Preston Guild Marathon

anyone tempted?

501 to 520 of 856 messages
DM8
10/10/2012 at 13:59

Thanks SJPC14. Doesn't look too bad from your map. Slightly concerned about the hill at the end! Would be nice to finish downhill or at least on the flat! Really looking forward to it and hoping to get a PB if possible.

10/10/2012 at 15:00

We should be ok, I think the way the site i use maps the route , that makes it looks worse than it is. I live just outside of preston and yes it is a slight climb but we should be ok.

I cant wait for it either, i suspect there are a few people now who have done with trainign and jsut want to get out and run the thing!

10/10/2012 at 18:57
I'm one of those people SJPC14!!
10/10/2012 at 19:03
If you want to try the high 5 gels, one option would be to subscribe to trail running magazine. You get a free high 5 marathon pack with loads of gels plus recovery and sports drinks for a 6 month subscription at ??12 (magazines are published bimonthly) I got my pack through the door today. And it's a good read!
10/10/2012 at 19:04
Another useful tip : Aldi are selling loads of cheap running gear at the moment (in stores today) gloves and hats for ??2, tights for a tenner etc
10/10/2012 at 19:08
I've had the high5 tablets.....no problems with them.
10/10/2012 at 20:16

hi everbody.i only started running jan this yr,i ride a road bike everyday the 6 miles to work.last cpl of weeks ive ran 18m 21m 23m as well as some runs in week.my time for 23miles was 3hrs 19mins. would i be silly in hoping for a 3hrs 50min time? btw i use the high5 gels and they are really good,i get mine off ebay 20 for £15. any tips anyone can give me i would appreciate. really looking forwards to my first run.btw im 54

10/10/2012 at 20:48
Rick, that's pretty impressive running! I would imagine you would be well on for that time. You would only need to average 10min miles for the last (albeit the hardest) 3 miles. How did you feel at the end of 23 miles?
10/10/2012 at 21:05

hi sean. my running was still around 8.31 a mile but my legs felt heavy,last mile to my home is up hill so that always gets me lol.most of my run was flat with a good bit on canal round blackburn and accrington.was temted to do same run this sunday and add the 3 mile on at the end,

10/10/2012 at 21:21

Rick, what a fantastic start to running!!  You've done 23 (I'm assuming this weekend) don't run anymore really long runs now you will negatively impact your race!  It's never going to feel easy at the end but you should aim to sustain pace so sounds like you've had excellent preparation.  There's a thing called 'taper madness' - it's what make you want to run 26 this weekend!!  Don't do it  Keep the pace up on the long runs but reduce the distance.  Come race day, work out your pace and stick to it.  Don't go off to fast - it makes the end really, really hard. 

10/10/2012 at 21:30

thanks for that hopeful.i will take your advice and wont do that distance this weekend then.i am a strong willed person.i have runkeeper telling me every 5 mins my pace.when i did 23mile i managed to keep my times steady apart from my 1st 5mins that i always seem to start at over 9mins a mile.after that im good at keeping it between 8.38 and 8.27 for the rest of my run.

10/10/2012 at 21:38
That's some good running rick you should be on for a 3:50 with not to many problems!
I've recently started using high 5 gels also and must say I'm very impressed find them easy to digest whilst running which I had issues with, with some other brands so I'm really pleased that these are on offer during the marathon! Really looking forward to getting to the start line now and hopefully getting a reasonable time!
10/10/2012 at 21:40

Have faith in what you've done and you're better off starting slow than starting off too quick!  Those initial minutes as you settle into your stride equate to just a few seconds over the whole distance so really are nothing to worry about!!  Maintianing a difference of no more than 11 seconds per mile consistently through your long runs shows amazing discipline!!  Have a look at some schedules on here to see the distances you should be doing in these last couple of weeks and you'll see there is very little you need to do between now and race day.  Good luck, I look forward to seeing how you get on.   

10/10/2012 at 22:03

Sorry, am a little bit behind here- are race packs being sent out via email? I don't seem to have one (have checked my spam)- boooo!

10/10/2012 at 22:57
Not had mine yet either
11/10/2012 at 00:01

Ridiculously good running Rick...  shame you didn't get into this younger!

This is my first marathon too...  you will be having a nice steak with your family whilst I'm still wrestling with one of those gel things, trying to get to the finish! 

You've said you won't do a very long run this weekend..   Please  don't change your mind!  Like I said, I'm new to this distance, but all the reading says you'll do much better in the race if you take a let your legs recover over the last couple of weeks.  If you do that, you should be quicker in the race than in training...  and the adrenalin and encouragement on race day shouldn't do any harm either.

11/10/2012 at 07:29

The "race pack" is now on the website.www.prestonguild2012.com It's a 12 page pdf document. Was anything else emailed to us ? My email has changed since I registered so I have not received anything.

Rick Slater. Sound good to me. Take it easy until race day and I reckon 3.50 is achievable. I ran 22 miles in 3.00 hours in training last week on a hilly route and I'm hoping for a sub 3.30 at the marathon.  

11/10/2012 at 12:45

I emailed them after the post from a different Sarah on the previous page and got mine shortly after that.  So thanks Sarah A59!

11/10/2012 at 12:48

Some impressive running going on!!! well done all!

And thanks for tips about High5 and Aldi, will try and check these out.

In regards to the pack, I had to email in after seeing posts on here and I also know of two others that hadnt received one. Im sure i have had problems in the past receiving stuff about the guild marathon, so it must be a constant issue for them.

11/10/2012 at 16:36

Some randomness that may help provide a mixture of distraction and inspiration for the big day 

Name 3 Great Running Memories

3.Running up Rivington Pike one day to be presented with a view of the surrounding area covered in low cloud with just the tops of the very tallest buildings showing through the cloud. It was a stunning sight.

2. The Rocky theme tune blasting out from a flat balcony during the Great North Run. You couldnt not smile!!

1.Headding into the final stretch of the Great North knowing my partner was in the crowd to see me cross the line. No stiff upper lip required

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.