Preston Guild Marathon

anyone tempted?

561 to 580 of 856 messages
17/10/2012 at 20:52

just done 8 mile run at 8.07 follows my 15 run last sunday at 8.10 so im well chuffed i might be ready.going to do 10 or 12 on sunday morn then thats me done,  ok help ppl plz  ,i road bike it to work 6 days a week 3mile there 3 mile home,should i put bike away from this weekend?

17/10/2012 at 20:56
Hi to all the couty council have been working on the drains and gullies on new hey lane at last today and flood water has gone so no need for flippers.If I was you I would not look to far ahead with weather as winds can change and so will the weather. Well good luck and I will see you all pass me at the marathon and half marathon split as I will be marshalling so lets hope for sun sun sun.
17/10/2012 at 21:21

Thanks for the info, I think I'm sorted now.  Is anyone leaving it until race morning to collect number?  It says 'at your own risk' - how risky is it going to be??? 

17/10/2012 at 22:04

I'll be travelling up to Lancashire on the Friday.... staying about 45min from Preston.  I think it will be good for me to see the town centre the day before, so I'll go to the expo to pick it up.

If you leave it to race day, who knows what the risk will be... but you hope that the organisers are just covering themselves in case havock is caused by some unexpected admin error ...  or a couple of key people call in sick on the Sunday morning.  They're open from (I think) 7am... so if you get there by 7.30, I'd expect you to be OK.   The downside is that if the queue is slow, you're on your feet for ages, and also feeling a little stressed, neither of which is ideal.

Is there no way that someone else can pick them up the day before?

17/10/2012 at 22:19
Rick, keep on cycling - it'll do you no harm - as long as you avoid the cars etc!!
18/10/2012 at 08:51

Thanks for the heads up alan

As for the weather reports, I think ive heard before that they are only really accurate up to five days before, the day they are forecasting and even then things can change. So don't fret about that just yet people.

And rick id go with Slokey joe and say your be fine to carry on cycling just take it easy over the last week no pushing yourself and im sure your be fine.

19/10/2012 at 11:28

weather.co.uk seems to be reasonably accurate (although of course, there are no certainties more than a few days out).  The 10 day forecast has just appeared.  It predicts a dry cool sunny day. South-westerly breeze above 10mph, which would be notable.  4 degrees the previous night, so won't be too much warmer a couple of hours after sunrise.

On balance, that wouldn't be a bad set of conditions.  Well... that's the prediction, so let's see how things develop under the next week or so.

19/10/2012 at 12:22

Not run since a grade 1 calf pull last Friday. Went for a sports massage yesterday and should be doing a bit of cycling this weekend with plenty of heat and stretches. Hopefully I'll be up for a couple of short runs of 2 to 3 miles by early next week and lined up on the start line a week on Sunday. This was my first experience of a sports massage and it's quite a panful experience especially with a tender calf.

19/10/2012 at 12:34

Fingers crossed hey RW

Thats bad news southport, i hope you manage to recover in time for the race!!

19/10/2012 at 16:09
Hi southport are you doing the series if its realy bad you can always drop down to the half and then have 3weeks to recover to do the Preston ten. I think you can change up until monday so have a good think over the weekend all the best see you in just over a week.
19/10/2012 at 17:26
Hi Alan I am doing the series and I've been training 6 months for this one, it's feeling a lot better today so I'm optimistic about making it at the moment.
19/10/2012 at 20:21

Do we really have to wait 9 more days? Starting to get itchy feet!

20/10/2012 at 08:01

I'm spending the taper on YouTube; never watched an episode of Seinfeld but this made me laugh:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khys7LfwT8c&feature=related

20/10/2012 at 09:19
Hi southport dont put yourself under to much pressure just tick over this week and massage both calfs as much as possible. And Sean you can get powder for your itchy feet from chemist Ha Ha. Good luck to you all and I'll see most of you at 8.5 miles and just over 20.
20/10/2012 at 16:41

Hi Southport, I had my first ever Sport Massage 3 weeks ago and found it soooo painful and that was without injuries!! Debating whether to go for another one this week, as I can claim the cost back!

I've not run all week - I've come down with a Viral Infection and a cluster of coldsores!! I never realised the effect tapering can have on your body!! Fingers crossed I'll be OK for next Sunday.

20/10/2012 at 17:21

I wish I was doing the marathon now!! I signed uo for the half instead as I thought I would still be recovering from the Loch Ness marathon 3 weeks ago. I am still recovering but have found it really difficult moving back to the increased pace. I am a much better half runner than full for some reason.

Anyway did 8 miles at 8min pace this morning, hopefully I can slow that down a touch and get a veteran PB (currently 1.47), not sure I can do 1.45 but hopefully 1.46 if my legs don't give up on me after Loch Ness.

Good luck to all of you doing the marathon, I might just sneak in by mistake!! Well maybe not!!

20/10/2012 at 17:30
If you wish to do the full email the organisers they may swap you to full up until tomorrow pm as they are swapping full to half.
20/10/2012 at 17:41

just done my last big run 13.5 thats me all done now till next sunday,cant wait now.

20/10/2012 at 19:07

Yep... me too, though not quite so far.

Funny that my Saturday morning run, at just 9.5 mile run, seemed just sooooo short. I felt a bit cheated!  I did try out the High5 gel out though.  Obviously not long enough run to see a benefit, but at least I was able to show that it didn't make me sick!

Just a very minor twinge in my quadricep... not pleasing, but sure that will be gone in a couple of days.

20/10/2012 at 19:31
12 more tomorrow for me. Wish the big day was tomorrow though. Tapering is a bit frustrating at huis stage. Getting some early carb loading in though!!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.