Preston Guild Marathon

anyone tempted?

201 to 220 of 856 messages
05/05/2012 at 16:09
Is the mara full? If not how many places are there and how many entries have there been? I'm interested in the full, but def on plan on doing half to do the series! But was wondering how far out i'd need to enter?
06/05/2012 at 15:50

I entered on-line yesterday at http://www.ukresults.net/12oct.html 

you could also look here http://www.prestonguild2012.com/?OBH=870

07/05/2012 at 12:09

does anyone know if the race is chip timed and will there be any pacers?

08/05/2012 at 12:52

The race will be chip timed but the organisers have not decided by which company yet. Not sure about pacers though.

08/05/2012 at 12:57

Cheers ukresultsman!

Edited: 08/05/2012 at 12:58
12/05/2012 at 09:25
I entered this yesterday, so still open for entries! Really looking forward to it. Love that word 'undlating', peoples' definition varies, ha! Whatever, bring it on!
12/05/2012 at 09:25
Sorry, 'undulating' !!
12/05/2012 at 12:41
Me too finally got off my backside now i need to get out running!
12/05/2012 at 23:10
I've just given up my entry for the Snowdonia marathon to do this. If you want an extreme version of 'undulating' check out their website (2,500ft of ascent!) - but a must do if you ever get the chance. Couldn't miss this one though. Goes within a few hundred yards of my Mum's house in Penwortham!
13/05/2012 at 17:44
A bit of a shame to see quite a few negative comments on this forum. Not a great way to persuade non Prestonians to join up!
13/05/2012 at 21:02

Sean Gavin 2  I suppose I have to hold my hand up there, and admit that that's largely my fault from way back in Jan when I specifically joined on here to find out what the Guild course was going to be for us. Apologies for that.

However, I doubt that non Prestonians on here will even understand what a "Guild" means so most of what I've said will hopefully go over their heads. You see, to Prestonians, a Guild Year is something we've all grown up with every 20 years. It's a festival, a certain spirit of belonging, of community, and as a Prestonian born and bred myself, for some unknown reason I fully expected that to be brought out in our Guild Marathon event.

Non Prestonians won't understand what it would mean to them to run along New Hall Lane, where we as kids actually participated in processions way back in '72. Just like they wouldn't know what it would mean to run along our main streets like London Road, or Blackpool Road, or Garstang Road, or wherever. In fact, I doubt many would even know the names of Preston's main roads, so again, most likely what I said went over their heads, simply because the Guild's traditions are not something they've had in there lives.

Make no mistake though. There's not been any blame laid anywhere here. It's just been my sheer shock and surprise that this Guild Marathon has absolutely nothing to do with a Guild, and is just in fact an ordinary marathon, but then non Prestonian runners coming from outside of Preston will have seen it that way from the very outset anyway, for the reasons mentioned above, so nothing in fact has been lost at all.

If anything, any non Prestonians reading earlier posts may get to realise that the experience on the day will be different for actual Prestonians than it will be for them. 

I'm sure it will be a great one day in 20 years anyway, and many will love it. We've all just got to accept what's been managed for us (both Prestonian's and non Prestonians) and mentally prepare ourselves now for a rolling first 8 and last 4, with a flat to gently undulating middle 14 out on lonely countryside roads, and be truly thankful we've actually got a marathon in Preston at all, Guild year or not Guild year.

Yes, it's a massive 'once in 20 years' rare opportunity missed, but that's all water under the bridge now. No more can be done, and no more negativity has been said about the course for the past 4 weeks. It's been positivity all the way since mid-April. ...Bring on the 'Preston Marathon'.

vw1
14/05/2012 at 08:34

I have been running the countryside section for the last couple of years as it is  my training route. It is reasonably flat and pleasant run and I can't wait to run the marathon on it. Sign up everyone it will be a great run.

14/05/2012 at 11:32

Why does it say` full` on the top of the page?

14/05/2012 at 13:03

I did a 10 mile loop of part of the course yesterday, i believe it was miles 10 to 20 and found it was not totally flat, but a route that most runners should be able to cope with.

In case any one else is interested, the route i covered was :

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/0e91c39079d44d129b7f316f8da1b98e?unit=mi

It is certainly a nice area to run around

14/05/2012 at 13:20

Reading this, I'm a little bit gutted that it sounds (correct me if my hasty skim-reading is wrong) like I won't get a medal or tshirt for finishing the Half Marathon- it would have been nice to have some souvenirs, and nowhere during sign up did it mention needing to complete four races to get a t shirt!

14/05/2012 at 13:53

No!!!

I got a really nice t-shirt (and little goody bag) just for the 5k. You get an extra medal and t-shirt for doing the whole series! I`m sure you`ll get something for completing the half and the 10 miler you usually get a mug for but that might be `upped` this year

14/05/2012 at 13:56

Aaaaah, like I said, sorry for the skim reading, am a procrastinating medical student that should be revising hard 

Sounds lovely! I can't wait, it's my first half marathon

14/05/2012 at 14:12

Go for it Sarah! And it doesn`t say `full` now either!?

14/05/2012 at 14:16

Confusing! I was in no way ready to attempt a full marathon but a half is do-able with contingency time added in (medical school has a nasty habit of springing exams with little notice!)

Are you doing any of the rest of the series?

14/05/2012 at 15:50

Ha! Brian Poerter I love your quote from page 4: 

'Just about, but it doesn't go along Cop Lane.
It doubles back on itself between Cop lane and the next roundabout
Apart from that you've got it right
I'm leaving this thread now until later in the year
I have 3 other marathons to run before this one, numerous courses to measure, The Olympic Games to volunteer at, Preston Guild volunteering, The Olympic Flame to carry, my son's GCSE results to enjoy and our Silver Wedding to celebrate.

So if you want me you will have to message me'.

Nice one Brian.

Anyway... I have just entered this marathon... Aargh.....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.