race times

6 messages
20/08/2002 at 10:05
isnt running great?
ive been running for over 20 years,and have always enjoyed it..
if you reach a level of fitness and maintain it over the years its a great feeling,and race times reflect that too.
eg: in 1982 i ran 3hr30min in glasgow marathon,,then in 2000 i ran the same race in 3hr 31mins...so 18years on and im still running consistently..what other sports can u say that would be posiible?
anyone else had results such as mine?
20/08/2002 at 12:59
I've been running 9 years and am happy to report that i'm still improving. Long may it continue!!
Baz
20/08/2002 at 22:09
I ran the Robin Hood 1/2M in 1984, as a splightly 23 year old, in 1hr 39min, & completed last year's Great North Run in the same time, as a still fairly splightly 40 year old.
28/08/2002 at 13:57
I've met a lot of runners in their 40's and many are still improving. I turned 45 last week and I'm still looking for PB's in all distances. Achieved a PB at 6 miles this year and want to PB at 10k later this year. I'll have to pick my Half Marathons carefully to get a PB. Florence in Italy starts at the top of a hill and finishes down in the main city centre. That's an option but I did it last year and couldn't dodge the slower runners near the start. The 4km downhill were my slowest of the whole race!
28/08/2002 at 16:27
Good for you Billy, I love hearing about people like you who're still improving. Someone posted last week about running in their 60's; seems there are plenty of years left in most of us yet.
28/08/2002 at 17:27
The other great incentive for the "more mature" runners is the age categorisation in races. As a new 45+ runner, I'm in a different category. However, I've noticed in race results that the 45-49 year olds often do better than the 40-44's!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.