Road closure - direction of vehicle travel

Should vehicles on road closures travel in the same direction as runners.

4 messages
04/12/2012 at 22:43

We are having to apply for formal road closure this year. Whereas in the past where runners have shared the same road we have always directed vehicles to travel in the opposite lane against the flow of runners. However, the Council suggest that if we want to do this we should put cones along the route every nine metres, which would be very costly. However they have also suggested that if vehicles are directed in the same direction as runners but on the other side of the road around the route then there would be no need for cones. Can anyone offer any advice about this. What is the norm and does having runners and vehicles travelling in the same direction as vehicles work? 

05/12/2012 at 09:03

I cant say Im an expert and Im sure others can offer better advice, but the few HM's ive been involved with I've always run WITH the traffic. Ive never ran head on (or against the flow) of traffic. Cars usually then just hang around behind you until there is a gap and then pass you. Oh and no cones were used, so the council advice sounds pretty much like the norm to me.

Edited: 05/12/2012 at 09:04
05/12/2012 at 10:22

Large groups of runners should travel in the same direction as the traffic as per the highway code.

I have seen cones used in races, eg where there are two carriage ways and one has been segregated for runners only. This works well at the start of a race where the runners are still bunched up and taking up a lot of room.

05/12/2012 at 19:16

Thanks for the comments. I must admit that I didn't know that the Highway Code had a rule about this.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.