PROVISIONAL Helphire Bath Half-Marathon

621 to 640 of 745 messages
19/03/2005 at 17:08
How long does it take to get from Odd Down on the park and ride to the race start?
K2
19/03/2005 at 17:29
Hilly - I'm only guessing but I'd say 15 mins travelling time would be ok, plus waiting time.
19/03/2005 at 17:56
Hi everyone

I'll be there supporting, because its what I'm good at:-))
Will have some kids with me , I think, but not yet sure which ones.

Will try and meet you at the start.

Before the race begins we will move to see you all run past.

Last time we stood on your right down near the first set of lights before you go under the bridge. You will have run up from the start, round the corner and back in the same direction you came from:-)))
For the finish we'll stand on your left about halway down the finish straight.

Looking forward to cheering on as many of you as we can spot, hope you all have a great race.

BB

19/03/2005 at 18:33
Thanks K2. We're aiming to get there for 9am, so half an hour to the start including waiting time shouls see me there in plenty of time.

I just wish my back wasn't being a pain-literally!
K2
19/03/2005 at 18:37
Hilly - hope your back's ok tomorrow.

Good luck!
19/03/2005 at 19:47
Looking forward to tomorrow too. just wondered is anybody else still waitinf for their race merchandise? Boyfriend had ordered Tshirt back in Jan but still no sign - have tried emailing about it just to be told it was mailed out on 10 March! Shame as he was looking forward to getting one that fit for a change - thankfully I didn'y bother.
Blisters    pirate
19/03/2005 at 21:28
Boy Wonder - I hope that the sun has gone to bed and isn't planning to shine for 48 hours! Actually the weather sounds like it could be perfect.

Good luck everybody, meets ups beforehand at the info tent, and afters at the beer tent. Remember to only use you forum name!

Hope you're OK Hilly....
19/03/2005 at 22:04
yessir Blisters:-)))
20/03/2005 at 06:38
I'm setting off in about an hour from Dorset so I'll look out for those I can near the information tent if I can find it! Having never done Bath before I have no visualisation on where things are.

20/03/2005 at 09:05
weather looks great at moment... overcast, still and not too hot..
Wig
20/03/2005 at 13:33
May I be the first to congratulate the Race Director on a well organised and excellent race. Such an improvement on last year.
A much harder course than I remember though.
Still I got a pb at 1:26:55

20/03/2005 at 15:19
Well organised. But who said it was flat?! Enjoyed it greatly.
20/03/2005 at 16:24
great race as always. New pb by over three mins at 1:23:54 feeling very chuffed!
20/03/2005 at 16:47
Hi everyone !

Here here on the improved organisation - it also did'nt feel like the entry had been doubled.

1:32.11 - 4/10, but lots of excuses and happy just to have got round today (may reclassify as 'training run' !!)

A little under the weather, I set-off embalmed in Vicks and Oilbas, taking it easy but clock watching all the same - this done a little anxiously as the splits did'nt leave me too much "in the bank" if I were to dip under the magic 90 mins

All was OKish though, and better than expected all things considered - helped by the fine samba band and support on route and knowledge that I ALWAYS run well for the last part of the race (ho ho..)

And so came mile 8, which is normally when I wake up and get going, but when today the chicken flu caught up with me and I hit something of a wall (a first time experience). I tried to keep things together but things went from bad to worse v.quickly

Stupid oft - never race when not well !

Amazing what a difference a nap + several mugs of tea make. And I do rather like the medal (I have a weak spot..) and 'reflector' (the kids will pinch).

The wretched details :

1 6.47
2 6.40
3 6.52
4 6.51
5 6.52
6 6.57
7 6.43
8 6.52
9 7.06
10 6.49
11 7.14
12 7.17
13 7.14

13.24 miles according to the onboard computer. Hope Hilly, Blisters and others faired better..

PS One niggle for the organisers to address next year - loo paper ! By 9.30am some portab*gs had already run out. And is it possible to shoot those who line-up literally on the start line and then walk ??!
20/03/2005 at 16:56
oft, Working in the start/Finish area as I was, it certainly felt like the entries had doubled. But good fun on the other side of a race.
20/03/2005 at 17:12
+1½ miles - "twang"
-1½ miles - hobble back to finish area in time (just!) to watch everyone finish - gutted! Ice and alchol seem to be working!

Hilly - so sorry your back played up - just take it easy - rest up(?) for FLM.

Well done to everyone, it looked fun! Nice looking medal too :-((

Bath - I'll be back next year to at least try and finish :-))
RD
Blisters    pirate
20/03/2005 at 17:23
Bath Half Marathon race report

What a lovely day, perfect for running in fact. The organisers had put a lot of effort into resolving the root causes of last year’s problems – no postal strike, no rain, more tentage, more toilets, and a new attitude of insisting that the start time was sacrosanct. It was lovely to meet up with all sorts of forumites, and there’s a team photo somewhere.

At the start LLL, Hilly and myself squeezed up towards the front, but we couldn’t see Alan Pitt. It’s hard at the best of times, but impossible in a crowd. It took 5 seconds to cross the start line, so that’s not too bad. The first mile is gently downhill, and we are pretty much together. I heard Hilly’s name called within the first mile, but she had drifted behind me, and LLL was ahead. Mile 1 was reached in 6:35. I needed to reel in LLL and did that in the next mile, clocking a 6:15 I think. As the race progressed I noted that my mile times gently faded, so that all advantage that I had over target was annulled by halfway. A-n-y-w-a-y, at about mile 4 this short green thing buzzed by my ankles. It was Alan Pitt. There wasn’t much time for conversation, he just zipped past and was gone. I guess that he started a bit too far back and was now on an adrenaline rush. At mile 5 there’s a shout for Sarah, and a fit looking young lady in Lycra comes up against me. (I’m dreaming again, sorry). I discover that she wasn’t Sarah, but there was no denying that she was a brilliant advert for crop leggings. Pace upped a bit. (Elevated HR – possibly due to terrain).

Halfway and we are lapping people. I’m feeling good, but know that I’m off the target pace. I check reflections to see if I can spot LLL. I didn’t need to. I could sense his presence like a spirit in the night, tugging at my shadow, like some great dark gravitational force.

Mile 10 was reached in 65:45, spookily the same as at the Gloucester 10. It’s now that I need to relax and try to push in a 90% sort of fashion. I spy Not Sarah ahead, and make my way towards her assets. Spirits lifted. At mile 12 it’s time to think of the final push. There’s a holler of abuse from The Black Hole behind me. Lift pace on downhills. Give up on verbs. Push. The last mile is (you guessed it) a reverse of the first mile, i.e. uphill. 1000m or so left. Black Hole draws level. “I’m just about spent” he says. I give up on words. I need all my efforts in my legs. Try not to get dropped. No avail. 400m and still uphill. GO FOR THE MAX. Close back some. Final straight. He’s off, I am undone. 15 seconds the gap. (pb 1:26:19, by 1:36 margin). Also got trounced by Ratcatcher. Well done you.

Nice to meet everyone I met by the way. And good eatery located, well worth the "warm down walk".
20/03/2005 at 17:36
Very happy as got 2.09, when I was praying for 2.15! Really enjoyed the race (and the bunnies kept me smiling!) and thought it was very well organised but not very scenic so forest of dean for me next year (as my favourite distance now is half marathon, something I didn't imagine I would ever say)

Hope everyone else had a good one.

Any idea when official times will be on net?
20/03/2005 at 17:46
Hi,

Me & Mr Mitten were both V pleased with our 1:57:12. Good course, excellent marshalls & first aid etc but peeved that I didn't get a goody bag.

Anyone know who the company taking photos were?

Mitts x
20/03/2005 at 17:55
My 3rd in a row and by far the best , agree with all that "blisters" said above , only disapointment (apologies if its been mentioned ) No tee shirt ! I know they're not quite M+S quality but I like them all the same.
Crossed the line in a PB of 1.30.17 , improving by 2 mins every year , annoying close to my sub90 target again , much like my 10K sub 40 target that always seconds away........I suppose it wouldnt be quite the same without these frustrating goals !!
Lots of confidence for my fav 10K in 3 weeks now, ATLANTIC COLLEGE (South Wales)!!

621 to 640 of 745 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.