Preston Guild Marathon

anyone tempted?

381 to 400 of 856 messages
17/09/2012 at 18:50

My 10 miler was also much better than last Sunday's attempt at 9- I had some company from the uni running club and took a gel with me and managed 10 miles at 9:40 pace

17/09/2012 at 21:56
The car park at manchester rd is 2 quid all day. Park and ride at Walton-le-dale should be running on the day. It usually runs oct for Sunday shopping. The start n finish are walking dis from train station.

If no sports are available try the sports tablets. Put a few in ya bags and add one to the water you pick up at water stations. 5 quid a tube only works out at 50p a drink.
Edited: 17/09/2012 at 21:58
18/09/2012 at 12:56

penguingirl - sounds like your training is right on target for the half, good to see your 5k time dropping too; well done on the pb! Don't go out of your way on the parking front, I tend to be over analytical, I'm well sorted in my head knowing there are several options if I head down Queen St.

Sarah - just clicked you must be doing the half (I hope) if you are at the 10 mile mark in training - the carbs don't matter as much over the half distance but definitely worth trying out if you plan to run longer. 

9 - thanks for the additional info on parking. Sports tabs? I've not heard of those before, did a quick web search and am only coming up with electrolyte type tabs? Nothing with carbs in? Do they do a carb tab?

I did a 2 mile recovery run last night to shake the tiredness out of my legs...took it really easy; 21 mins. Hamstrings feel ready to go today. Planning some hill repeats tonight, if I hold together after my pace run on Saturday I have my eye on 14 miles for Sunday, got to start getting some distance in. 

18/09/2012 at 14:59
Thems the ones ,,sis electrolyte. Worked for me.. For carbs take jelly beans
18/09/2012 at 17:04

Iowrez- I am doing the half, but find that as I near an hour and a half or so of running, my legs start to get a little heavy and some carbs give me a little boost

19/09/2012 at 09:35

Finally confirmed that I have a stress fracture. Hope I can do the HM . . .

19/09/2012 at 09:39

So much for hill repeats; got a call from the cooker delivery man when I got in so I ended up doing some cross training of cleaning behind the old one...it's life Jim, but not as we know it. Hams didn't half complain about that, but seem OK today. Just a few miles tonight...unless the gas installer can drop by and hook up the new cooker.

9 and Sarah...I have severely over analysed the carb thing after hitting the wall very hard in London in 2008, went through half way laughing at how easy it was in 2:00.07 aiming for 4hrs and at 18 miles it felt like all my bones had been ripped out, mentally I collapsed into a dream like world where nothing mattered any more. I have recently concluded that I have been overdosing on carbs; in Liverpool last year, when I went sub 4 for the first time, with 5 miles to go I felt ill I'd supped so much PSP22, it was a real mental wrench to chuck the bottle away and believe I could carry on without it. In my last 2 marathons I've taken less onboard during the run and got around OK. There is obviously an optimum personal balance that everyone must have...I'm still learning on that front.

19/09/2012 at 09:43

ET, thats really bad news...its been a while since the pain came on hasn't it? Did they say how long for it to heal? Sounds like you've got no choice but to lay off running until it fixes though...time to get on the static bike...if it causes no pain that is. I had a March Fracture a few years back so know how frustrating this will be...you've just got to let stuff like that heal properly.  

19/09/2012 at 12:11

Let it heel ET and you'll be fine in 20 years for the next one

If you drop down to the HM it is easy, just use the message icon n the official Guild marathon website and tell them. I messaged them on Monday morning to say could I drop down to do the half from the full marathon because of niggly injuries and other things that I can't do the full marathon. I got a reply Tuesday afternoon saying that they'll sort it, I even booked on it through the John Schofield website.

19/09/2012 at 12:35

The multi storey car park at Preston station is £2/day at weekends, there's also a car park behind County Hall that's usually available at weekends and is pretty cheap.

Ran Fleetwood half marathon at the end of August and getting a bit apprehensive about my first marathon now. With the 10K next weekend I'll have to do a 12 miler mid week to compensate, probably Thursday, then two days rest. Got 19 planned for this Friday and 20 two weeks later, then its time to taper.

19/09/2012 at 14:58

Thanks Chris and lowrez. It is appreciated.

To say I`m disappointed is an understatement. Feeling very sorry for myself, still. Doing the 10k is probably not sensible as I can only do about 20 minutes before it starts hurting. Mind you, with the best part of a fortnight more to rest, maybe I could do 25 minutes. What`s the world record again?

20/09/2012 at 07:45

ET, don't go anywhere near that 10k! It sounds like you have a chance for a good recovery if there is no immediate pain, but you must have been road testing it to know you can get 20mins in before it complains? I hope you jumped on the bus home straight away after that! You've just got to stop and rest. These are little devils; I had immediate pain and a small pool of bleeding/ bruising but nothing showed up on an X-ray. Did the doc say anything about the recovery time? After my time off, sadly, I had to build up real slow again, took months as they warned me if I caused a repeat I would really struggle in the future...take it easy ET!    

20/09/2012 at 08:10

Southport Strider - thanks for the additional parking gen...I have this horrible image of me going from full car park to full car park and missing the start, suppose if I get far enough out I can park in a street and enjoy the stroll in though.

Cripes; you mentioned the "T" word and I'm not even past the half in training yet. I would have gone for the whole Guild Series if I hadn't missed the 5k, but, I am steering clear of any races now before the big day; no matter how controlled I try to be in treating things like that as training runs, not wanting to tempt injury for the main event, I always end up "going for it" and needing recovery time that should be spent towards the big day. Looks like you are well on track; what time are you aiming for? I got 3 and a bit miles in last night, all my hamstrings could manage, more of a recovery run than anything, feeling better this morning, will try those hill repeats tonight.

20/09/2012 at 12:51

lowrez I'm probably looking at 4:15 to 4:30 and if I do it without stopping I'll be more than pleased. I usually finish 60-70% down the field in 10k's and half marathons so I'm not the fastest, my PB for a half is just outside 2 hours. I've been trying to mix my shorter runs up a bit between easy, trail (beach) and treadmill (tempo) to try and keep my legs fresher for the long runs on road.

20/09/2012 at 21:13
the Egyptian Toe - I'm experiencing something very similar to yourself at the minute. I'm due to run Chester in a couple of weeks (but have also entered Liverpool) and I haven't run for the best part of 10 days with an injury that sounds very similar to yours.

I got a gradual pain in the ball of my foot and on the top of my second metatarsal, mainly the morning after running. After a 22 miler which I pretty much had to hobble I couldn't walk and ended up at the hospital where they x rayed it and said there wasn't a stress fracture. I've since seen my g.p a physio and a podiatrist and I'm off to another physio tomorrow. Not had any joy at any of them so far and I'm wondering if they've actually missed a stress fracture. It is fine to walk on though and only hurts when I try to run. did you go back for a third x ray and was yours bearable to walk on etc?

I feel your pain.
21/09/2012 at 09:41

Matti - sorry to hear that. My pain is very concentrated on a small area on top of the metatarsal. It comes on gradually and hurts a lot the next day. I had 2 sets of xrays with nothing showing but, on the second visit to the physio, she said it must be a stress fracture that isn`t showing on the pics. It does make sense; it might even be one that is partially healed or an old one aggravated that I wasn`t aware of.

Keep us posted.

21/09/2012 at 10:05

Good luck everyone.

My physio says I can start running again today, and I'm stupidly excited about the prospect of a wet 20 min jog after work. I've swapped from the 10k to the 5k, and am still hopeful about the half marathon if I walk bits. As long as my calves hold out in the next couple of weeks.

Hopefully see you all there.

21/09/2012 at 13:31

Sorry to hear about all these injuries, I missed 6 months last year with plantar fasciitis and I know how frustrating it can be. One of my biggest issues is with running shoes because my big toes tend to come through them very quickly but I suppose thats the price to pay given the lightweight materials used.

22/09/2012 at 00:12

The recent Panorama on shoes and hydration implied we'd probably be better off without huge wedges of bouncy plastic under our feet. I used to run in flat soled canvas tennis shoes when I started out running, I was a lot younger and probably more resilient then, but, I don't remember any major injuries. I've just splashed out on 3 pairs of the usual mainstream running shoes I use on-line, once again the model has had a re-vamp and the feel has changed considerably from the version I am currently using, so went for more of them before supplies disappear with the new one coming on stream. I plan to give a new pair of those old type tennis shoes a go after Preston on some short runs, maybe even switch completely back to them if I have no problems, conscious I should not just switch over night to something radically different to what I've been running in for a good few years now though. I wonder if some of our ailments are shoe related?

I got those 5 hill repeats in yesterday, shook things up really well, good job its a rest day today, stretching those hamstrings plenty! Big weekend coming up; 7 miles marathon pace tomorrow and 14 miles long and slow on Sunday. If I can make it through that on an even keel I'll be a lot more confident.   

Southport Strider - thats a good combo of shorter running, and a great comeback from 6 months off.

22/09/2012 at 07:05
I went so see another physio last night who said it could be nerve or tendon damage. Said its hard to tell without having it scanned. He did say that I've to rest it until its completely pain free though so I won't be on the start line for either Chester or Liverpool, which is a bit annoying as my number arrived for Liverpool yesterday. Haha.

Will just be glad to get out running again if I'm honest. Good luck!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.