Rotary Shakespeare MARATHON

To be or not to be....

1 to 20 of 685 messages
01/10/2010 at 15:52

It's that time of the year again when I feel optimistic about my running and toy with the idea of entering my local marathon. Last year I gave into temptation and took the plunge. I really enjoyed the race but said at the finish that, having made it round and performed reasonably well, there was no reason for me to ever do another one. Hmmm....

Anyone going to enter this?!

(sorry about the obligatory Shakespeare quote)

01/10/2010 at 16:33

I'm doing VLM but as there is more of a gap next year between the two then I might give this a go. 

I ran the half back in 2005 and it is still my PB (hopefully rectify that in just over a week).  Lovely course apart from one hill about half way around and great support.

01/10/2010 at 17:09
Yep doing it again. Please don't be as hot as last year!
04/10/2010 at 17:32
I'm in. I got my 7th consecutive rejection from London and decided I should look for an alternative. This is my first marathon and I'm not getting any younger. I have done lots of halfs but have been, does it sound weird if I say "saving myself" for London?
04/10/2010 at 17:35
Martin H said about 1 hill. How is the rest of the course? Is it PB territory? If not how much longer than your PB would you expect to take?
04/10/2010 at 17:39
just like mat its going to be my first full marathon after doing several halves ive heard the greenway section is a soul searching 6 miles can anyone enlighten me on this?. oh well enjoy christmas then the work begins!!
04/10/2010 at 17:40
not particularly hilly but the second lap on the greenway in the heat was a killer last year
04/10/2010 at 17:43
I've heard about the Greenway, what kind of surface does it have?
04/10/2010 at 17:45
i think its gravel but im not sure
04/10/2010 at 18:54
Ahhh... I found this on the official site:

13 - What is the surface like on the Greenway?
The track is fine bound grit – not loose. It is a level surface.

There's also info about the profile, which doesn't look too bad. Just one hill which you do twice.
04/10/2010 at 19:05
nice 1 mat ive been reading the race reviews on this site for this year and most people mention the greenway so it looks an interesting challenge!!
04/10/2010 at 19:17
Believe me it was. Just look how many non finishers there were. The greenway was like running in glue with heat reflecting up at you under a hot sun. I was thirty minutes faster in my next marathon. Despite the difficulty it with out doubt a brilliant marathon and one I will always run in.
04/10/2010 at 19:36
Matt - its a beautiful course and a great event. Its not especially hilly, but it had more uphills than I was expecting. Last year we had a headwind on the outbound (uphill section) and quite a hot day (I was warned many times that this race is ALWAYS held on the "hottest day of the year so far" ).

With good training, you could get a good time out of this course if you knew what to expect, but do factor hot weather and a few inclines into your planning.
07/10/2010 at 12:36

Last year's RSM was my first. The hills were a bit of a test but not too bad. The Greenway was awful. Not so much soul-searching as soul-destroying. It's just a long straight track which I reckoned I would take in my stride. The first circuit was OK - I was feeling fresh and confident and it didn't seem too long. The second time around you join it further out and it seems to stretch out ahead of you as if it's going on forever. Add the heat to that and you begin to see why it was such a beast. Not only did a lot of people not finish but even those that did nearly all said their times were much slower than expected. Given that this year's race is two weeks later I confess to being very nervous about entering again. I'll make my mind up by the end of the year but I suspect the prospect of the Greenway in the heat of early May will make me enter something earlier in the year instead.

As for the Greenway surface, it was absolutely fine in dry conditions. If it rains a lot before the event or on the day I guess it might be a bit stickier, but it should be fairly well drained given that it's on an old railway line.

07/10/2010 at 13:46

Does anybody know the lengh of each of the laps in RSM? The map on the website suggests one lap is longer than the other but I could not find details of how many miles each one is.  Thanks.

07/10/2010 at 14:01

I did the half last year and I didn't think it was a particularly tough course physically, the hill was hard but if you keep on thinking 'the pain will stop at the top' you'll be ok.

The Greenway is an old railway line and was white crushed stone. Ok in the dry, might be a bit sticky in the wet.  It is soul destroying though, largely straight and flat, you don't feel like you are moving.  It's awful. The colour reflects the sun back at you too.

Katy I beleive the spilt point is at about 12 miles, and on the 2nd lap you join the Greenway a couple of miles further back. 

I'm tempted next year, but reckon the Greenway may be enough to make want to end it all if it's hot

07/10/2010 at 17:04
that greenway section really sounds dreadful but ive entered now so theres no turning back now!!!
07/10/2010 at 17:20

I've ran this twice, this year and last year.

The Greenway is basically an old, disused railway line - the surface is white, pebbly and dusty. When the sun is blazing on it (and it did this year and last year), it felt like a desert land. I'm not exaggerating - blinding!

I echo the above comment about the 'soul destroying' aspect of it. Obviously you've got to be mentally tough to even run a Mara, but to get through 2 laps of that Greenway... something else in my book. 

Excellent Mara though - can't fault it, will be back again next year once Abo is put to rest. 

Edited: 07/10/2010 at 17:22
08/10/2010 at 16:27

Thanks for your advice.

I have ran London 3 times yet I still felt I was not real marathon runner. I thought it was time to do one without the hype to see if I have what it takes. From what you all say about the greenway this could be just the challenge I need. .

09/10/2010 at 02:49
Hi folks. Booked hotel and entered for race. Have run new york mara in 3.20. Is this harder?
1 to 20 of 685 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.