RH-Half - How fast should I go?

3 messages
05/09/2002 at 22:03
Hi,
Would appreciate some advice, as I'm about to run my first half-marathon(Robin Hood).
I've been running several years (PB for 10k about 41 mins), but never done a half-marathon.
My training has been going well and I feel pretty good, but not sure how to pace myself. I was originally thinking of aiming for around 1:35-1:40 pace, but I see that there are RW Pacesetters, and I'm debating whether to go for the 1:30 pace. (My company is sponsoring the event so I'm keen to put on a good effort in front of lots of friends and family!).
I ran most of the course yesterday and realised the middle section is pretty hilly (I think I have spent too much time running along the river and towpaths).
Any thoughts on whether a 1:30 pace will kill me? I don't want to run 10 miles and then collapse. How much "extra" might I get from race conditions (eg support, drinks, good prep, etc)? Any help appreciated.

05/09/2002 at 23:01
Paul,

The following link may be useful to you:

http://www.onrunning.com/trainingcamp/predictor.asp

Based on your 10k time a 1:30 1/2 is a realistic goal.

At the start of last year my 10k PB was just under 41 minutes. Ended up with a sub 1:25 1/2 marathon PB.

The Robin Hood is not that hilly, especially when you're racing. The downhill parts are very fast which compensates.

Go for it!
06/09/2002 at 01:17
Hi Paul,

Listen to Drew, a very knowledgable forumite in my opinion. I would go along with the view that a 1:30 is very realistic. Maybe go with the pacing group, but dont be surprised if you feel strong and push on yourself in the last couple of miles.

I understand that there are a few thousand runners in this race, so finding the RW pacing group of 1:30 at the start would also be a good plan.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.