments to produce now. Should all be done witin the next week

Guild 5K on May 7th

Run Preston 5K (different course to the Guild 5K)

Run Preston 10K

Guild Marathon (well, it's measured and it will be certified by the end of next week)

Guild Half Marathon (as with the marathon)

Preston 10 mile road race.

Heres the map of thhe May 5K Start in the park, run up towards the steep hill, bear right and do an anticlockwise loop before ruturning and hitting the flat, fast parts of the rout.

And Chris, to clarify, you are right. You run away from the start You'll be ruuning towards the finish (I know what you meant but the way it was worded made me smile )

Hope this helps everyone

14/04/2012 at 09:48
Entered last night!
14/04/2012 at 19:08
Hello Brian, just to clarify, we start around the bridge that seperates the two parks? I've been thinking it stated close to the riverside cafe and then we run up the hill before bearing right. Thanks for your help.
18/04/2012 at 14:25
And to clarify is the finish line in the river?
18/04/2012 at 14:56
Looks like it is on the bridge to me but river sounds more fun!
24/04/2012 at 12:44
Anyone had their numbers yet? Or is it collect on the day?
24/04/2012 at 16:08

ET

Number and chip collection on the day. Get there early.

Yes I did say chip!!!

Keith

24/04/2012 at 19:59

Thanks Keith! You doing it?

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.