Preston Guild Marathon

anyone tempted?

521 to 540 of 856 messages
11/10/2012 at 21:21

1/ my first run between two lamp posts last xmas.and believe me thats not a joke guys

2/ my first 7 mile run without stopping.thats when it hit me i could enter a race maybe,

3/ last sunday setting off from my house in oswaldtwistle at 7am going over the tops into blackburn and seeing the low clouds blocking my sight of blackburn then running down into it, then running along canal later in full sunshine with the birds singing.wish i had more exciting tales for you ppl but im only a newbe and hopfully ive lots more exciting things to see in my future running,

one for the future im dying to be able to tell is running over the finishing line at preston on the 28th to complete my first marathon, good running everbody,

11/10/2012 at 21:48

hey those are some great stories rick and mine were not interesting well not to any one other than me. I was out running along the leeds liverpool canal last sunday too lol might of even passed you!!

And yes im hoping to finish the race too!!

Oh ive the heard the clocks go back that day too! Is this true!! Ouch!! lol

11/10/2012 at 22:26
PureManic wrote (see)

The "race pack" is now on the website.www.prestonguild2012.com It's a 12 page pdf document. Was anything else emailed to us ? My email has changed since I registered so I have not received anything.

Hi Puremanic

The original email had 6 attachments:-

• Race Pack
  • Car Parking Permit (free car parking at bus station)
  • Voucher for a discount at a running shop
  • route map
  • Form to be used if you want someone else to pick up your race number/chip etc
  • List of prizes

11/10/2012 at 23:03
Great memories! Mine would be:
1. Crossing the finishing line for the Snowdonia Marathon in lashing Llanberis rain last year. Believe me, I've never been happier to get to the end of the race! God knows how the ultra guys do it!
2. Any run around the Great Orme in Llandudno but one that sticks out is seeing the mountain goats rutting there last year and hearing the clash of horns echo across the headland (I highly recommend the Conwy half marathon in November btw which takes in this route, voted most scenic half in RW last year I think)
3. My first fell race at Foel Lus near Conwy. Have enjoyed some great runs and met some great people on the hills since then

But like the above, hoping to add Preston flag market to this list!
11/10/2012 at 23:19

Running Memories

1/ Group of about 6 mates doing a sprint triathlon, Market Drayton  in about 1987. Of my group, I was 2nd out of the (cold outdoor) pool. But after doing the cycling on a borrowed heavy steel mountain bike, wearing a climber's helmet...  everyone else's sleek drop handled racing bike was long gone. My memory was running like hell... and the pleasure of catching up with one of the lads just before the end. Glorious.  Thank goodness he was a smoker!

2  Running with my girlfriend (now wife), when she fell heavily on a cobbled street.  I ran to pick her up, obviously in pain, complaining about her shin.  Heart racing, I check over her legs... and she's sounding more insistent... "My shin, My shin".   I was panicking but couldn't see anything wrong. I looked up to see blood pouring from my poor love's chin.  Obviously not quite able to pronounce her words properly.  Not a word of exaggeration.

3 Run the World  - Hyde Park, Leeds  1986.  Great day.

12/10/2012 at 08:48

Getting jealous of the Welsh runners!! lol

I do like your triathlon story wales, with patch work gear lol

12/10/2012 at 12:29

Thanks Run Wales. I'll get in touch with them with my new email.

12/10/2012 at 21:14
Ran just over 20 miles in 3:30 last Saturday so 4:15 to 4:30 looks doable. Disaster tonight though pulled up with a calf strain 7 miles into a 12 miler, got the ice out now and fingers crossed I'll make it!
12/10/2012 at 22:40
Just found this thread!

Hi everybody

I have a dilemma and maybe you can help me. I'm entered into Abingdon (fast flat race) on the 21st and also Preston on the 28th (well it would be rude not to considering its a once in a 20 year kinda thing). Thing is, I was going to run Abingdon hard and go for a relaxing trot around Preston but I've been struck down with an acute bout of plantar fasciitis which has seriously disrupted my training over the past 3 weeks and I think I might only have one 26.2 in me before I need a break.

What d'ya think

1) run Abingdon hard and hope I can still get round Preston
2) cancel Abo and go for it at Preston

Big factor is how flat is the Preston course? The Preston guys at the Manchester marathon expo earlier this year described Preston as "undulating" - which generally means full of horrible hills not so good when I'm trying to break one of those pesky time barriers. Anyone know the route?
13/10/2012 at 02:46

Hey Joe,

I think the term undulating is the official term... but I understand that it is on the mild side of this classification.  A guy called SJPC has created an unofficial map, which shows the undulation profile... At first glance, it looks bad... but look at the vertical scale, and you'll see that the climbs look ok.   He put a link into this thread... see the bottom of page 25 of this thread... the post from 10th October at 12,55pm

Hard to advise which marathon to go for.  Have a look at Abingdon's undulation profile... it might not be quite as flat as you think...  but if it's flatter, and  if you're fixated on your time, then that has to be an advantage.

But Preston would give you an extra week to recover and it is the first ever Guild Marathon, and a once in 20yr event!

Then you've got other factors to consider... like practicalities of travel. Family or personal ties to the towns. For me, it's the town of my birth & schooling. So the emotional pull makes this unmissable.     Good luck with your decision. (I recommend Lancashire... but I'm biased!)

Southport strider... sounds a near identical time to me (20.5 miles in 3:38 last week)  but a calf muscle at this stage is bad.  At least you've done the key training now, and if it recovers well, you won't have missed too much.... but really hoping things work out for you. Bad luck.

13/10/2012 at 09:08
You're hardcore joe.... Just do it

1) 1st London mara. Crowds where/are unreal
2) last London mara. Monster pb and not one training session was good. Struggled on them all but on the day it just came together. I was shocked at the end.
3) Redbull steeplechase last Sunday. Weather/views and event staff made it an awesome day. Topped off with free hog roast n bar at the end. Fantastic value for money.
13/10/2012 at 12:51
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Cw5MHsO-JI8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCw5MHsO-JI8

Anyone had this conversation in work recently?,
13/10/2012 at 13:06
http://www.runwales.com/events/conwy-half-marathon

Thinking of a good race to make use of all that marathon traing? 3 weeks after the big one!
13/10/2012 at 15:26
Thanks Run Wales, you were right to ask which race had the most emotional pull - if the time is out of the window then it has to be Preston. hopefully see you on the start line
13/10/2012 at 19:34

Great choice SlokeyJoe - keep stretching those soles - hope it settles down quickly.

SG2 - very funny tube! I watched another with a woman explaining the same stuff - still giggling.

1. Briefly standing on the western most point of Roanhead on a sky blue clear day in perfect solitude staring at a setting sun between Haverigg and the far northern tip of Walney Island then running back into Barrow over the old Iron Works slag heap.
2. Crossing the Liverpool finish line last year in 3:59:37 - first sub 4.
3. Turning a corner in the Buenos Aires marathon to the sight of an Abba tribute band singing the last few choruses of Chiquitita which lifted me so much I just floated by, all the tiredness disappearing from my aching bones.

13/10/2012 at 20:09

does anyone else here run with music? i run always with my music on but not too sure its its good to in a race,btw if other ppl do,what do you listen to? my favs war of the worlds, 15 miler for me in morning,

13/10/2012 at 21:06
Thanks Lowrez, feels like the right decision already. And I've just entered Manchester Marathon to cheer me up a bit
Are you based in Barrow? I'm just up the road....
13/10/2012 at 21:21
War of worlds, good choice thought of that myself. Embarrisingly I hav a couple of tracks from Rocky soundtrack on my playlist that are great
14/10/2012 at 09:06

Hi Slokey, I'm from Barrow but live on The Wirral now, can't beat peninsualrs! Where are you? That run was many years ago now. Have you given us your top 3? Manchester sounds fast! I will definitely run it one day, but I'm gonna look for something a bit earlier in the year but could well end up entering as there usually isn't a lot in Jan/Feb.

Music - I do run with, but only in my mind, currently listening to Civil War by Guns n Roses, I prefer to be alert to what's going on around me, especially in the later stages of a marathon campaign when I switch to "all road" rather than cross country and trail earlier on. Music is such a lifter, I remember Breakfast in America pumping out on a section of the Berlin marathon taking away my pain. WotW is awesome; if you haven't been to the live show get a ticket!

14/10/2012 at 10:48
Hi lowrez I've just moved back to the Wirral after 7-8 years away! Are you part of a running club? Where do you find the best runs are I've only been back a couple of weeks and struggling to find variation just tend to go up to westkirby via thurstaston and caldy! Just been to watch the start of the run Liverpool marathon can't wait for our day now really looking forward to it!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.