PROVISIONAL Helphire Bath Half-Marathon

681 to 700 of 745 messages
21/03/2005 at 13:31
CS - you should have got your @rse into gear and onto the start line earlier - with 5 or 6 thousand runners (and a similar number of supporters) it was always going to be a major crush for any one who left it until late to leave the rec. You shouldn't blame the organisers for your own failure to get yourself organised and onto the start in time.

I was a little suprised at the goody bag system - it was working well enough when I came through but I guess was likely to have become overwhelmed later. A friend of mine who ran his heart out and finished in 1:52 didn't get a chocolate bar (and all of mine was eaten by my lady friend!) but unlike some of the people griping and whinging on here it didn't ruin his entire day - we both enjoyed the event, we both thought it was well organised - we enjoyed Bath very much and hopefully we'll be back in future years. Well done again to the organisers and to the very many volunteer helpers out around the course.
21/03/2005 at 13:40
I think it would help if they split the competitors and the spectators out from the Rec and just funneled the runners up to the start.
21/03/2005 at 13:41
You should have been "well organised" and packed a banana and bar of chocolate in your kit bag ;-))

Someone was asking about photographers earlier - I don't know if they were the official photographers but I did see a reference on Sporting Gallery website that they were covering the Bath Half. I've just looked and there are no links yet. I run the Longleat 10k at which they took pics and would warn you that they are pretty slow at uploading. May be worth a look in a week or so.
21/03/2005 at 13:44
Agreed GMAC - and made it clear that the loos are for "RUNNERS ONLY!" - and one other thing I was surprised to be lapping quite so many people at the back of the field who for various reasons were finding it tough going but were showing enormous guts and determination – the effort being put in by many of the later finishers just to get round and finish no matter what was admirable.
21/03/2005 at 13:52
Graham-l.i.t. - I don't know in part of the country you live, but on the BBC local news last night, they showed a clip of a lady runner who, literally, fell over the finish line, the stretcher bearers picked her up straddling the finish line - it was a testiment to sheer guts and determination.
21/03/2005 at 14:01
RD- I'm down in Kent so I wouldn't have seen that - aside from all the good performances and PBs of yesterday there were a lot of unsung heroes - tried to say "Well done - keep going" to a lot of people who were clearly still finishing their first lap - have to say well done again to the organisers who were carefully shepherding some folk who looked to be at or near reaching their limit.
21/03/2005 at 14:42
A few comments.
I entered in some trepidation after reading last year's comments but overall it well.

I thought that the whole point of having chips was to give an accurate personal time (prizes awarded on gun to chip times as per rules). If the RFD (??) chip in number cannot do this then it is a retrograde step.
Plenty of 1st aid posts
Was hardly worth having the empty goodybag to put a banana in.
No water at the finish.
Lack of bins in the athletes village.
A seperate male and female changing tent would be better.

Only the lack of water at the finish is a really issue.

Missed the pre race meeting due to big queues at Bristol TM as 2 of the 4 fast ticket machines were out of order so i was one of the many who missed the 09.40 train.

Did 2.04 on my watch I think but managed to restart it whilst getting changed. Was ok upto 9m then had to go into walk 1 min run 4 mins mode.
Just managed to avoid being lapped before the 5 mile mark. I have seen the leaders going the other way down the Portway in the Bristol HM but it really brought home how fast the elite runners are when they overtake you like that.
The race has inspired me to go out and train harder to improve my 1.53.25 PB which I know that I can do if I put my mind to it.
21/03/2005 at 17:18
21 years after my first Bath Half, and this was my fastest race for 9 years; my only better time was ... Bath (1996), so I'm very pleased. This was my first half of the year, so I didn't really know what sort of form I was in; the next challenge is to go even faster at Paddock Wood in two weeks' time.

Oh yes, why were there energy drinks at 12.5 miles?
21/03/2005 at 17:28
And at 0.6 as well?
21/03/2005 at 17:58
I'm always amazed how so many people take so much pleasing!

Well done organisers for what I felt was a well organised race. Just a shame I had problems with my back and couldn't finish, but have to say the lift back to the start by SJA was much appreciated!

Thanks Stace. I'm sure a few days and I'll be full on training again!

RD, hope physio helps!
21/03/2005 at 19:32
Hows the back now hilly?

On the local news tonight it said that bath half numbers would be doubled next year!!

I was surprised how little I ached this morning, but the aches and stiffness have got worse as the day has gone on:-(
21/03/2005 at 20:04
Get some Radox in that bath Betty!.
21/03/2005 at 20:22
It's much better thanks Zoom:) Although there's still referred pain in my legs-sciatic I think.

I think the size Bath is now is just right. Too many more runners and it might be a problem on the second lap. Unless they change the course for one bit loop.
21/03/2005 at 20:32
...no way the entry can be doubled with the current set-up ! Money the driver no doubt ??
21/03/2005 at 22:43
Hello Glugg! Did you get your pint of abbeys after?! My hubby and I met my cousin and her hubby in Bristol the weekend before and I bought them a pint of abbeys then. He hasn't slept so well for months;-)
Blisters    pirate
21/03/2005 at 23:21
Having just checked the results there were 5537 finishers, and my time confirms that everything was gun to chip, as in previous years. It also says that JR LLL only took 9 seconds out of me, and that we were in the top 5%. A good result I would say.

Ratcatcher, what was your time?
21/03/2005 at 23:47
Hello Zoom. Several pints of Abbey thank you but due to lack of training from injuries and illness I did my worst half marathon time in 20 years of running. Feeling very fed up and thinking of retiring. You flew round like a greyhound and made us all green with envy!. Well done. Where are we all meeting next year?
22/03/2005 at 07:36
blisters, I think RC did 1:25:25 and was 3rd or 4th in her age.
22/03/2005 at 09:22
Mornin' all...
Still feeling Sunday's jaunt in my quads.
Just to let you Know The "Bath Chronicle" published the Gun times yesterday. That puts me 1.5 miutes slower than my watch.

Glugg...
Don't retire, how is that going to make the rset of us feel when your worst time is our "goal Times" - No Pressure!
Chin up. :o)
Stace.
22/03/2005 at 09:55
My time in the chronicle puts me the wrong side of two hours, My watch puts me the right side; I know which one I'll be using!
The start was a bit disorganised, I ended up about 3/4 way down the field, I didn't cross the start line for 5 minutes or so, and the first mile was barley a jog there were so many people. Whilst, the spectators really made the day, I'd rather the start was a little less congested so that I didn't have to rely on the support of the crowd in order to claw back the time lost!
Apart from that, everything was grand! I have to say that the amount of human spirit shown by my fellow runners was amazing, gives me a warm glow.
681 to 700 of 745 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.