Rotterdam 2009

81 to 100 of 177 messages
16/03/2009 at 14:49

Hi guys.

Any of you know whether Rotterdam has mile markers or just kilometres ?

I tried at Berlin, and found it so difficult to think of pacing in terms of time per km. So then atParis, I made a real effort to memorise targets for key splits in kms....... and when it came to the race, they had mile markers aswell !

16/03/2009 at 15:16

Not sure, but I'd expect markers to be in km only....

My plan is to set my Garmin to show me my average miles/minute pace so I don't need to convert pacing. The other thing you could do is download a pacing bracelet thingy from this site in km for your intended time, that way you don't need to recalculate on the fly or memorise anything.

16/03/2009 at 15:18

Vixx, I'm hoping to push my way toward the front of the pen - would you be happy there? Not sure how big the pens are going to be anyway, so it probably doesn't matter that much. Would be nice to meet someone from the site - I've been at races that others from RW are also at, but never managed to meet anyone!

16/03/2009 at 17:17

Metronome: I did the Amsterdam half-marathon last Autumn, and don't remember seeing any mile indicators, just kms (same course as the marathon). The Rotterdam online course map is only in km too, I think.

Having lived in Belgium for 10 years, I'm pretty much metricated now (is that a word?!), so I'll be happy with km markers. I'm another Garmin user, so will set my own pace from that.

Just did a 30km (19 miles) this pm, that was hard work, I'm looking forward to this tapering I've heard all about!

16/03/2009 at 18:04

Thanks, Rebekah & Simon.

Sounds like I'm going to have to think metric for this one, then. It's just so tricky clocking a split at, say, 15km, and trying to convert that to what it equates to in mins & secs per mile. Wastes vital mental energy, too !

16/03/2009 at 19:40
I don't know, it might distract you from the pain! On bad days I try to calculate how fast my next 5k split needs to be in order to increase my average speed by xxx - very effective distraction!
17/03/2009 at 10:33

Hi RJ, SCJW, SG & V76.

I'll be travelling from London to Rotterdam by train, and staying at the Domina hotel, Energieweg, 2.

Any of you guys ever done Rotterdam before ? Or know anyone who has ?

Sean.

17/03/2009 at 17:25

Sean, I've never done a marathon before, let alone Rotterdam! I looked at the Domina, looks like a nice place, but in the end decided on H2otel. 

My Mum has just swung by with early birthday pressies for me   Looks like I will be NikeGirl, a bit more up market than the Aldi/Lidl Girl I was going to be . She got them to me now so I can check they don't chafe, bless! Top, capri and socks!

A little four mile jaunt with the dog today. Her last trip out before the marathon as she almost caused me to turn my ankle in a pothole , it just isn't safe out there......I'm going to bed until April.

Hope all's well with all of you - just 18 days 16 hours to go.........

17/03/2009 at 17:38

always good to have some new running stuff to strengthen motivation.

I had to google image 'capri' to find out what you were talking about - they are 3/4 leggings, right? Either that or you've been given a very nice island!

17/03/2009 at 17:45

I've just discovered Fetcheveryone.com (which is also owned by Runners' World) ... yes, I know, a bit slow to catch on. Anyway, I really like the race portfolio feature where you can enter races you've done or are planning to do. Signed up for Rotterdam - 11 others on the board are also going, so maybe we won't be the only Brits there!

www.fetcheveryone.com 

17/03/2009 at 17:47

The very nice island, of course - it only just fits though and I am worried it might get a bit heavy

They is wimmins' clothing, at least I've never seen a fella in 3/4 leggings (aka capris); you have learnt something new today, so I feel I have done something useful!

17/03/2009 at 23:02
simoncjw wrote (see)

I had to google image 'capri' to find out what you were talking about - they are 3/4 leggings, right? Either that or you've been given a very nice island!

Just don't google image for Domina . Think I'm in the Hilton near the start/finish - I say think as I can't remember and probably likely to have a last minute panic trying to find the booking confimation. 

I seen plenty of blokes wearing 3/4 leggins. The salomon adverts make you want a pair but I don't think I'd have the nerve!

and Heyup Sean, the crowd seems to be expanding at last. We'll soon be able to give that 2006 thread a run for their money!

Edited: 17/03/2009 at 23:02
18/03/2009 at 11:37

LOL Steve, but very true - especially do not do the google image search for Domina while in the office!

You definitely booked the Hilton - and at a very good price. Just print the part of this thread where you told us about it - and I'll vouch for you, I'm sure there won't be a problem then

Last things on my to do list - travel insurance and euros (and check I really can pack everything into hand luggage!). I have my confrmation letter, hotel booking and flight info with my Passport so I don't lose anything......

18/03/2009 at 15:48

Hi Simon.

Found the race portfoilio on Fetch. (Just added myself - I'm 'Anderson'). But have you actually been in contact with any of those 11 ? I couldn't find a Rotterdam Forum thread there......

19/03/2009 at 11:13

Just been informed by info@fortismarathonrotterdam.nl that it's km markers only.

So we're going to have to convert our target pace from time per mile to time per km.

Of course, what they DON'T say is whether the km markers are actually accurate !

Bedders..    pirate
19/03/2009 at 12:54
Good luck to everyone here. I ran this in 2007 and it was a great marathon. A few things I remember:

- the last 10-12km is around a wooded area and it is a bit boring with few crowds so by that point try and run with someone else or in a group to keep you all going.
- markers are good and the aid stations are easy to see
- it's as flat as a pancake so PB's all round!
- the expo is a litle small
- enjoy the mixed showers at the end.....
19/03/2009 at 21:54

thanks for the insider tips Bedders!

Not sure I'll be in any condition to notice the surroundings for the last 10-12 km, but thanks for the advice, actually a wooded run sounds quite nice at that stage!

Let's hope everyone practices their mental arithmetic... and no-one needs the aid stations!

20/03/2009 at 10:04

Hi, Bedders !

How did you get on in 2007 ? Those of us who did London that year were stuffed by the second hottest London on record - and those who had done Paris the previous week had it even worse : 28 degrees C !!!. What was it like in Rotterdam ?

Can you remember :

- How constricted/ congested was it at the start - and did you have to fight your way through hordes of slower runners who had put down a faster bay than appropriate ?

- km markers every km ? or just every 5km ?

..... and what does it mean when you appear on this forum as a 'pirate' ?

Sean.

Bedders..    pirate
20/03/2009 at 12:15

maw - I remember it well. It was 31 degrees in 2007 and uniquely it was stopped as a race after the third lady finished due to the heat and that Rotterdam city council had ran out of ambulances (true). I think it was a Dutch championship race so they had to have a first, second and third. I had reached the cut off point which was 10km to go so was allowed to finish. People were coming out of their houses with hoses and watering us down. It was so hot spectators were collapsing! I blogged it here so if you fancy reading all about it please do so - go to April 16th to get the whole story........

Rotterdam has a lovely wide start so there is no congestion a la FLM. I am sure there are KM markers every 1km.

Pirates? Well, I have move from marthoning for this year to training for an Ironman Tri in July in Zurich. Pirates is an unorganised, RW forum based group of likeminded individuals (all slightly mad I think) frankly who see no reason why they can't do an Ironman. If you go to the non running thread you will see more explained. Here is the "official" web site link.

Feel free to join!

Good luck in Rotterdam!

20/03/2009 at 13:46

Yay I have a cold! So had a few beers in lieu of last nights tempo session. But will try getting it in this afternoon, plenty of tissues will be needed. Better now than in a couple of weeks time though.

Thanks for the info Bedders. I didn't belive my mate when he first told me about the heat in 2007. Good news on the wide start as well  

Hope everybody else is well and on target.

Edited: 20/03/2009 at 13:49
81 to 100 of 177 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.