Preston Guild Marathon

anyone tempted?

261 to 280 of 856 messages
08/07/2012 at 16:56
13 miles for me today it was hotter than I expected still better than nothing lets hope it continues. Welcome back ET
09/07/2012 at 10:39

soo we are on the count down to the marathon now hey 16 weeks to go...

Activity on here seems to be picking up which is good and when i was out runnign on Sunday, there was a very noticable increase in the number of runners about the place.

Hows everybody going on here? Any one signed up to that Guild Wheel run, im tempted for training purposes, but only if quite a few people are running otherwise it might be worth it he he

09/07/2012 at 13:06
You say "signed up to the guild wheel run" is there an official race or is it the training people are talking about on here.
09/07/2012 at 13:12

There is a offical run thingy being done on it :

http://www.prestonguild2012.com/?OBH=413&ID=882

And thats what i was referring too, sorry folks

vw1
09/07/2012 at 13:36

Starting to look forward to the Preston marathon. I did 12 miles this Saturday and am running the Lytham windmill half on Sunday to see where I am in terms of fitness and time. This will be only my second mararthon and I want to finish in under 4hrs so I'll be running round the preston wheel a few times between now and October.

09/07/2012 at 14:35

Hello,

I'm interested in doing this and wondered if there is an official time limit on the event for the marathon? I am pretty slow, so just wondered what sort of time I'd need to be looking at....

Thank you in advance.

09/07/2012 at 22:23
Cheers sjcp14
10/07/2012 at 13:42

No problem 9, was just wondering if any one had signed up to it at all and what peoples thoughts were about it.

Hi Vixx76, i dont think there is a time limit on this run and as they dont ask you for a time est. i doubt there is. This is the office link :

http://www.prestonguild2012.com/marathon

Hi Vince, 12 miles with 16 weeks to go, you should make it under 4hrs esp if your following some sort of program. What is the Windmill HM like or have you not done it before ?

10/07/2012 at 13:51

Thanks SJPC14

vw1
10/07/2012 at 19:20

Hi SJPC14, I have not done the Lytham half before. Apparently it used to be a regular fixture years ago but it is a while since it has been an event. I got instructions tonight and it looks well organised so can't wait. It looks like it is along the coast for most of the race so should be good.

11/07/2012 at 05:42

I've signed up for the Windmill half as well it will be interesting to see where I am in regards of fitness. Secretly hoping for under 2 hours (best half was a 2:02 was in 2007 and did have had a break from running after that), over the moon with 2:10 and will be pleased with getting round!

11/07/2012 at 13:15

Signed up for all the Guild series at the start of the year and this will be my first marathon, I've previously run two halves Keswick and Royal Parks both in just over 2 hours so I'm aiming for anything under 4 and a half for this. Ran 36 miles last week including a 12 miler so training seems to be going OK although the balls of my feet were a bit painful so I've switched some of my training runs from road to beach. I've entered the Fleetwood half at the end of August to see where I'm at. Good luck with the training if you're having a go especially if its your first.

11/07/2012 at 16:37

No worries Vixx

Thanx to the guys with all the info on the windmill race, i am considering it. I think I did a run there once, it may of been a 10 mile one along the front there.

Good luck on your first Mara S.Strider - It sounds like your training is on course, although not sure why your feet are in such pain, maybe you need more support. This will be only my third marathon but if the other two are anything to go by you will go through a mixture of emotions , but ultimately you will really enjoy it - esp when you finish the thing lol :P

11/07/2012 at 21:08

Thanks SJPC14 funnily enough I was at Natterjack in Southport getting some new shoes at the weekend and they recommended a shoe with a bit more support so I'm wearing them in at the moment. I've also rediscovered home made flapjack and malt loaf which is keeping my energy levels up.Has anybody got any suggestions what training I'll need to do for the 10 mile race in November about 4 weeks after the marathon?

12/07/2012 at 17:19

Hi everyone. This will be my 1st marathon. I'm not really a runner and kind of opened my mouth before thinking and agreed to run it!! I'm off to do a 10k tonight which isn't far but I have seen a massive improvement in my fitness. Does anyone having any top tips?

12/07/2012 at 19:39

SS - The Hutton 10 is a good one. By then we all ought to be flying, getting the benefit of running 26.2 a month earlier. I can`t imagine I`ll have done a huge amount of specific training for it. The main thing is to recover (can take 3-4 weeks) and listen to your body. After my first marathon, I PBed at HM 3 weeks later but I still felt a little fatigued.

13/07/2012 at 01:33

Vixx76 I think the time limit is 6 and a half hours.

I'm really slow and planning on doing the half, so asked if there was a limit. They told me 6.5 hours for the full marathon, and no official limit for the half, although they would expect everyone to have finished in 4 hours (which is at least an hour over my target time).

13/07/2012 at 12:42

I've never raced a 10 miler so it will be a PB whatever the time

13/07/2012 at 12:57

hello hannah bailey 2 - the best tips i can give you, is follow a training program, get our running even if its raining, if your feeling injured or strained do take a break as you don't want to miss the big day and make sure you include hills - Good luck

6.5 limit for the marathon you say Jane, well in that case Vixx i think even if you are feeling dead on your legs you can always walk to the finish in time. There are what 16 - 15 wks to go, your get round im sure

13/07/2012 at 17:58

SS - Yeah, a PB! I really like it as a distance as it feels like it`s long enough for you to get a proper race but you don`t have to go off like the clappers to get a decent time, which is how 5 and 10k feel to me. Hutton is a fast 2 lapper with a lot of really good racers.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.