Puma Stockport 10

Best race of the year

21 to 40 of 68 messages
05/11/2012 at 13:21

Hi

Looking at the course map which is on the website - I am hoping to run this soon so that I don't get any nasty surprises on the day!

This may be a stupid question but can anyone tell me if we are going to be running clockwise or anticlockwise (looking at the map).

Thank you

E

05/11/2012 at 13:27
Elin, if you live locally, ( even if you don't) there's a wed night group that's runs from woodbank that'll be covering the route, prob this week and others before the run. 7pm, free of charge, very very mixed ability, no one is left behind, very friendly.
06/11/2012 at 23:05

Elin - it's anticlockwise.

The start of the race is going to be quite amazing - I guarantee you'll be blown away with how it's going to be done!

06/11/2012 at 23:50
Is tony running this year or commentating again ? Cracked me up last year
08/11/2012 at 12:41

I hope Tony does commentate again. He was hilarious, if a bit manic at times, which made it even more funny. I hope they make sure there's a new battery in the radio mic. We don't want him coming across all fuzzy and Norman Collier do we?

I have to make an admission though - I didn't even know it was him until afterwards when I read it on the forum. His Del Boy sheepskin overcoat was a good disguise.

08/11/2012 at 19:23

Yes, Tony will be commentating again as 'John Motson'.

12/11/2012 at 13:15

Eric - thanks!

Sir John a lot - thanks a lot for the tip. Obviously missed last week but how do I find out about subsequent runs? Luckily we are local so hopefully we can join in. 

12/11/2012 at 13:19
Give me a call my email is jmrichar2007@yahoo.co.uk. Every wed at 7 pm from car park in woodbank. You're more than welcome
15/11/2012 at 21:12

My friend missed the entry, any one know of a spare place?

The Silent Assassin    pirate
16/11/2012 at 11:13

we have a sweep stake between 4 of us on how often Tony says "The PUMA Stockport 10"

My monies on 179 this year

16/11/2012 at 11:31
He could give us a rendition of the original ' goody bag in the Stockport 10'
16/11/2012 at 18:48

I signed up to this a month or so ago, and was really looking forward to it. I'm dead slow, but noticed that it advertised itself for any standard of runner, and there didn't seem to be any time limit, so thought I'd give it a go.

However, looking at the results from the past couple of years, I'm likely to come in last, or certainly somewhere down there. I'd love to get under 2 hours, but think 10 or 15 mins more is realistic, depending on conditions and how much of a killer the hills are.

Whilst I don't mind this in itself (well, not too much ) I am a bit worried about whether my pace will be a problem for the marshalls and organisers. I'd hate to feel like I was holding everyone up.

On my first 10k I finished 2nd to last, and the attitude of the organisers and the marshalls was very off putting. Several marshalls asked me if I was the last, or if they could leave, as I passed them. Some had already gone, so I got lost at least twice. I arrived to hear the compare announce 'if she's not the last I'm going anyway.'

I know people volunteer their time, and I do appreciate it. On my last 5k the marshalls were amazing, and helped me keep pushing. That is why I thought I'd check with people who had done the race before whether they thought my slow pace would be an issue for the organisers.

BTW - I have been training, and have run 15km twice now, I'm just naturally slow.

thanks

18/11/2012 at 11:35

Jane - there is no time limit and our marshals are by far the best from any race (just look at the comments year in year out).  We will probably have a bike accompanying the back markers and all marshals will be in position until everyone has gone through.  You will not be disappointed, I assure you!

18/11/2012 at 11:58

Thanks for getting back to me. I had seen some positive comments, which attracted me in the first place. I just wanted to check that my pace wouldn't cause issues - for me or you - and that I hadn't missed a time limit.

Now I just have those hills to worry about 

Looking forward to it.

18/11/2012 at 18:51

Jane, really don't worry about it, a lot of the marshalls are mates of mine and are very very friendly, the atmosphere at the race is superb and the marshalls are incredibly supportive.  Its a very friendly club, you won't be left behind. 

19/11/2012 at 03:27

Thanks for the reply, it sounds great. I'm getting really excited now.

Fingers crossed for decent weather.

The Silent Assassin    pirate
19/11/2012 at 16:17

Jane

This is one of the most friendly races you can do, think its something about how near to Christmas it is.

Cake describes it perfectly, its like the last day of term when you could bring your favorite toy into school

19/11/2012 at 17:32

Sounds great, thanks for the encouragement.

see you there

19/11/2012 at 18:02

I was wondering

20/11/2012 at 23:31
Kevin Foy, might have a pal who can't make it now, send me a message if you still want an entry.
21 to 40 of 68 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.