Preston Guild Marathon

anyone tempted?

801 to 820 of 856 messages
29/10/2012 at 20:46

I new Phil Walsh would get it right on the day and as spent many months in its planning, can't quite see the point in having the extra distance measured most who ran are not that bothered, the threads prove that.  take a well deserved rest now Phil me old mate, you are due one.  For all those first timers well done, now consider the North West flatest half on 7th April 2013, The Blackpool International Marathon & Half starting and finishing on the pitch at Blackpool FC . O'h and two good warm up half in the bargain, new Year half at Catforth 6th January (this fills up early December and The North Wests biggest half, the 24th Great North West Half on Blackpools North Promenade 24th  February with over 1500 runners. No card fee for online entries at fyldecoastrunning.org.  Yours in Sport.

29/10/2012 at 21:10

Confirmation of the ladies half marathon result:

First Sarah Ridehalgh

Second Victoria Broadbent

Third Emma Lund.

This is different to the result published online but is easily explained when you look at the finishing photos

29/10/2012 at 21:32
Hi Brian, I wondered why I saw a turn point marked earlier on the route than.where we turned. It is better that it was longer than shorter anyway and to be honest that's a small thing in what was a great race despite the weather
29/10/2012 at 23:01

Well done and thankyou for promptly explaining what happened Brian- hats off. The whole thing was a brilliant experience for my half marathon, and now I know the course was long, I did even better than I thought!

Thanks to all the marshals too, they were truly brill

29/10/2012 at 23:05
Great event, shame its not every year. Finished my marathon in 3:57 that's a new PB. Great support from marshals
vw1
30/10/2012 at 08:10

Annieshaf,

I can probably help with the 10 miler place as am still injured and will probably have to miss out. email me at vince.walker1@btinternet.com if your mate is interested.

30/10/2012 at 08:50
You need to check if transfers are permitted
30/10/2012 at 11:36
Best of luck to the guy doing 2 in 2 weeks for Sunday. You came at the perfect time for me with 10k to go & helped me up my pace & inspired me to push on & smashed my 3:45 target with a 3:41:16. With those hills I'm elated. Cheers
30/10/2012 at 11:53

Well done to all those that took part and a BIG thankyou to the organisers and the marshals for standing out in the rain while we had our FUN!!? running round.

30/10/2012 at 13:16

Oh dear on ladies finishing places, schoolboy error, if your going to swap numbers don't be so darn fast !!!!  Well done to all the ladies moving up a place, makes me wonder how many others weren't who they say they were.

30/10/2012 at 13:44
Beev wrote (see)

Oh dear on ladies finishing places, schoolboy error, if your going to swap numbers don't be so darn fast !!!!  Well done to all the ladies moving up a place, makes me wonder how many others weren't who they say they were.

Might it be possible for you, or someone, to clarify what happened?  Everyone is talking in code!

Edited: 30/10/2012 at 13:44
30/10/2012 at 13:46

Just take a look at the finishing photos, the third lady appears to actually be a man. Not so important unless you are in the running for a prize when it changes everything for the 4th lady.  Good spot organisers.

30/10/2012 at 14:10

I get what they mean check the race results and then official running photos for No. 5704 and you will see that, the name and the photo don't quite match up lol

What happens in this instance, im guessing whoever 5704 was will be disqualified, but will anything be said to this Beth Watson person ?

30/10/2012 at 14:17
Beev wrote (see)

Just take a look at the finishing photos, the third lady appears to actually be a man. Not so important unless you are in the running for a prize when it changes everything for the 4th lady.  Good spot organisers.

Ah.  It is runner 5704 who is listed as 3rd female home.  Looking at the photo, she's wearing a hat, so it's hard to tell : o )

Hopefully any misunderstandings were sorted out in good time to allow the rightful person to enjoy being 'on the podium' at the finish.

Edited: 30/10/2012 at 14:18
30/10/2012 at 14:17
Classic! Although I'm sure organisers would not be so amused if someone became ill during the race! If anyone fancies another challenge 2 weeks on Sunday, the Conwy half marathon including a proper hill round the Great Orme in Llandudno is a great race runwales.co.uk or the Nic Beer 10k round the Orme again in feb through the north Wales road runners website. Apologies for plugging this again but worth the journey if you can
30/10/2012 at 18:34

Of course the good lady may not have swapped her number - in the mini marathon my son's number is credited with someone else and he does not appear in the finishers list (chiptiming have corrected their list).

A challenging course for the half but would love to do it in better weather (and proper training). For such foul weather it was a great day - if you do it again (before the next Guild) I will be up for it.

30/10/2012 at 19:50

Rick Slater 2. Hit the hills! Forget the canal and hit the hills in training. The steeper and longer ascent the better. Choose a route which takes in the worst ascents but has benign descents if possible - or go slow down hill. If you are in Blackburn there must me loads of hills - Buncer Lane is ideal - and try off road too.

I used to avoid hills in training until some who lived in a flat area said that I was lucky and should make the most of them. So I did , and it certainly paid off for the Preston Marathon - for me it was flat as pancake and I can't understand all these comments about the route being hilly. Pah ! And I knocked 20 minutes off my PB - maybe not entirely due to hill training but I'm sure it was a big influence.

Hills = Free interval training. So, learn to love them and hit the hills !

30/10/2012 at 20:01

How much longer was the half marathon route?

30/10/2012 at 20:36
Hi fellow runners,

If anyone has or knows someone who has registered for the Preston 10 miler and has decided not to do it, I would like to do it please!

Thanks
30/10/2012 at 20:38

10kay, I'd measured it about .2 of mile long

801 to 820 of 856 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.