Preston Guild Marathon

anyone tempted?

441 to 460 of 856 messages
01/10/2012 at 10:36

The nerves are starting to build as its October already! does anyone how many water stops there are? and which energy drinks/gels brand is sponsoring the run? as a prestonian the route is dissapointing but at least it will be character building!

GOOD LUCK ALL!!!

01/10/2012 at 13:16

No worries Wales. They look worse than they are, if you look at the gradient it doesnt go above 150 so we should be fine. Although yes in the last few miles they may seem tougher than they are.

If you run that 10 mile loop i posted up, your get a good feel for the course i think.

Hi ben welcome to the forum. Yes October is here and the days are vanishing quickly hey lol I think if you look a few posts back some people were discussion water stations. I know Brian Potter is involved in the organisation of this race and going off the Freckleton HM, which he used to do. I imagine there will be plenty of stations for us. If your worried you could always take a drunks bottle round with you. Although i dont think your need to. But perhaps have some gels on you.

Is this your first marathon then ? I only ask as youve said that this will be character building and that is usually a give away lol. As long as it doesnt rain im sure we're all be fine but saying that they dont call this the ultimate test of stamina and endurance for nothing lol. It will be tough, These really long distances always are. The key is to never let it beat your mind. You can push your body you see, even when your in pain and your legs feel like lead, but if your mind is beaten then the distance will win. So stay positive and keep moving forwarded even if you have to walk for a bit. Its getting to the finish thats the primary target nothing else matters.

02/10/2012 at 18:08

Thanks SJPC14 for those encouraging words.  This too is my first ever Marathon and I do struggle with the 'mind bit'.  I just hope I can keep going!! See you all there. 

02/10/2012 at 18:14

I have a place for the half, and injury means I'm not ready to run it. So if anyone is after a place, send me a message.

04/10/2012 at 09:09

Ah your be fine melanie im sure, but I wont lie there will be some though moments on the day and you might even consider giving up. But your find not just the crowd but other runners will be giving you words of encouragement which is always special and something which you can feed off. And if you feel like walking for a bit then you do that plenty do it a give you a bit of break and your be able to pick the pace up again im sure.

Take a stop watch so keep checking it and stick to your planned pace. Even if you feel like you could 'push on' don't, unless its like the last few miles or something, hold back your feel better for it. Trust me!! Oh these are good 

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/marathonpaceguide/0,7167,s6-239-283-317-0-0-0-0,00.html

Shame to hear about your injury Jane, there be other races dont worry.

Anyone else get drenched last night!!! nasty!!

I think i am going to be doing the Preston park run again this weekend (http://www.parkrun.org.uk/preston/) and then an 18 miler this sunday, my last really long run i suspect, as next week i'll either do 15 or 12 mile.

Hows everybody else getting on?

04/10/2012 at 09:50

Me?  I'm struggling a bit.  I've not been able to get in the long runs needed for this, my first marathon (or indeed first race longer than 10miles).  My longest runs have been 12, 12, 12, 13, 13, 14, 17 & 17.

I feel I need to get up to 19 this weekend  and 21 two weeks before race day.  So I'm looking at a slightly short taper. 

I hope I'm not overdoing it at the end, but feel like it will be psychologically damaging not to get past 20 miles in training.

What do you think?

04/10/2012 at 12:46

ran loch ness marathon last weekend, and can't decide whether to run or not... does anyone know when the online closting date is?

04/10/2012 at 13:28

Hi Wales if i was you , i would do the 21 miles this week and 19 the next, if those are the distances you want to do. It takes a bit for your body to fully recover from such long distances so , that's why i would do it that way around. When i did my first marathon, this a be my third, the i only managed one 20 mile run in training, so don't fret too much. With your long slow runs, the most important thing, is time out on the road. Your going to be on your feet for several hours on the day, so with these last few weeks take your time on your weekend runs. Use the midweek if you want to practice your marathon pace and do any speed work. And don't forget to taper off.

Ah Mr counchman! how are you doing ? The closing date for this event, is the 8th i believe, but dont quote me on that, but get signed up soon if you want to do it.

04/10/2012 at 15:11

Thanks for the advice SJPC...  I think you might be right. I was trying not to break (badly) the 10% rule, where your long runs shouldn't be 10% longer than you've previously done.

But maybe 21 miles at 10 minute pace would be sensible...  See how I get on.  A bit of recovery, then if I feel OK, 19 miles a bit faster the following weekend.   I've previously done 17 miles @9'30" pace... so perhaps aim to do that pace for the 19 miler.

04/10/2012 at 15:15

4 days to decide then! and convince myself that a 5th marathon this year is a good idea..... ...but it's so local it would be a shame not too run it!

Would be good to say hi SJPC14

04/10/2012 at 15:41

No worries Wales, to be honest ive not heard of the 10% rule before, so thanks for that, i will look into that. But regardless of that i still think if your going to go over 20 miles in the next few weeks it should be this weekend. And yes do practice your race day pace. I am thinking of doing my marathon pace for all my runs except the speed work of course! from now on.

Five marathons in a year simon, you were a good runner last time i saw you for coasters, sounds like youve gone onto a whole other level!! Well done and hats off to you my good sir lol

And yes it would be good to meet up, if your doing this event it a be a shame not to.

04/10/2012 at 16:05

Thanks again SJPC.  One more bit of advice, if you (or Simon, or anyone else) can give an opinion please. (Sounds like Simon might have forgotten what a first marathon feels like!)

I've got that difficult decision to take about what pace to set off for the first 10 miles of the actual race.  

If I use the Runner's World race-time predictor, using last week's 17 mile training time, it predicts a marathon finish of 4:10.  .  But there are some competing factors.

• For the race time predictor, they do expect you to be fully trained.  I'm a little undercooked as I indicated earlier and probably don't have quite the required miles behind me.
  • I might hit the wall and fade completely! I'm going into the unknown.
  • There will be all that support and adrenalin on the day.
  • My long runs have been done without tapering, zero nutrition intake, and no water after the half-way point.
  • I'll have completed another couple of long runs and a little bit more conditioning between now and race day.

So, whilst I'll be satisfied to finish in under 4:30,  I'll be mjuch happier if I make 4:15...  but have a dream of doing 03:59:59

Based on your previous experience of the effects of race-day (including the factors above), and given my training times... do you think there's any point in starting out at a pace aimed at the 4hr finish?  Or is that a pipe-dream?  Would I be better starting at 10 minute miles and accept a lower risk 4:20-4:30 finish?

(for info, if you understand this...  my character is one which would prefer to go for breaking 4hr, if there is any realistic chance.... even if it risks me blowing up and struggling to a 5 hour finish.   But equally, I'm level headed enough to accept that if the chances of making 4hr is only 1%, I'd rather take it a bit steadier and settle for, say, 4:15.)

All opinions welcome!  Thanks.

04/10/2012 at 16:21
Go for it!! Everyone slows at some point ,so just go for your 4hr and hope to die later rather than sooner....
04/10/2012 at 16:42

Hi Wales, you certainly think about things hey!!

I would go with a pacing plan. Perhaps get yourself two pace bands, One for your dream 4hr finish and the other for say 4.15 perhaps. And then on the day, do what you can to ignore other runners and the crowd and stick to the quicker pace for as long as you can. Then if you do begin to struggle you can settle back into the 4.15 pace and finish without blowing up per say. It takes a bit of focus to stick to a pace but it will be worth it, even if 13 miles you think i feel great i am going to push on, your better waiting until the 20 m point before making such a move.

04/10/2012 at 16:53

Yep.. I do!  I'm a scientist - which has its benefits and many more drawbacks!

You said you'd look up the 10% rule...  well, not surpisingly, I couldn't resist doing the same and came across something that derides it!

It is based on a single study though - but it does have a credible number of runners involved (over 500... all novices) - it compared half of them doing 10% increases in mileage per week... with the other group doing (I think) 14.5% increases...  It concludes no difference in injury rates.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/health/nutrition/21best.html?_r=3&

But as you undoubtedly know, there always seems to be a lot of conflicting evidence flying about, on the subject of running.

ps  -  thanks to you and 9 for the encouragement.  Whether or not it is good advice, it is what I wanted to hear!

Edited: 04/10/2012 at 16:54
05/10/2012 at 10:25

Your definitely a scientist with your inter-item tested study example!

Yes i know what your mean about there being different theories floating about the place on running. It can be very confusing.

The trick the marathon does seem to be keeping a consistent pace and ignoring the urge to push until your homing in on the finish. It can be hard, because you will be running at slower pace than your used to, but it is worth it. I did the Edinburgh marathon a few years and i got the 13 mile point maybe just a minute behind my HM pb time and i felt great so kept going but by the time i hit the 18 m point, i was pretty dead on my legs - so there is some basis to my advice. Although i did admire (9's "Go for it" advice) saying that he he

05/10/2012 at 10:38

Wow Wales I am impressed with your scientific approach! I am very unscientific in how I run, and I am refusing to get a garmin because I don't want to get sucked into it despite being scientific it lots of other areas of my life (but we run to switch off from that don't we?!)

I'm a bit in awe of everyone doing the marathon training. My half training is going ok- still not gone beyond 9 miles because of a combination of being super busy/ the preston 10k last week/ being afraid of the rain/ laziness but I'm planning a 10 miler this weekend and 12 miler next then I'll just do 8 the weekend before. I don't have a goal timewise so that takes a lot of pressure off. I just hope we don't have too much rain before the race as I am sick of practically swimming on some of my training runs, plus all my usual footpaths are unpassable at the moment which makes the longer runs a bit dull. 

SJPC- you're correct I did do parkrun and the 10k last weekend. Didn't get PBs for either but  enjoyed them both! I had thought about skipping parkrun, but as I'm not that fast I decided it wouldn't make that much difference to me plus it fitted in with my training plan for the half which is my main focus. 

05/10/2012 at 11:26

Hey Penguin, your training sounds like it is bang on plan, so well done.

I know what you mean about the rain, a lot of my routes go along by the river and the other night it was flooded in sections, so it made for a very interesting run indeed!!

I will probably be at the ParkRun again 2maz, so i will look out for a penguin! I'll be running down again, from the direction of the capital centre. I am hoping it doesn't rain, one drenching a week is quite enough!

Well done on doing the 10k last weekend how did you get on, i dont think I could of done the park run followed by the 10k , so very impressive / brave

05/10/2012 at 12:15

Unfortunately I don't often look like a penguin so you might not recognise me. I drive there so park up near the school/playground and walk over. The weather forecast looks good for tomorrow. My route was flooded the other night too (Tuesday I think), I ended up ankle deep and then had to squelch the rest of the way round, plus my final bit was by a main road and I got splashed by the rush hour traffic- it's all character builing though! 

I did the 10k in 62mins which is actually my slowest yet (PW?!) but as I'd only done 2 pretty flat ones before that wasn't surprising. I don't think doing a 5k and then a 10k in the same weekend is anywhere near as impressive as marathon training!

05/10/2012 at 13:18

i dont know two races one after the other is quite tough i imagine. Marathon training is tough, the worse part is that it is time consuming. Im sure your find this out one day, as no one ever stops at HM lol

Character building! You sound just like my brother inlaw!!

As you dont look like a penguin, i'll look out for someone in running stuff instead

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.