Race Report - City of Liverpool 10K

13th October 2002

8 messages
14/10/2002 at 11:42
Hello

Felt excited about this one as any sporting event I had taken part in in Liverpool had always been very competitive. The weather was a bit chilly I had difficulty staying warm before the race started.

Alan Black was doing a good job creating some atmosphere over the tannoy at the start of the race.

A lot of runners at the start but getting away wasn't too difficult as it was on a dual carriageway with two starts one for sub 45 and one for the rest.

I was hoping to get around the forty-minute mark, hit 1k in 4:10 and 2k in 8:08 now for the hill which I found extremely difficult in the Liverpool half marathon. Hit 3k in 12:38,

so I had lost 30 seconds up the hill, managed to claw some back going downhill to 4k at 16:25 (you never seem to get back down the hill what you loose going up it!). Big crowd lined the streets around 5k which I managed to get

through in 20:25. First time my hands had felt warm, but this was a bit slower than I had hoped for, so it was going to be difficult in the second half. I had practised running negative splits in training but not at this pace. Hit 6K in 24:38 and 7K at 28:56.

Breathing was getting quite heavy now and deep down I knew the 40 minute mark was probably out of reach. I still had a good chance of a new personal best.

Looking ahead on the flat sections there seemed to be loads and loads of runners in front of me. 8K was reached in 33:18 and 9K in 37:40.

Managed to complete the course in 41:30 (Offical time 41:40) so beat my personal best (previously 42:48 in the Mersey Tunnel event).

A very enjoyable race with a large field (2400 runners), big crowds, clearly visible kilometers markers and a flattish course. I hope to do this one again next year.

14/10/2002 at 11:50
BA, sounds like a good course (apart for the hill) Well done on your PB.
14/10/2002 at 13:00
Well done Tony - the PB is improving at an alarming rate!
Hope to be able to give this a go next year if it doesn't clash with Chester Zoo.

See you in 2 weeks time for last Seaside Run?
14/10/2002 at 13:49
Nice one mate,
COGRATS
14/10/2002 at 15:03
Hello

Thanks for your support chaps.

Mike

Yes, see you in two weeks.

14/10/2002 at 15:59
Well done Tony on your PB.
All the advice is to keep a training diary and to chart progress.
Nobody mentions charting your decline! Next year I will be an OAP and it is a little depressing to see the graph heading downhill.
I thought the course was great and the hill wasn't a problem, just the pace.
I managed 46-12 with an official time of 46-16 so I shouldn't complain. The event was very well organised and the result service is tremendous - full results on the net within hours of finishing.
Certainly an event worth supporting.
14/10/2002 at 16:26
Barbat
I've no idea what COGRATS are so CONGRATS!
and to you too Chris.
;-)
15/10/2002 at 09:57
Thanks Chris

The results service is great Joe Lee Computing do have things organised very well.

Dealing with a decline in performance can be difficult but I think you should be proud of your time, after all you are still running times that lots of others aspire to.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.