Reading Half Marathon 2013

Who's in?

21 to 40 of 212 messages
22/01/2013 at 10:06
I seriously doubt if BM is running again andy - he didn't seem like he was enjoying it much last year plus struggling with relegation bit more stressful than gunning for promotion I'd imagine.

Do you know if the stadium is open before the race
22/01/2013 at 14:13

I'm in - it'll be my 4th Reading.  I'm doing Wokingham too in about 3 weeks time.  I'll be coming in around 2hr 15.  The first time I did Reading I was worried about being last with a time like that, but there were literally thousands of people finshing behind me.  It's a brilliant race - always good fun and loads of support too.  Training's been going OK and have a couple of 10 milers in the bag, plus hopefully Wokingham will stand me in good stead - I always find aI'm a minute or so faster at Reading than in Wokingham so we'll see!

22/01/2013 at 14:32

we've run it many times from front of pack and from back

a fab race, but the last 2 miles can be mentally sapping - especialy if one has used that much energy through the excitement of the early and middle miles

23/01/2013 at 08:39

You're right there Mick - I've done dozens of half-marathons, but I still get carried away at Reading, and start too fast!

Johnny - yes it is open beforehand.  They usually run the fun run (Green Park Challenge) before the main race to you can watch the fun-runners finish their event too.

23/01/2013 at 20:29
Ah good. Thanks andyp
23/01/2013 at 20:36

Following you back on Twitter BB.

Hope everyone's training is going well.  An enforced few days rest and a lighter week last week due to snow, but I hope to claw back some miles and put some effort sessions in soon to catch up!

26/01/2013 at 21:01

In case it is helpful - for anyone having childcare issues on race day, thought I would mention that Reading Half is now offering a creche service this year. Based in the hotel on site. Think it will be a fab addition to the event. So please spread the word if you know anyone that may benefit. Thanks  www.cherryblossom-creche.co.uk 

27/01/2013 at 16:58

I am pushing Dominic in this one-aiming for sub 1.40 maybe 1.35 weather allowing. Looking forward to it, the first 3 miles up to the university I find tough as pushing a wheelchair to the top of those couple of sharp hills is a little testing but once at the top we can really enjoy our race. Good luck to all running and please say hello on the route-will be wearing a Make A Wish shirt for this one as Dominic had a wish holiday last year.

29/01/2013 at 13:10

Sorry but what is this talk of free beer?

I'm in, I did 2 halves last year both off road (Uxbridge-Watford canal one and Letchworth Greenway Challenge) and finished them both in 1hour 49. Initially I was aiming for sub 1hr 40 but my current comparitive lack of fitness means I'm just aiming for a PB.

29/01/2013 at 15:53
@2wheels There's a pub on the route at around 8 miles I think, just before a nice hill, that puts out a table with beer and pub snacks on it. I'm sure plenty of folk incorporate it into their challenge but the one year I partook it slowed me down and made me want to have a pint instead of finishing the race.
01/02/2013 at 11:31

It's the Nag's Head on the corner of Oxford Road and Russell Street

01/02/2013 at 11:46

4th Reading for me - gradually chipping away at the time 2h33 2h08 and 2h03... Ever hopefull that I will break 2 hours before im 50 (3 years to go!). 

Im a Reading girl and really look forward to this race.

Edited: 01/02/2013 at 11:47
01/02/2013 at 12:07

I'm liking the beer talk. If I'm as unfit as I feel now then I'll be stopping for 1 or 2!

Joking aside, for those that have done it before, where is a good sopt for a spectator and how easy is it to find people in the stadium after the finish?

01/02/2013 at 12:20

A good spot for spectators is the Tilehurst Road Castle Street Junction as they can see you at around mile 8 and then again at 10.5 by just walking 100 meters up the road-it is also very easy to find people at the end as the stadium is easy to navigate with block numbers etc and only two sides are open so nice and simple. Baggage can be a little hectic depending on your finish time so if you have the option leave it with your family/friends.

01/02/2013 at 16:08

3rd time at Reading.

Done my PB here in 2010 and may have beat it last year but for a horrible bout of chicken pox which struck 10 days before the race. Not sure I am in such good shape but will  be sticking to the 1hr40 pacemaker like glue for as long as possible.

Oh and for first timers the roar as you enter the Madjeski is fantastic - really feels like an end to a Major Championship Marathon

02/02/2013 at 11:49
Paul Chandler 4 wrote (see)

A good spot for spectators is the Tilehurst Road Castle Street Junction as they can see you at around mile 8 and then again at 10.5 by just walking 100 meters up the road-it is also very easy to find people at the end as the stadium is easy to navigate with block numbers etc and only two sides are open so nice and simple. Baggage can be a little hectic depending on your finish time so if you have the option leave it with your family/friends.

Thanks Paul!

13/02/2013 at 09:37

I'm in.  This will be the first time I've run Reading and I haven't run a half in a while.  Aiming for sub 1:50 ideally, but think I need to use the next 5 weeks to work on my speed.  No beer for me if I want any chance of achieving this time.  I'm getting really excited about this one as the stadium finish sounds amazing.  

Has anyone who's done this before used the pace makers and did it help you?

Hope the training is going well for you all.

Ruth 

13/02/2013 at 09:42

When do we get our racepacks for this????

13/02/2013 at 10:01
Hi RuthMac. Yes I've used the Pacemakers. Last year I decided to start with the 2:05 pace group and see if I could catch up with the 2:00 pace group, which I did about half way round and ended up with the 1:55ers in my sights.
As with all these big events with pacers you do get this cork in a bottle effect with pace makers and sometimes they can be so driven by making their time that they weave and dodge quite a bit (that was the case for me at Royal Parks Half where the pacer I was following sped up and slowed down and zig-zagged all over the place). You won't miss them, they're carrying big sticks I think.

========

I have the fear a bit for this one. Been managing bad knees by reducing running to twice a week. They'll be no PB for me.
14/02/2013 at 16:34

Thanks for that...I'll try not to get obsessed about following them then and run my own race, but will be happy if I see the 1:50 pace maker on my travels.  

Sorry that bad knees have reduced your training...hopefully you'll be able to just enjoy the run anyway.  Still it's pretty good to be getting out at all with bad knees so I would could that as a bonus .

21 to 40 of 212 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.