Reading Half Marathon

err help! Enter! How?

1 to 20 of 73 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/10/2002 at 22:23
Hello every bods!
I've said I will do the Reading Half (even got pledges of dosh for charity already!) but need to know about entry proceedure for a large event like this.
Do I get an entry in ASAP?
Is there a ballot or something?
and who else is hoping to run this year!
14/10/2002 at 22:52
yeah when
I might do this
Trogs    pirate
15/10/2002 at 00:34
Did Reading last year. Might do it again, depends if I get into London and when it (Reading) is. Last year was on 10/3 and all details were on the website www.readinghalfmarathon.co.uk I've not looked at the site recently so don't know if it's been updated for next years yet.
15/10/2002 at 06:58
Anyone doing the Amsterdam Marathon on Sunday, 20 October. I am and you will spot me sporting my Maidenhead club vest.

If you have done this before it would be great to hear from you.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
15/10/2002 at 08:19
Reading has started to update ther site ... 9/3 9.30AM start!
Benz it would be great if you could come down!
Murf I live in Reading so know that it does have a hilly course but how bad is it? BK said that the organisation was not too good last year... any comments you care to share?
Cheers
EP
BK
15/10/2002 at 08:33
It was bad, but not bad enough to stop me doing it again. The baggage disposal was the biggest nightmare so if you can find a way of not having any then that would be an advantage. I haven't seen any sign of enteries being welcome yet but I'll keep an eye out.

Would be good to see you all there in your club vests
15/10/2002 at 08:33
EP, you're even crazier than I thought! There you are on another thread lamenting the fact that you can't run for more than 20 mins, and here you are entering a half! My admiration for your ba*ll* is endless.
15/10/2002 at 08:37
It's not till March, so you've got stacks of time. Nearer the date the website will (presumably) switch to this from whatever other event it currently redirects you to. You'll be able to enter online, which is nice and easy.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
15/10/2002 at 08:37
well yes Sassie I am mad! that's why 20 min sin one go annoys me, I used to be a very competative and good horse rider so being what I term as bad at running (even though I know that 20 is actually good statistically accross the country!) gets me annoyed! I want to do better and I AM doing the hafl ... got sponsorship already and v-rap is one so I have to do it!!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
15/10/2002 at 08:39
is it first come first served for entries or what?! Sorry new to this!
15/10/2002 at 09:11
You'd be well advised to enter in advance. It's a big event and was full this year. Some would say it was overcrowded. As for timing, I'm sure you'll be alerted either in the RW mag or on this forum.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
15/10/2002 at 09:13
cheers Muttley!
iron fraggle    pirate
15/10/2002 at 09:34
I'm doing it too EP, as the route goes fairly near home, and past junior fraggles nursery school, which I'm going to raise some dosh for (he starts primary in April!!)
Will be there with my club vest on (or long sleeve depending on the weather!) - maybe we shoud pre-book Ninos in towm for a pasta party?!!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
15/10/2002 at 09:41
good idea Fraggle .... how many other forums members are attending as I am the only one listed on the club website
The Evil Pixie    pirate
15/10/2002 at 12:11
Update: goto

http://www.reading.gov.uk/culture-leisure/halfmarathon/

For a brochure
15/10/2002 at 14:24
I miht do this, as it would be easier transport wise than Coniston, and I dont think i should do both
The Evil Pixie    pirate
15/10/2002 at 19:45
Reading Benz you know you want to just to see BK!
15/10/2002 at 23:47
I do, youre right
He may well be at Brighton, tremble!
Trogs    pirate
16/10/2002 at 00:23
Late as always!

EP - I don't recall the exact route but yes there were a couple of steepish hills. One was fairly short but quite steep; another if I remember rightly was up around the Uni campus.

As BK has already said the worst bit from the organisational point of view was the baggage store, it was a real choke point and took forever to get into to the point where they had to delay the start cos people were still trying to deposit their bags. Once at the front of the queue the set up was very good with bags nicely ordered by running number. The start was overcrowded with the normal number of people standing at the wrong place but then again the time markers were not particularly visible.

It was my first half and I did quite enjoy it so I may well do it again except that I've sort of commited to the Salisbury 'Race for us all to meet' which I think is the week before and I'm not sure I can manage two half's on consecutive weekends.
BK
16/10/2002 at 08:36
Oi, EP, BZ pack it in.

Of course you can Murf. I'm doing both
1 to 20 of 73 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.