Rotary Shakespeare Marathon

Run this before

21 to 40 of 122 messages
Blisters    pirate
14/03/2013 at 22:30

Like I said, it's been a long time. Dartmore Vale I think, you ran with Blind Dave.

My Iron distance race is in Henley in September, but 12 months ago I was pretty much a non-swimmer and only had an old commuter/tourer bike. Oh yes, and I'd been retired from running for a couple of years. It took a while to break the addiction to marathon training for peak performance. Now my motto is to "Complete not compete".

I reckon I am ready enough to complete a marathon at a moment's notice, I actually managed to swim the 3.8km this week, albeit in a pool, but the bike is not yet up to distance. Of course, one has still to put it together.

14/03/2013 at 22:59

Impressive!  I've sometimes thought I'd love to complete an Ironman - but then I wonder how on earth I'd fit in all the training and how I'd be able to run 26 miles after all that swimming and cycling.  Plus, like you were 12 months ago, my swimming is nothing to shout about.  I used to do a fair bit of cycling years ago but since kids haven't done more than a few miles here or there.  Reading your post makes me think maybe its not so unachievable after all - although obviously I have no idea how much effort it took to get the swimming sorted, or what kind of level of running you were / are at! 

re my training plan - I can see why it sounded like a 'get you round' job. Its actually a compressed version of their 18 week schedule, for when you've left it a bit late to start ramping things up.  Even the 18 weeks only does 3 20 mile runs - makes up for the others with longer tempos and longer midweek runs than other (eg RW) schedules I've seen, plus 'marathon pace' runs of eg 16 miles with 12 at mp.  Anyway I'll see if it works!

Looks like RW still need to bestow the pirate logo on your postings - or do they only do that after you've completed the IM?

15/03/2013 at 13:13

Blisters - that was years ago that I guided blind Paul round DMV, my arm was sore for weeks dragging him up that good Devon hill at Chudleigh.

I'm sure you've got your IM training planned to perfection so it will all come together on race day.   I'm not tempted

Blisters    pirate
15/03/2013 at 22:27

Planned? Sorry, I just need to pick myself up from the floor I was laughing so much.

Triathlon is even more an all inclusive sport than HM/10k/Parkrun running. Especially at the 400m swim type events. The HIM and IM ones have cut offs, just like marathons. That way the marshalls are allowed to go home.

Oops. Email from the Boss. Please can I finish today's work. Must go.

17/03/2013 at 08:08

hi there - is anyone driving through from Birmingham?  I am trying to avoid buying a hotel room as there's only a short distance from Birmingham to Stratford Upon Avon.  I would be happy to pay some of the petrol or recovery lunch after!    Can anyone get in touch if they fancy being environmentally friendly and car-share?  Thanks!  Ewan

24/03/2013 at 10:52

Hi suedeheadscot, I will be driving down from central Birmingham for the full Stratford-upon-Avon marathon, and I would be happy to give you a lift. A recovery lunch sounds superb! Send me a private message with your number and we can arrange a meet-up point in Brum. Cheers!

Blisters    pirate
03/04/2013 at 12:57

Quick update.

Who's in for the fulll marathon? How's training going?

03/04/2013 at 22:18
I'm in! Training was going pretty well until the beginning of March. Ran a PB in a HM of 1:49 then got the flu so missed nearly two weeks of training, just when I was meant to be ramping up the miles. I feel okay now, I've done a 14 mile XC race and 17 mile off road training run since then. I'm doing my last 20 miler at the weekend. I so want to break 4 hours but my confidence has taken a knock so we'll see. I've missed quite a bit of speed work, I just hope the stamina is there!

How about everyone else?
GTC
04/04/2013 at 12:28

Tiny request - if you are doing the Shakespeare Marathon would you please consider participating in my study which you can find on the Spring marathon thread as MSc Research Project requires marathon runners - no electrodes!

It's about using a positively focused self-talk technique to increase your resilience and positive affect (that's the strong positive moods that you can control).

It is straightforward and might just provide an additional tool to conquer the mental aspects of tackling  a marathon. Drop me a line if you would like more details.

Cheers.

GTC
13/04/2013 at 18:39

Well, Im in, entered on Friday. 

Been doing some long runs so hoping to complete it, done the Rhayader 20 last month. 

The good news is, you won't now be last 

Does the course go along by the Race course past them train carriage caffe? 

Crash Hamster    pirate
15/04/2013 at 13:55

Less than 2 weeks to go!

Yes, Paul, it's straight along the Greenway.

Top tip for running the Greenway; wear sunglasses if it's sunny then it's not dazzling at all I've never understood whty this section comes in for such grief; it's pretty much all gently downhill for the last 6 miles

If anyone wants to look at the route, there's a public copy on Fetch http://www.fetcheveryone.com/route-92153

With Blisters in, I won't even be first Pirate

15/04/2013 at 14:52

Please let me know if anyone wants a place in this.  I have one going.  It can be transferred up to 21st April i think.

15/04/2013 at 15:02

I also still have a place available. Make me an offer!

Blisters    pirate
15/04/2013 at 23:20

Yay Crashie!

I will indeed be wearing the full pirate attire, although finding an eye patch is proving to be a challenge. It may cause some amusement, but I have finally decided to start doing some training. Not too much. A week should be just about manageable.

All the talk about the Greenway, FFS you should have seen Dartmoor Vale. Billed as flat and fast it dragged uphill for a solid mile before turning a corner and granting you a 1 in 8 bitch of a climb. That was before the rolling part started. For a fun factor they gave you two laps. I remain scarred.
Long flat and rural I can cope with.

15/04/2013 at 23:52
Is there a time limit for this? If I stumble around in 5 hours will the finish line still be there?
16/04/2013 at 07:47
I think the time limit is 6 hours.
16/04/2013 at 12:10

I'm entered for this - and until last Thursday training was going very nicely thankyou. Had a run then and following that right ankle and achilles area started hurting, and it's only got worse since. 

From a bit of internet diagnosis it's tendonitis but at the moment I'm struggling to walk, let alone run.

Current thought is that it came on quickly and it can go away in the same way. The taper has started a bit earlier than planned but that's it for now.

16/04/2013 at 13:59
Thanks Suzie, I found another discussion on the forum where a strict 6 hours was mentioned. In fact there's a cut off at 11 miles where if you're not there in time you get shunted to the half marathon finish. That was 2011 so if its the same now, I'll have a crack at it.

I targeted a 5 hour Rotterdam marathon last Sunday (previously having done 5:11 and 5:18. I ran the first 15km at a silly pace (for me), then crashed and burned with severe calf cramps all the way home from half way. Ended with 5:23 after doing way more training than my previous two attempts. Very disappointing. Most training = worst time.

I'm keen to use this training to run another at a more sensible pace rather than wait until next year and this race is two weeks after Rotterdam. However, if Im to break this 5 hour hoodoo, I wonder how much the hill in this course is going to add to my time. Anyone got a rough idea how much it adds to a PB?

I'm going to be driving up from the south coast with a goal to beat 5 hours (for the run not the drive!) If I'm already dead in the water please put me out of my misery now, I'm already depressed and don't need another failure!
Crash Hamster    pirate
16/04/2013 at 14:45

The hill is certainly a decent climb, but the profile on Fetch that I linked to above shows a total climb of 190ish metres; that's really not lumpy at all. It shouldn't cost you too much over Rotterdam. Go out easy and you should have a better second half

17/04/2013 at 12:59

Hello all this will be my first marathon so really getting quite excited now as the date approaches. Apart from a slight twist to the ankle a few weeks ago the training has gone really well, just hope it's not too hot on the day as I've got used to this lovely cold air!

As an aside I don't suppose anyone is travelling near the Brackley/Banbury area and would like someone to share the fuel costs? M son has a party to attend and my wife would spend a lot of time in the car if we both get wheat we want  I'll contact my local running club but thought i'd try here first.

21 to 40 of 122 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.